Celebrity Cruises - dropped ball on our 50th

mistershine

My wife and I recently took the Solstice out of Seattle, on a very enjoyable Alaska cruise.

We had a great 6 days - everything was excellent.

The 7th/last day ended up being a huge letdown - ruining the cruise.

Our 50th wedding anniversary was supposed to be celebrated that night,

and absolutely nothing was done.

A real disappointment.

I have had some contact with representatives of Celebrity/Royal Carribean

since the cruise, but they have no explanation as to why this happened, except to say there is NO GUARANTEE that any celebration will happen for any occassion such as our 50th.

Their apologies have been less than sincere.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this ?

I am very disappointed that they dropped the ball on a major event,

and perhaps more angered that they are just brushing it off lightly.

Like its no big deal, sorry...

Thank you - Rich

Edited by mistershine

Had you made specific plans with them or just marked your reservation as having a special event?

Just curious, did you know about Cruise Critic before your cruise or did you go looking for a place just to make this complaint?

First, welcome to Cruise Critic. The track record of first time posters posting a negative comment returning to give more details is not good. I hope that you are the exception and give more details so that others might be helped.

Did you book through a Travel Agent or Celebrity?

Did you tell your TA (if you used one) that it was your 50th?

Did they tell Celebrity?

If you booked directly through celebrity did you tell them it was your 50th?

Did you purchase the special anniversary package?

A special event may enhance your chance of an invitation to a Captain's Table, but doesn't guarantee it.

They usually do present you with a small cake and the waiters sing "Happy Anniversary". If they really know you, you may get a larger cake, but that's about it.

Congratulations on your 50th. We are celebrating our 48th on Silhouette and expect nothing special. Just a wonderful cruise with new friends and some old.

Edited by Orator

We usually sail with Celebrity every year on our anniversary. Also, on our 50th

Celebrity has never done anything special for us and we always indicate the anniversary on our documents. They do have a "Honeymoon-Anniversary party for anyone celebrating. They send invitations to the event. It's a fun party with a big cake and champagne etc. They take pictures of each couple in front of the cake etc. I'm surprised you didn't get an invite to that party if you indicated your anniversary on your reservations.

My wife and I recently took the Solstice out of Seattle, on a very enjoyable Alaska cruise.

We had a great 6 days - everything was excellent.

The 7th/last day ended up being a huge letdown - ruining the cruise.

Our 50th wedding anniversary was supposed to be celebrated that night,

and absolutely nothing was done.

A real disappointment.

I have had some contact with representatives of Celebrity/Royal Carribean

since the cruise, but they have no explanation as to why this happened, except to say there is NO GUARANTEE that any celebration will happen for any occassion such as our 50th.

Their apologies have been less than sincere.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this ?

I am very disappointed that they dropped the ball on a major event,

and perhaps more angered that they are just brushing it off lightly.

Like its no big deal, sorry...

Thank you - Rich

We had our anniversary on the January Infinity, Around the Horn of South America and X did remember it. We paid nothing for the small cake. Had they forgotten, we wouldn't have been terribly unhappy. But it was nice they did remember.

Two years ago we were having a problem with Celebrity and had a number of conversations with people in Miami. One asked when we would be on our next cruise and I told them it would be in January for our anniversary. The cruise arrived and nothing, not even the usual small cake, was presented. We were disappointed as we were and are frequent Celebrity cruisers. I mentioned our disappointment to someone on another cruise and the next year on our anniversary cruise we found a bottle of Chandon Brut (not the cheap stuff) and a dish of chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin. I didn't find a card so called Guest Relations. They told me that they were a gift from someone at Corporate wishing us a Happy Anniversary. Interestingly, we didn't tell anyone that this was our anniversary cruise. Life has a way of balancing things out.

I did not join just to post negative comments. We enjoy cruising, and hope to do more,

so I looked and found this site.

We did not pay anything extra for a celebration.

The cruise was booked through a AAA travel agent/conselor - specifically to celebrate

our 5oth anniversary.

We did tell her it was our 50th anniversary - she asked what night we would like to have the celebration/recognition - she suggested the last night, we agreed.

She did notify Celebrity, and they acknowledged/confirmed.

We were not even offered any special "anniversary package", so no, we did not purchase

any special package - just the cruise, and we upgraded our cabin selection.

We had dinner in Blu, except for one night earlier in the week. The food was great,

and so was the service. Entertainment was outstanding, crew was all nice.

We took a cruise for our 25th, on the Sovereign Of The Seas - they recognized our

anniversary with a cake, and think they sang. We expected at least the same of this

even bigger event.

We do want to take a river cruise in Germany, and we also want to introduce our friends

to cruising, by way of a short 2-4 day cruise from FL next Winter. So in answer to the

one question: I did not know of this site until today, and I did not join just so I could bash Celebrity for dropping the ball. I want to get opinions on the other cruises we

want to take in the future.

We usually sail with Celebrity every year on our anniversary. Also, on our 50th

Celebrity has never done anything special for us and we always indicate the anniversary on our documents. They do have a "Honeymoon-Anniversary party for anyone celebrating. They send invitations to the event. It's a fun party with a big cake and champagne etc. They take pictures of each couple in front of the cake etc. I'm surprised you didn't get an invite to that party if you indicated your anniversary on your reservations.

That is exactly what I was told "should have happened",

by one of the Guest Relations staff, after the fact. He agreed that it was

"unacceptable" that we were not recognized in any way,

especially when it was on our reservation & confirmation.

Sorry to hear that the lack of acknowledgement ruined your cruise. Were you expecting something big? That's a shame that you had a great 6 days and then one day ruined the whole thing.

Last year, though it was on Princess, we also had our anniversary. We marked it on our booking. We didn't get the little poster or balloons on our door. We were a little disappointed. In fact, they knew bc we got the card for the "free" dessert on the actual day. But they didn't put the balloons and poster. Yes we were disappointed, but we didn't let it ruin our entire cruise.

I did not join just to post negative comments. We enjoy cruising, and hope to do more,

so I looked and found this site.

We did not pay anything extra for a celebration.

The cruise was booked through a AAA travel agent/conselor - specifically to celebrate

our 5oth anniversary.

We did tell her it was our 50th anniversary - she asked what night we would like to have the celebration/recognition - she suggested the last night, we agreed.

She did notify Celebrity, and they acknowledged/confirmed.

We were not even offered any special "anniversary package", so no, we did not purchase

any special package - just the cruise, and we upgraded our cabin selection.

We had dinner in Blu, except for one night earlier in the week. The food was great,

and so was the service. Entertainment was outstanding, crew was all nice.

We took a cruise for our 25th, on the Sovereign Of The Seas - they recognized our

anniversary with a cake, and think they sang. We expected at least the same of this

even bigger event.

We do want to take a river cruise in Germany, and we also want to introduce our friends

to cruising, by way of a short 2-4 day cruise from FL next Winter. So in answer to the

one question: I did not know of this site until today, and I did not join just so I could bash Celebrity for dropping the ball. I want to get opinions on the other cruises we

want to take in the future.

Once again: WELCOME.

The problem might be centered around dining in Blu. Several past posters, including me, have reported not getting a cake in Blu. The situation I reported above occurred in Blu. We could not understand it since many of the waiters were friends from past cruises. Be interesting to read of other experiences with special cakes in Blu.

welcome to cruise critic. Happy Anniversary! What a milestone. :)

Having said that, I personally don't think they dropped the ball. Would it have been a nice gesture to do something, absolutely, but drop the ball...dont think so. I have no idea why the TA made a big deal out of it considering it is NOT a guarantee that something would be done.

Life is short so I would not spend alot of time worrying whether Celebrity gave me a cake or did something special. If I wanted something special, I would pay for it.

Edited by H2OH!

We had our anniversary on the January Infinity, Around the Horn of South America and X did remember it. We paid nothing for the small cake. Had they forgotten, we wouldn't have been terribly unhappy. But it was nice they did remember.

I guess I'm even mor eupset, because one of the head waiters in the Ocean View (deck 14) stopped and asked us one day if it wa sour 1st cruise, and we said no, our 6th. He asked if it was a special occassion,

and we said yes, our 50th anniversary. He took out a small notebook,

and made note of our names, cabin number, when teh anniversary was

supposed to be recognized, and said he wanted to follow up,

and make sure that is was in fact recognized. Nice of him to think of doing, but maybe he forgot that he wrote it down ?

Just another reason to wonder what happened, and why ?

Celebrity offers "special occasion" packages that you can pre-order and pay for. The only other thing I've ever heard of is maybe getting a small cake.

It's too bad that you had an excellent cruise for 6 days and then the whole experience was for naught because they didn't bring you a cake. I assume that the purpose of your cruise was not just to have someone bring you a cake and sing at your table?

Try to remember the happy times you had on the cruise, and the fact that you were able to enjoy such a wonderful time after so many happy (we assume) years together. I understand your disappointment, but it's really not a big deal in the scheme of things.

welcome to cruise critic. Happy Anniversary! What a milestone. :)

Having said that, I personally don't think they dropped the ball. Would it have been a nice gesture to do something, absolutely, but drop the ball...dont think so. I have no idea why the TA made a big deal out of it considering it is NOT a guarantee that something would be done.

Life is short so I would not spend alot of time worrying whether Celebrity gave me a cake or did something special. If I wanted something special, I would pay for it.

I agree with most of what you said, and thank you for the anniversary wishes, and yes - it is a milestone.

What I don't agree with, is that I wanted something special, I should pay for it.

Nothing "special" was offered.

We didn't ask if they did anything, the TA offered the recognition.

Sorry, I have to disagree - they did drop the ball.

If it is not a guarantee, why do the TA's ask/offer ?

Life is too short, and eventually I will get past it - someday...

Celebrity offers "special occasion" packages that you can pre-order and pay for. The only other thing I've ever heard of is maybe getting a small cake.

It's too bad that you had an excellent cruise for 6 days and then the whole experience was for naught because they didn't bring you a cake. I assume that the purpose of your cruise was not just to have someone bring you a cake and sing at your table?

Try to remember the happy times you had on the cruise, and the fact that you were able to enjoy such a wonderful time after so many happy (we assume) years together. I understand your disappointment, but it's really not a big deal in the scheme of things.

The reason for the cruise was not to have somebody bring us a cake,

it was to celebrate our big anniversary, and see more of this beautiful country.

Yes - we have had 50 very happy years together, and hope to have many more.

I agree with most of what you said, and thank you for the anniversary wishes, and yes - it is a milestone.

What I don't agree with, is that I wanted something special, I should pay for it.

Hi:)

I really think you should get back to your TA and relate this unpleasant experience.

I have found that celebrations aboard Celebrity ships are happening less and less. Last September was my DH's 60th birthday. I told the agent when we booked that the day we boarded was his 60th birthday and I wanted to celebrate the next night (since the first night is always so unorganized). I even mentioned it to our waiter. Nothing!!! Good thing it was a 2 week cruise, after mentioning it 3 times to the waiter we finally got a small cake the second to the last night of the cruise.

Edited by CruisingChick

I would be more disappointed with your TA if THEY didn't send you something. Your business should be important to them. THEY "offered the recognition" (in your words) not Celebrity. Should Celebrity have done something? Yes, they should have, but they didn't promise anything, your TA did.

Maybe sometimes it just depends on the ship. We usually sail around the time of my husband's birthday and I always mark on My Celebrity what night we want to celebrate it. We usually get a piece of cake and a happy birthday singalong. I think they might have missed one time but we weren't too bothered about it.

Now that I think about it, though, on the past couple of cruises I don't remember hearing a lot of "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary" singing in the MDR which you used to hear all the time.

On the other hand, we were on a one-nighter with Princess about a month ago and noted we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. There were balloons on our door, a banner, a card and coupons inside for a free drink. So you never know...

The reason for the cruise was not to have somebody bring us a cake,

it was to celebrate our big anniversary, and see more of this beautiful country.

Yes - we have had 50 very happy years together, and hope to have many more.

I should have also said happy anniversary. 50 years is an amazing achievement.

We will be celebrating our 25th on a cruise next year. I am thinking of purchasing one of the packages Celebrity offers. Many people who cruise do so in honour of a milestone (birthday, anniversary, graduation, retirement, etc.) I imagine the chefs could spend whole days just making celebration cakes.

However....it does sound like several people you spoke to (including your TA) led you to believe that some sort of hoopla would occur and I can see how it would be disappointing not to have it acknowledged in any way. Have you spoken to your TA? I would be curious as to what sort of celebration they had planned, or expected that Celebrity would do.

I would be more disappointed with your TA if THEY didn't send you something. Your business should be important to them. THEY "offered the recognition" (in your words) not Celebrity. Should Celebrity have done something? Yes, they should have, but they didn't promise anything, your TA did.

The "TA" offered it because, it was (I believe) offered by Celebrity.

The "TA" offered it because, it was (I believe) offered by Celebrity.

Believe me, this is not something that is ever offered by Celebrity. It's not a part of any package or promotion. This is something that they do when possible if they know about a special occasion. Your TA probably gave you the wrong impression of what would happen. Independent of anything that Celebrity might have done, the TA should have sent you something. A bottle, flowers, extra OBC, something. That they didn't would cause me to seek out another TA. I'm still interested to learn if dining in Blu was a factor. I feel that it may have been.

Our cruise last year was in honour of our 20th anniversary (3 years late but we finally got around to it). Our TA gave us a bottle of wine. She also gave us some OBC just for booking with her.

As far as I know the only thing Celebrity will do (maybe, sometimes) for free is give you a small cake.

If you want something more festive (flowers, flower petals, sparkling wine, chocolate strawberries, etc.) then there is an area on the website where you can purchase this.

It sounds like something was lost in translation somewhere between your TA, Celebrity and yourself.

Pleased that you enjoyed six days of your cruise and the seventh day ruined the whole experience.:(

I am currently on a roll call. One of the couples is celebrating their 50th anniversary (I do not know them) so our roll call is celebrating with a lunch on a sea day. On the roll call, one person suggested having a lunch (a member of the roll call e-mailed the couple to see that it was o.k. with them). Another member of the roll call is following up with the Maître d to arrange for a table(s). Everyone on the roll call was invited via the private e-mail to attend the lunch. I am not sure if anyone on the roll call has ever sailed with this couple -- we just thought it would be a nice gesture and help them celebrate. They were not expecting anything for their 50th anniversary.

Unfortunately, as you just 'found' cruise critic, perhaps the next time you cruise, you can join a roll call and see what activities they are having and perhaps celebrate your 51st anniversary with a luncheon etc. - just a thought.