Docking in Livorno

Last time we went to Livorno 2 years ago we docked in the industrial port and you couldn't walk off ship, a shuttle bus was required.

The cruise news from last year I have just seen states that they docked at the terminal close to the town and you could just walk off.

Does anyone that's been recently know if this has been happening this year?

As there are no other ships in port on that day I suspect we may be in the closer dock.

You might be thinking "does it matter?" It's just that it's so much easier for MIL in wheelchair if we can just get straight off without the hassle of getting on and off coaches.

Ta

Joe.

Just to let you know Joe it was not a coach it was a bus and it had a low platform so I am sure that you will get your MIL on with minimum disruption, people were getting buggies on and off with the children in them.

Also at Civataveccia there was a bus to the port (quite a long walk by the way, we were told you were not allowed to undertake!!) which we had to pay 5 euros each to use!!

Thanks for that info Kopite, most helpful.:)

It seems a bit naughty that you have to pay if you are not allowed to walk off at Civitaveccia.

Kirk, there is now a smaller terminal closer to the Town that smaller ships sometime dock at. Think it's only been built quite recently.

We did not have to pay 3 weeks ago at Civitaveccia, but we were dropped off at a different point to the one shown on the Thomson's map and had a longer walk to the centre. There appeared to be road works/improvements going on near the usual drop off point. However we did have to pay at Livorno last year!

We docked close to the town centre in Livorno with OV2 in 2009 so the container port last year was a bit of a shock!:eek:

Sounds like it's pot luck as to where you get docked, that's cruising I suppose:confused:

If you are allowed to walk off and choose to pay for a bus I think that's fine, but if you cannot walk off and are charged that's naughty. The port authority should be providing it FOC or the cost stood by the cruise line.

We did not have to pay 3 weeks ago at Civitaveccia, but we were dropped off at a different point to the one shown on the Thomson's map and had a longer walk to the centre. There appeared to be road works/improvements going on near the usual drop off point. However we did have to pay at Livorno last year!

We docked close to the town centre in Livorno with OV2 in 2009 so the container port last year was a bit of a shock!:eek:

Thanks Sheila.

Just been checking Civitaveccia out and it looks like you get dropped off near the fire station now instead of the McDonalds by the fortress. Scoping some of the roads (with street view) from there heading into town they don't look very wheelchair friendly, but that's Italy I suppose.

Yes Joe, we were dropped beside the fire station and walked along a busy street for quite a bit while trying to note landmarks for finding our way back! I don't think it will be particularly wheelchair friendly but it was pretty flat all the way.

We've only once docked near the town centre in Livorno- that was some years ago on the Island Escape. We were just a stone's throw from the fishmarket & monument to the slaves, and could just walk into town in minutes.

The other 4 times have been in the container port.

I think it's just down to luck (and size of ship)

kate

When we were in Livorno this week, we were able to walk into town. We were berthed in front of the coastguard building. Turn right at the end of the pier and walk about 100m. Turn left and cross the bridge and you are at the start of the town centre.