Question about White Pass Railroad in Skagway

metsmom

Just wanted to know if there is a better side of the train to sit on for viewing the White Pass train in Skagway? Is there a better view on either the left or right or does it not matter? I've read not to sit in the first or last car due to to smoke but would like to sit on the side of the train where we might get the best pictures. We are taking the 3 1/2 hour tour. Thanks!!

Edited by metsmom

When you say on the way up it's better on the left, do you change trains to come back down or do you take the same train in reverse? Thanks!

Same train in reverse. The seats flip over so you face forward both ways.

Do they not still ask everyone to switch sides when the train reverses? When I went quite a few years ago everyone happily complied; I wonder if that still is the case.

Same train in reverse. The seats flip over so you face forward both ways.

Do they not still ask everyone to switch sides when the train reverses? When I went quite a few years ago everyone happily complied; I wonder if that still is the case.

On our trip the train just did a turn around on a circular side track and we went down on the same side of the car we were on to begin with and we were facing the opposite side of the tracks. No one was asked to switch sides. This was 7 years ago, btw.

P1010122.jpg.db7b3d78e0264f81fdba4564009fa1e1.jpg

P1010062.jpg.0d466c2b9099f2e827e95937c5390239.jpg

Edited by ar1950

On our trip the train just did a turn around on a circular side track and we went down on the same side of the car we were on to begin with and we were facing the opposite side of the tracks. No one was asked to switch sides. This was 7 years ago, btw.

I had the same experience a couple of years ago & saw both sides of the track without changing seats. The platforms on the ends of the cars are great locations to take photos of both sides of the train.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We went a couple of weeks ago. We caught the train in White pass and rode it down to Skagway. The right side is the scenic side. From what we saw the train pulls into white pass and the engine detaches then turns around and reattaches the opposite side of the passenger cars. On the bus ride up the Left side of the train had the scenic view. I would think that you would need to change sides at white pass. From the non scenic side you can see the mountain face but you can look over to the scenic side. You can also walk around and stand on the back or front deck.

Don't do the excursion round trip - it's way too boring. Nearly all of the narration going up relates to the downhill (left side) scenery. Almost no narration going back down. So if you're stuck on the right side you really miss out.

This is how my trip last September was. They explained that they had the ability to have 3 trains stop and allow them to switch the engine. But on our day there were 4 trains. As we were the first train, we continued on, and rode almost to Fraser, and did a turn back. So we saw both sides without moving to the other side.

So both answers are correct! It depends on whether you are on a train that has the engine move or whether you on the train that continues on and loops back.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the round-trip steam excursion to White Pass (mile 27) last week. When we reached the pass we went onto a loop track and did not switch seats for the return trip - by looping,we switched sides without switching seats. The guide told people that seating wouldn't matter since you'd see both sides, but I thought that sitting on the left on the trip up was better than sitting on the right on the way down. On the way up the train is slower and you have a better opportunity for photos.