2 Week DIY Trip to Italy

vacationlady

I will be doing a two week DIY trip through Italy. I am looking for recommendations to eat like a local in the following locations. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be doing a write up of my trip on my blog. I will be going to:

Milan

Lake Como

Cinque Terre

Florence

Capri

Amalfi Coast

Positino

Rome

winenchocolate dot com

I suggest you re-think your itinerary, because if you try to accomplish all of this in two weeks you'll do almost nothing but move from place to place and check in and out of hotels.

This was my thought exactly. The OP won't have any time to search for a local restaurant, s/he will be eating on the run!

I suggest you re-think your itinerary, because if you try to accomplish all of this in two weeks you'll do almost nothing but move from place to place and check in and out of hotels.

This was my thought exactly. The OP won't have any time to search for a local restaurant, s/he will be eating on the run!

Sorry, gonna disagree - though diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes.;)

Lake Como (or my preference would be Lago di Garda) is an easy day-trip from a Milan hotel (or vice-versa)

Ditto Cinque Terre from a Florence hotel (or vice versa). And don't forget Pisa.

Capri, Amalfi, Positano (and Ravello, Sorrento, Pompeii, etc) from one hotel base - though it needs care with the hotel location if relying on local public transport.

And Rome. (BTW the locals eat-out mainly in the Trastevere district).

Four hotels in 14 days. Doesn't seem OTT to me.:)

But as to choices of eateries, yes, check out TripAdvisor. Cruisers have very little experience of evening dining ashore, even in places like Rome.

Geography suggests that a flight home from Naples would be better than from Rome, but there may be other considerations.

JB :)

Thanks for the feedback. We are already booked for the flights. Some of these places we are visiting we have been to before. Others are new. Only staying in 6 hotels in 2 weeks. My type of travel is not for everyone, but we enjoy it. It also allows us to decide if we want to return for a longer stay, such as Capri, We have been to Capri and now returning for 2 nights. We are staying in Positino and doing day trips from there. Been to Rome several times but they had the best flights back for us. Will be writing about it when I return.

Wish I could help with restaurant recommendations. All the places you are going are lovely. Milan was my least favorite place in Italy- so if you have ax one place off the list-it would be Milan. It's modern and not charming.

Bellagio and Varenna are lovely on Lake Como. Varenna is easy to reach by train and I'd stay there. You'll find quaint places to eat anywhere.

I think you could easily cut your trip down to five hotels. That would give you a minimum of three nights everywhere except Rome where you've already been.

Varenna- great base for exploring the Lake. Convenient trains run from Milan Central. 50 minute journey. From there boats criss-cross the lake.

Proto Venere- great base for exploring the Cinque Terre

Florence- great base for Tuscany

Sorrento- great base for the Amalfi and Capri

Rome- one night before flying home.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I will be doing a two week DIY trip through Italy. I am looking for recommendations to eat like a local in the following locations. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be doing a write up of my trip on my blog. I will be going to:

Milan

Lake Como

Cinque Terre

Florence

Capri

Amalfi Coast

Positino

Rome

winenchocolate dot com

Fabulous itinerary! I like your kind of travel ... slow travel! Most of these cities you can use as your home base and take day trips.

I am not sure if you will have a rental car, but if so, then be sure to drive through Montalcino, on your way down from Florence to the Amalfi Coast. Visit the amazing Brunello di Montalcino wineries.

Restaurant suggestions:

Capri: Michel'angelo

Amalfi Coast (we usually stay in Praiano for a week): Restaurant il Pino, La Strada (amazing pizza), Bar Mare, Tramonto d'Oro, Onda Verde

Positano: Hotel Splendido (not cheap, but the views are spectacular)

Some of these places we are visiting we have been to before. Others are new. Only staying in 6 hotels in 2 weeks.

Fabulous itinerary! I like your kind of travel ... slow travel!

Am I missing something? Six hotels in 2 weeks is slow travel? :confused:

To the OP, lest you think I am picking on you, my suggestion would be to look for food blogs (there are a couple of good ones by Americans living in Italy, particularly for Rome) or at recommendations given on sites like Chowhound. Often better recommendations can be found there than from folks who've only visited for a day or two in a place.

Am I missing something? Six hotels in 2 weeks is slow travel? :confused:

To the OP, lest you think I am picking on you, my suggestion would be to look for food blogs (there are a couple of good ones by Americans living in Italy, particularly for Rome) or at recommendations given on sites like Chowhound. Often better recommendations can be found there than from folks who've only visited for a day or two in a place.

Many of the cities listed do not require a hotel stay in each. You can easily do day trips for some.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app