Images from the Float-out

modelman

I also received the email about the float-out. However, there was something in there that disturbed me. In the email, Viking says the "godmother"of the ship will christen the ship on May 17, 2015, and again in the video, she says she looks forward to launching the ship on May 17, 2015. Uh, what about the cruises prior to this date?

Becki

Becki, That date May 17,2015 is probably some official date. I have seen mention of The Star sailing on April 11, 2015! Sure looks done on the outside! I guess the inside needs some TLC......

Kathy,

Why would they christen the ship after is has already had a couple of cruises? At first I thought that was a misprint and should have read "March" . But then the video says it is"on schedule for delivery on May 17, 2015".

Becki

Kathy,

I had to laugh when I read that! :D My TA said Viking would do their "practice runs" with TA's and other "dignitaries" before the scheduled passenger sailings. Guess they consider us more important? :p

Becki

Thanks for posting the pictures! I also received the email with the video, but haven't yet had a chance to watch it.

You know, in the link Host Andy posted about the naming of the Viking Sea and Viking Sky, they said those two ships were due to launch in 2016 so it seems like we should be seeing itineraries soon?

It seems like we booked the Star maiden voyage about two years out, maybe Spring 2013, so it stands to reason that now in the Summer of 2014 we should see something about the other two. I've seen hints on the boards of Bermuda, Antarctica, etc., but it would be nice to have some new itineraries to salivate over.

I also received the email about the float-out. However, there was something in there that disturbed me. In the email, Viking says the "godmother"of the ship will christen the ship on May 17, 2015, and again in the video, she says she looks forward to launching the ship on May 17, 2015. Uh, what about the cruises prior to this date?

Becki

Here is a link to the video: http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star/videos.html?refsrcprg=email&contid=1052567748&ep_mid=10951145&ep_rid=1874109172&segment=PAX&itn=DEFAULT&sdr=CB&creative=DEFAULT#video/viking-star-float-out

I had the same concerns as you when I watched the video and heard that it is on schedule for delivery May 17, 2015. I looked in the brochure I have and there are a few cruise dates in April, 2015 in there, however when I go on the website those cruises are no longer on the site. It looks like the cruises that were scheduled for April have been cancelled. I wonder what happened to the people who booked those cruises. They must have been contacted to schedule other dates?

It seems like we booked the Star maiden voyage about two years out, maybe Spring 2013, so it stands to reason that now in the Summer of 2014 we should see something about the other two. I've seen hints on the boards of Bermuda, Antarctica, etc., but it would be nice to have some new itineraries to salivate over.

We love smaller ocean-going ships, especially Oceania, but after 18 cruises on O I'm starting to feel like "been there, done that". I'm really looking forward to Viking Star with 900 passengers -- a comfortable compromise between 678 (Regatta, Insignia, Nautica) and 1200 on Marina and Riviera. Waiting to see how Viking measures up in the areas of food and ambiance, but I agree that Viking always seems to come up with creative itineraries. And judging from past experience on Viking River Cruises the optional excursions are more reasonably priced than on Oceania.

I had the same concerns as you when I watched the video and heard that it is on schedule for delivery May 17, 2015. I looked in the brochure I have and there are a few cruise dates in April, 2015 in there, however when I go on the website those cruises are no longer on the site. It looks like the cruises that were scheduled for April have been cancelled. I wonder what happened to the people who booked those cruises. They must have been contacted to schedule other dates?

Carol, Those cruises are still sailing, you are not looking in the right place on the website look under Empires of the Mediterranean 11 April 2015 and you will see the dates and all categorizes sold out.

Kathy,

I had to laugh when I read that! My TA said Viking would do their "practice runs" with TA's and other "dignitaries" before the scheduled passenger sailings. Guess they consider us more important?

Of course we are that important Becki, we will come back with our pictures and reviews to CC.......

Edited by kathy9

Carol, Those cruises are still sailing, you are not looking in the right place on the website look under Empires of the Mediterranean 11 April 2015 and you will see the dates and all categorizes sold out.

Of course we are that important Becki, we will come back with our pictures and reviews to CC.......

I looked again and I see where I missed that. I see the cruise on April 11. Why does the video say May 17? We originally booked this cruise and then changed date to September 27.

We are excited to see the video and the progress of the Viking Star. We board the ship 5/16 and it sounds like we will be abroad for the christening ceremony on the 17th. It will be a new experience for us.

D & J

It has ALWAYS been the case that the official christening would be in Bergen, Norway on May 17th, 2015. We were aware of this from the get-go, it was in the literature. Viking Star finishes her maiden cruise in Bergen, and will be "officially" christened at that time.

And no, we "maiden cruisers" are not the shake-down trip, LOL. There will be agents and dignitaries aboard as they take her from Venice to Istanbul, you can be sure of this :-)

Thanks for posting the pictures! I also received the email with the video, but haven't yet had a chance to watch it.

You know, in the link Host Andy posted about the naming of the Viking Sea and Viking Sky, they said those two ships were due to launch in 2016 so it seems like we should be seeing itineraries soon?

They been out for some time now, they're just not that obvious, you have look at the details. We've been booked on the Viking Sea, "Into the Midnight Sun" June 19, 2016 since mid May.

They been out for some time now, they're just not that obvious, you have look at the details. We've been booked on the Viking Sea, "Into the Midnight Sun" June 19, 2016 since mid May.

cmaasfamily, How can you tell what ship you are booked on? I think I will contact my TA and book the Viking Sea.......Hopefully they will make the website more costumer friendly in the near future!

You know, I noticed that the other day when clicking on Viking Sea and then Itineraries, but it just seemed to take me to the main itineraries page and I couldn't tell on which ship the itinerary was being offered that I was viewing, much like what Kathy said. It was really confusing, and many of the itineraries looked the same as the ones for Star. Are they doing the same itineraries like they do with their river ships? I guess I should have checked to see if the dates were staggered by a few days, that would make it more clear.

Do they have christening dates for Sea? What about the maiden voyage?

Our confirmation from Viking states Viking Sky. Sorry, I don't recall when in the reservations process I came to know it was the Sky. Before confirmation, I'm sure, but not precisely when.

It does appear that they are marketing Viking Ocean as a whole and not differentiating between the ships currently. Confusing but somewhat understandable as they are all artist's renderings on unfinished, identical ships.

There are indeed 2016 sailing running in parallel, so the new ships are in the mix. Many 2016 itineraries were added in early May around the time of the announcements of the new ship names.

We've heard nothing on maiden voyages, etc.