Port Canaveral - Cocoa Beach, worth getting off the ship?

heyabbott

We are not interested in sight seeing but love sitting at the beach. Is Cocoa Beach worth going to? The ship's excursion drops you off at Ron Jon's and apparently runs back and forth. If there's nothing special about Cocoa Beach, I'm happy to lay about the ship in port.

How easy is it to get a cab back and forth to the ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cocoa Beach pier is interesting, and so is Ron Jon's. Worth spending an hour or two, depending on the cost of excursion.

Not interested in NASA?

Edited by clarea

There are also some good restaurants right on the canal where the ships depart. Fishlips and Milliken's Reef come to mind. There is also the recently opened Discovery Tower right at the port.

Cocoa Beach by Ron Jon's can be a lot of fun and, living in Orlando, I have been there often.

It is a nice beach and Ron Jon's is a great place for swimsuits (particularly for hard-to-find small sizes).

My dream is to look for small sizes, then I wake up in XL shorts

I believe RCI charges $16/person for a ride to ron Jon's and back. You cannot get a cab, as there are not that many cabs in cocoa beach, and the ones working, are hired by a tour operator set up in the parking lot, who will sell you transportation to ron Jon's and back for about $10/person. If you could get a cab, the cost would be about $6 to $10 each way. The day we were there, it was very hot and humid and as we have been to cocoa beach before, we just got back on the ship and enjoyed the pool deck. We do enjoy the cocoa beach pier, but didn't think it was worth the high transportation charge.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are there any car rentals right at the pier/port?

The offices are not right at the port, but there are free shuttles at the port that take you back and forth to the offices, which are within 2-3 miles.

The offices are not right at the port, but there are free shuttles at the port that take you back and forth to the offices, which are within 2-3 miles.

Thank You :) :)

I don't believe they are open on Sunday.

If we are taking about Port Canaveral, there are several car rental agencies open on Sunday.

If we are talking about Galveston, I agree, no rental agenceis open on Sunnday.

I believe RCI charges $16/person for a ride to ron Jon's and back. You cannot get a cab, as there are not that many cabs in cocoa beach, and the ones working, are hired by a tour operator set up in the parking lot, who will sell you transportation to ron Jon's and back for about $10/person. If you could get a cab, the cost would be about $6 to $10 each way. The day we were there, it was very hot and humid and as we have been to cocoa beach before, we just got back on the ship and enjoyed the pool deck. We do enjoy the cocoa beach pier, but didn't think it was worth the high transportation charge.

Thanks. I love the ship when everyone is off it.

car rentals are def'tly open on Sunday (that's Freedom OTS turnaround day - lots of business)

if visiting via GRANDEUR OTS, they normally use the pier that makes Jetty Park walking distance . . . great beach, fishing pier ... small concession area .. you can rent fishing gear, surf boards, SUP boards, kayaks, chairs, umbrella and bikes

http://www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com/park_index

in this picture, GRA usually uses the old south terminal making the walk to the surf line under 1/2 mile

portcanaveralterminals_zps830d7583.jpg

once on the beach you can walk south 40 miles b4 the next inlet blocks your path in Sebastian . . . at low tide you could ride a bike . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

If we are taking about Port Canaveral, there are several car rental agencies open on Sunday.

If we are talking about Galveston, I agree, no rental agenceis open on Sunnday.

Thanks for clarifying that