This is silly, but Apples?

Suzi-G-

I've only been on one cruise (also on Princess) and don't really recall. We're doing a 10 day cruisetour in Alaska in a few weeks and I was wondering about availability of whole fruit (specifically whole apples or apple slices) while at McKinley and on the ship.

I have a 4yo son who puts away a lot of fruit. :) Problem is he mostly wants apples, bananas, and berries, not so much the sliced melon generally found as buffet or kids' menu "fruit". I'm planning to make a grocery run in Anchorage for portable kid snacks, diapers for my younger son, and a few other items. I'm wondering whether I should add "bag o' apples" to my shopping list? Thoughts? TIA.

You can have fruit delivered to your cabin. There is a card to fill out on the first day. It lists the usual: apples, oranges, bananas, etc. Plus I have frequently added grapes, kiwi. If they have it, so can you:D

In the buffet you will find whole fruit and sliced - all kinds.

Haven't been on a land tour, so don't know what is available there.

You can have fruit delivered to your cabin. There is a card to fill out on the first day. It lists the usual: apples, oranges, bananas, etc. Plus I have frequently added grapes, kiwi. If they have it, so can you:D

Thank you, that is what I thought I remembered on the ship. I think I'm more concerned about the land tour portion since I can't just stop the bus because my kiddo needs a snack. :o

I'd grab some in Anchorage. You can usually find apples and bananas at the lodge espresso shops but on buses, trains, tours, etc. it's going to be harder (if not impossible) to come by. Better bring along. Berries are usually poor in quality and extremely pricey, even in big cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As someone who lives in Anchorage, the availability of fresh fruit is not a problem. We also have berries, which I think are just fine.

Granted, you may be surprised by the prices, but they are available and of really good quality.

I always stock up on granola bars, crackers, and dried fruit for me for tours as I am diabetic. I have found places like whole foods have freeze dried apples, pineapples, pears, and a couple others. They come in single size snack bags in a larger bag of ten. They do take up space in a suitcase but not weight! I love them!

A good mom is always prepared!

Have a great cruise!

I always stock up on granola bars, crackers, and dried fruit for me for tours as I am diabetic. I have found places like whole foods have freeze dried apples, pineapples, pears, and a couple others. They come in single size snack bags in a larger bag of ten. They do take up space in a suitcase but not weight! I love them!

A good mom is always prepared!

Have a great cruise!

Sadly no Whole Foods in Anchorage but Freddy's has all this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Per above ... your son can have all of the apples he wants ON THE SHIP. :)

LuLu

When my son was a bit younger and didn't like salads or most of the appetizers, he would order fruit as his appetizer with dinner (we had Traditional dining). He would specifically request pineapple and banana, as that's what he liked best and there was never a problem getting it.

Also, we've requested sliced apples with dinner - usually green apples when we were feeling a bit motion sick. :o

On our Emerald cruise this year we asked for fruit in our cabin and got apples & bananas as we requested. When I specified that I would like green apples our steward twice told me that only red apples were available. So I went to the buffet and grabbed a few green apples every few days and brought them back to the room.

No idea why the room service apple supply was different than the Horizon Court apples supply! :rolleyes:

Apples are available through room service (in your fruit basket) and also in the buffet. If you buy apples in Anchorage, you can bring them on board, but not take them off board again. In some ports (not Alaska), people have experienced some very hefty fines for bring fruit into port.