Just Booked and UPSET! Advice?

I agree with both statements. I will also say be extremely thankful that you don't actually need a handicap assessable room. You won't miss 40 s.f. Look at the big picture....you're on a cruise to Bermuda with your beautiful family.

Actually I was wrong, the difference is actually 106 sq ft! I even offered to pay a little more for a bigger balcony room, but 1,400$ more since I just paid an exorbitant premium for this 5 day cruise (with an infant) just isn't fair.

I was promised something and wasn't given it due to an employee error, I will make memories but at this price, I just want a comfortable room with space for us and for my Daughter to tumble around. :(

They will lose every penny. And you know that. Seriously.

If I didn't do the responsible thing and pay cash (debit), and used my card, I would get every penny back...but you are right, I'm screwed if cancel!

OP I know you are trying hard to get a better cabin....I hope you get what will suit you best....

after trying all you can, and if you can't change, I hope you enjoy your cruise....lining up pros and cons on a paper it looks like going ahead on the cruise it the best workable option even with the cabin you have given all the facts you have posted....

by now you have probably calmed down and I hope your not happy wife is too....if it seems like you will be going forward on your cruise in 1377 you will get your money's worth better making the most of the cabin assigned

I would be upset also....but then I let that go when it becomes counter-productive...

Congrats on the first year with your daughter and have a relaxing and good cruise :)

Can you ask them to review the conversation with the rep? Probably no triples left to change into but maybe if they see she was wrong, they may give you some obc.

Hmmm. I WISH I would have read this prior to hanging up with customer service for the 2nd time. Main reason why, is that the customer service rep insinuated (after saying "I don't want to insinuate") that I may have been mistaken about my room (or just flat out lying).

Do they record all conversations? If they do, there is no way out because it is clear what the lady said to me, we had a 30 minute conversation and much of it about how awesome this "handicap" room would be.

I hate to say it, because after sailing NCL quite a bit, I have been wanting to go RCI. I would have forgiven them, but the way this is being handled is just dreadful. No one has even acknowledged that an RCI employee made (an honest) mistake. And surely not even attempted to fix it.

The last rep told me that he can assure me this room is big enough for us. I told him that was he is saying is completely subjective, and I would not have selected this sailing, at this price, for that room. I had other options, but now I do not.

I am beyond aggravated right now so sorry if I am rambling. I was on the fence because of the high price, but said the heck with it because I wanted to go on RCI. If I knew this would have happened, I would have just got a balcony on NCL in August along with 2 more days AND saved $800. I wanted the nursery and wanted to give RCI a try.

Edited by dinzitari

I would cancel and find something else...

I think the OP has pretty comprehensively explained that many options have been looked at, including that other options would not work in the time frames.

I agree that the "t" sign means 2 Pullman beds, and I think that gives you a very strong case that the cabin number was not really what you discussed when booking an infant. I believe there is an age restriction for Pullman beds? That could be worth bringing up when you ring again.

I would recommend ring again and asking to speak to a supervisor. That is no cheap deal. I hope you can get it sorted, but there are a lot of spaces around the ship where you will be able to spend nice time with the child. You can push the issue again once you are on the ship, but they rarely know what has happening with bookings, and there has to come a time where you decide to let go of the disappointment and enjoy the time with the family.

EDIT: just read your recent post...ring again. We rang and it took about 45 minutes per day for 4 days straight to sort something out a while back. You will get another rep on the phone, and if you don't feel the attitude is helpful, ask for a supervisor.

Edited by goodycruising

From what I understand... even an accessible cabin... though larger... if not rated for 3 or more passengers.. you can not add a 3rd or 4th. Accessible cabins do have more room but when you went to book you didn't even know you could get an accessible cabin. So you were looking for an inside? And you got an inside? You'll be fine with your wife and child in an inside. The location is not bad. The cabin is adequate. And at this very moment there are no cabins available except for balcony cabins. You were lucky to snag an interior (which is what you expected when you called, right?) I hope you enjoy your cruise... and I'm sure if you yell loud enough RCI will upgrade you to a balcony... it just seems you got what you originally wanted...and are unhappy with that. I do hope you can enjoy your cruise.

OP I know you are trying hard to get a better cabin....I hope you get what will suit you best....

after trying all you can, and if you can't change, I hope you enjoy your cruise....lining up pros and cons on a paper it looks like going ahead on the cruise it the best workable option even with the cabin you have given all the facts you have posted....

by now you have probably calmed down and I hope your not happy wife is too....if it seems like you will be going forward on your cruise in 1377 you will get your money's worth better making the most of the cabin assigned

I would be upset also....but then I let that go when it becomes counter-productive...

Congrats on the first year with your daughter and have a relaxing and good cruise :)

Believe me, I will enjoy it even if I'm stuck sleeping in the bathroom! I sailed in a tight cabin before when I took my two younger brothers and wife as a treat a few years back. It was basically a room full of clothes but I couldn't afford to get them their own cabin back then.

I just feel ripped off, and as a business owner it makes me angry to see a multi billion dollar corporation turn their back on me. The one time I made a huge mistake for a client, I gave them everything I could AND refunded their in full for my mistake.

I will try one more time tomorrow, and will request them to review the sales call. After that, I'm back to smiling for our first family trip!

Edited by dinzitari

From what I understand... even an accessible cabin... though larger... if not rated for 3 or more passengers.. you can not add a 3rd or 4th. Accessible cabins do have more room but when you went to book you didn't even know you could get an accessible cabin. So you were looking for an inside? And you got an inside? You'll be fine with your wife and child in an inside. The location is not bad. The cabin is adequate. And at this very moment there are no cabins available except for balcony cabins. You were lucky to snag an interior (which is what you expected when you called, right?) I hope you enjoy your cruise... and I'm sure if you yell loud enough RCI will upgrade you to a balcony... it just seems you got what you originally wanted...and are unhappy with that. I do hope you can enjoy your cruise.

It seems everyone is misunderstanding my "big picture" viewpoint. I called not for an interior, but to see if there were ANY rooms available, because every time I plugged in three guests, it either said "sold out" or can not be booked online.

I settled for the interior though I would LOVE a balcony, because I wanted to sail RCI for the new experience (all NCL ships feel the same) and RCI has a nursery....HUGE!

But, at this price, I would have went NCL...... I still almost did. The value just isn't there, and if I would have known this was the room we were getting, I would not have booked.

Supposedly they record conversations. So I would call tomorrow morning and ask them to do this. At least it would show that the agent described the room to you inaccurately. You are paying a lot for that inside so I would persist.

Im sorry to bring up another point.... You mentioned the nursery a couple of times, but if you are sailing on Explorer of the Seas, they do not currently have a nursery (I believe they will after dry dock next year). We will be traveling on the Explorer in September with a 14 month old, and know that while they do offer some babysitting for a fee, the do not have a dedicated nursery.

Im sorry to bring up another point.... You mentioned the nursery a couple of times, but if you are sailing on Explorer of the Seas, they do not currently have a nursery (I believe they will after dry dock next year). We will be traveling on the Explorer in September with a 14 month old, and know that while they do offer some babysitting for a fee, the do not have a dedicated nursery.

WOW. You have no idea have much you just saved our vacation. I am on hold now requesting to cancel this sailing. I'm also on the website and it says "royal tots" is on this ship, and when you follow that link, it says dedicated nursery! Yet, the rep has just confirmed this ship does not have a nursery. She tried to offer me in room babysitting. So, I want to pay MORE, to have my child sit in a dark small room with a stranger by herself?

This has been a nightmare experience to say the least.

Funny thing is, I called back just a little bit ago (third time) and requested them to review the call which they obliged and said they would do in the morning. Again, I can't thank you enough for responding to this thread.

Edited by dinzitari

WOW. You have no idea have much you just saved our vacation. I am on hold now requesting to cancel this sailing. I'm also on the website and it says "royal tots" is on this ship, and when you follow that link, it says dedicated nursery! Yet, the rep has just confirmed this ship does not have a nursery. She tried to offer me in room babysitting. So, I want to pay MORE, to have my child sit in a dark small room with a stranger by herself?

This has been a nightmare experience to say the least.

Funny thing is, I called back just a little bit ago (third time) and requested them to review the call which they obliged and said they would do in the morning. Again, I can't thank you enough for responding to this thread.

Wow!! I am so sorry for the nightmare booking you've dealt with tonight! I really, really hope you follow this up the chain tomorrow, going as high as you can. The website shows an amenity that isn't available. The customer service rep tells you you are in a room that you aren't and no one else has been helpful. If I were you I'd be telling them that cancelling your reservation and keeping ANY of that money would be unacceptable. They should get you on another cruise ASAP with no penalty or give you back your money from this one AND give you obc for another cruise! Outrageous!

I'm sure you made a the best choice in cancelling. I hope you are able to recover your $$$. Traveling last minute in the summer is never a cost saving, but rather an expensive choice.

When I book I always have the rep email me confirmation, while I'm on the phone, and I check the confirmation before hanging up. Please, if you cancel, and if they say you will get a refund, make sure you get a confirming email, prior to hanging up -- and read the confirming email closely.

I hope you find a cruise that suits you and your family.

I think what the problem is there are no cabins available for 3. Are you aware that there is a New Jersey Resident discount? The price for 2 in a balcony cabin is only a few dollars more than what you paid. $3034.88 I can't imagine that a 3rd person in a cabin would be over $1,000 more for a 5 night cruise.

Maybe they could give you a balcony cabin for 2, being you are traveling with a baby and will be using a pack and play.

I'm also on the website and it says "royal tots" is on this ship, and when you follow that link, it says dedicated nursery! Yet, the rep has just confirmed this ship does not have a nursery.

I looked it up earlier too and when you follow the link specific to Explorer, it said both the nursery and tots programs are on this ship - YET at the end of the description it says the nursery is on select ships only.

I'm so sorry for all you've been through. I wonder if tomorrow will bring something different? I do predict a happy ending to this story, I really do... I think RCI will come through for you if they review that phone call and see their error.

Well, before getting some sleep I'll provide the latest update. I called to cancel and the initial "basic" rep said i'd have to pay cancellation fee ( which is 100%). I'm sure that's just her instructed textbook response.

Got to a higher level, nice lady, but didn't budge to much. She asked me if anyone ever advised me if the cruise had a nursery. I told her how when I originally booked, that I specifically said I was booking the cruise because of the nursery, and rep did not alert me. Rep also said my (wrong) cabin was right near the nursery. Looking back at this, i'm completely dumbfounded, and can see why the supervisors are questioning the authenticity of all of this.... this phone call may get this poor sales rep in a heap of trouble.... just completely a lack of ability on her part.

Told me they will attempt to obtain the call from the Miami office tomorrow morning, and then take it from there. I don't see why the error on their website isn't enough for them to just give me back our darned money.

Well, hopefully they can obtain this call transcript... this ship sets sail in two weeks, needless to say I am going to toss and turn tonight.

I looked it up earlier too and when you follow the link specific to Explorer, it said both the nursery and tots programs are on this ship - YET at the end of the description it says the nursery is on select ships only.

I'm so sorry for all you've been through. I wonder if tomorrow will bring something different? I do predict a happy ending to this story, I really do... I think RCI will come through for you if they review that phone call and see their error.

I hope you are right, but the problem here is that the only sailing I can do (nursery/work schedule) with them is out of baltimore and on the Grandeur in august, which is a ship i'm not interested in.

There my be options to the Bahamas, but I didn't like it there, Bermuda on the other hand was a dream to me.

Edited by dinzitari

I just checked Celebrity Summit is also out of Bayonne for a 7 night cruise on the 27th. The balcony cabin for 3 has a $900 resident discount. Cost for 3 $3097, and 2 extra nights. If you really wanted to save money they have a great price for a guarantee. Maybe when you talk with them, being it's the same parent company, they will let you switch you reservation to the Summit.

Edited by gaylemh

Well, before getting some sleep I'll provide the latest update. I called to cancel and the initial "basic" rep said i'd have to pay cancellation fee ( which is 100%). I'm sure that's just her instructed textbook response.

Got to a higher level, nice lady, but didn't budge to much. She asked me if anyone ever advised me if the cruise had a nursery. I told her how when I originally booked, that I specifically said I was booking the cruise because of the nursery, and rep did not alert me. Rep also said my (wrong) cabin was right near the nursery. Looking back at this, i'm completely dumbfounded, and can see why the supervisors are questioning the authenticity of all of this.... this phone call may get this poor sales rep in a heap of trouble.... just completely a lack of ability on her part.

Told me they will attempt to obtain the call from the Miami office tomorrow morning, and then take it from there. I don't see why the error on their website isn't enough for them to just give me back our darned money.

Well, hopefully they can obtain this call transcript... this ship sets sail in two weeks, needless to say I am going to toss and turn tonight.

If you read the description on the website, it says:

•Royal Babies® and Royal Tots® program

That is different from •Royal Babies & TotsSM Nursery•Royal Babies® and Royal Tots® program

The PROGRAM is like a Mommy & Me program, with a room for parents to play with their kids.

The NURSERY is where you can leave the kids.

Who said that the cabin was near "the nursery"? You or the rep?

I believe that the program is held in the Viking Crown Lounge, although I am not sure of that.

I just checked Celebrity Summit is also out of Bayonne for a 7 night cruise on the 27th. The balcony cabin for 3 has a $900 resident discount. Cost for 3 $3097, and 2 extra nights. If you really wanted to save money they have a great price for a guarantee. Maybe when you talk with them, being it's the same parent company, they will let you switch you reservation to the Summit.

If this is all available as Gail laid it out, then this is your best option. IMO, Royal Caribbean will end up letting you do this. (if you ask)

:)

If you read the description on the website, it says:

•Royal Babies® and Royal Tots® program

That is different from •Royal Babies & TotsSM Nursery•Royal Babies® and Royal Tots® program

The PROGRAM is like a Mommy & Me program, with a room for parents to play with their kids.

The NURSERY is where you can leave the kids.

Who said that the cabin was near "the nursery"? You or the rep?

I believe that the program is held in the Viking Crown Lounge, although I am not sure of that.

Merion, From the Explorer of the Seas page, it says what you mention. When you click on "Royal Tots" right from what you are referring to, one of the items lists (first actually) is dedicated nursery. For those of us who know very little about RCI, (or just about anyone in general) this is misleading.

To answer your question, the sales rep specifically said it was near the nursery. After our call, I looked on the explorer deck plan map and was confused about where it could be, but didn't think much of it at the time.