I need Asia flight tips

KCSungirl

I am having a hard time figuring out a strategy to book flights from LAX to Singpore, returning from Bangkok over New Year's. Can anyone suggest how I could get a business class ticket for less than $3000? Does anyone know if I can buy upgrades at the airport counter if I buy coach? Anyone with experience on EVA Evergreen class? Thanks for any tips. Sungirl ;-)

That's a tough routing to get cheap during holidays. You almost certainly will not be able to upgrade at the airport, especially since you do not seem to be a frequent flier. (The reason I assume that is that you did not mention upgrading with miles....which a FF would consider up front.) Keep in mind, upgrades are normally offered based on your status with an airline.

If you insist on Business Class, then consider booking thru a consolidator. That's your best chance for cheap tix in a premium class. Also, look at the second-tier airlines.....their prices may be lower (but so will their level of service). Lastly, consider alternative routings.....maybe LAX to BKK, then buy a tix from BKK to SIN.

The reason I say that......let me give you an example. Our cruise ends in Japan. We want to fly Tokyo to LAX or SFO. When we were booking, Y=$1200, C=$3200, and F=$5200 one way. I was looking at all different alternatives. Found out that flights from Taipei (even tho they connect thru Tokyo to the same flights, prices above) are Y=$850, C=$1190, and F=$1900 one way.

So, we bought cheap tix Tokyo to Taipei, then bought F/C tix home, and saved about $3000 per ticket, and there are 6 of us travelling!

I have done much research in trying to book flights for the Winter of 2006 from DAY to Auckland and return to DAY from Osaka, with all long distance flights in Business Class. I contacted individual airlines in which I was interested as well as an airline consolidator and a different travel agent than my "usual" one. The best price, it has turned out, has been offered by the cruise line's air deviation department. The airline consolidator that I contacted offered a price that was close to what the cruise line has offered me, but the consolidator's routing was very unsatisfactory.

Be sure to see what your cruise line can do. (I assume you are cruising.)

Good luck!

"Open Jaw is Not Cheap"

Actually, open jaw is only half of the R/T from A to B, and half of the R/T from C to A. If you are flying into and out of expensive cities, then it can be expensive. But there are no "hidden" or "added" costs for an open jaw booking.

We have always used Cathay Pacific and go through Hong Kong. They sometimes have great specials with conections and transfers to other cities.

The service is great, as is connecting in Hong Kong's airport.

This being said, it is a difficult time to find bargains, but it may be worth the try.

They also code shair and partner with American Airlines if that helps.

I am still in limbo. My husband will fly coach, no problem. I am the one who thinks I might be psycho in coach after 16 hours. ;-) I am trying to use FF miles to upgrade, but at Xmas/New Years it is impossible to find the seats available. So far the best compromise has been EVA economy plus for roughly $200 additional from regular coach. Anyone have experience with this? We want to leave Dec. 25 and return Jan 8. I appreciate the advice. I don't have experience with consolidators and don't know if the holidays are good to use them or not. Thanks, Sungirl

girl....at some point, you are going to have to make an "adult decision" by making your own decision. we can't tell you what to do.

None of us here can tell you what circumstances are going to make you psycho during a 16-hour flight....and what's going to calm your nerves. Maybe you'll like to try and find an airline which has less-expensive seating on the upper deck; maybe that will be too claustrophobic. Maybe it's better for you to get the flights behind you as quickly as possible.....some of the airlines offer mega-flights (non-stop at 16-18 hours)....maybe it's better to fly shorter distances but for a longer period of time (LAX-Hono-Tokyo-HK-SIN, for example).

Personally, I would go crazy in Business Class for a 10 hour flight; thank goodness I've got the miles to always fly with a bed.

Go to the EVA site.....read up about their E+ service. Go to their web site and read what that class offers....and YOU decide if that extra level of service will calm your nerves or if you need to go one level higher.

Then YOU make a decision.

Here are flights which match all your criteria-dates and class of service and price. There is an operational overnight in Manilla (it is really only about 4 hours, as you arrive at 4:00AM and fly to Singapore at 8:00AM.

There are also a lot of EVA flights in business for about $3160 all in, business class. The EVA flights are on 747's and 777, partnered with Singapore Airlines. The Phillipines airline flights are on Airbus equipment, with the exception of the short flight on Singapore Airlines from Manilla to Singapore. If it was my money, I would pay the extra for the 747 and 777. And $3160 all in is very close to your previously stated budget. Those long, Asian flights are made for business or first. I did it one time in coach. NEVER again.

If you need additional help or information, you may email. greatam@earthlink.net. Put cruise critic in the subject line.

2629.15 avg cost/person in US Dollars

$5258.30 total for all passengers

2 adults @ $2629.15 each

Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.

There is a change of airports at the destination.

Airport legend:

LAX: Los Angeles Int'l

HNL: Honolulu Int'l

MNL: Manila Ninoy Aquino Int'l

SIN: Singapore Changi

BKK: Bangkok Int'l

Los Angeles, CA to Singapore, Singapore: 9318 miles 24 hrs 35 min

Philippine Airlines Flight PR113 on an Airbus A340 (jet) in business class

(dinner)

Departs Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Sun, Dec 25 7:15p 5 hrs 50 min

Arrives Honolulu, HI (HNL) 11:05p

Layover in Honolulu 50 min

Philippine Airlines Flight PR113 on an Airbus A340 (jet) in business class

Departs Honolulu, HI (HNL) Sun, Dec 25 11:55p 10 hrs 45 min

Arrives Manila, Philippines (MNL) Tue, Dec 27 4:40a

Layover in Manila 3 hrs 40 min

Singapore Airlines Flight SQ71 on a Boeing 777 (jet) in business class

(meal)

Departs Manila, Philippines (MNL) Tue, Dec 27 8:20a 3 hrs 30 min

Arrives Singapore, Singapore (SIN) 11:50a

Note: The flight from Honolulu (HNL) to Manila (MNL) arrives early in the morning.

Note: There is an overnight stop in Manila (MNL).

Note: You must change terminals in Manila (MNL).

Bangkok, Thailand to Los Angeles, CA: 8657 miles 18 hrs 25 min

Philippine Airlines Flight PR731 on an Airbus A330 (jet) in business class

(lunch)

Departs Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) Sun, Jan 8 1:50p 3 hrs 20 min

Arrives Manila, Philippines (MNL) 6:10p

Layover in Manila 2 hrs 20 min

Philippine Airlines Flight PR112 on an Airbus A340 (jet) in business class

(dinner)

Departs Manila, Philippines (MNL) Sun, Jan 8 8:30p 12 hrs 45 min

Arrives Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 5:15p

Note: The flight from Manila (MNL) to Los Angeles (LAX) is overnight.

So far the best compromise has been EVA economy plus for roughly $200 additional from regular coach. Anyone have experience with this?
As others say, you need to make your own decision about what is acceptable and what isn't. I have every respect for greatam's view about long flights. On the other hand, I regularly do the 23-hour flight from London to Sydney (or back) in economy and hit the ground running when I get to the other end. We would have different break-points about the price at which business class becomes good value for a particular flight.

But if you are being offered premium economy for $200, you don't want to splurge for business, and you would be happy to fly EVA in any event, I would personally grab that offer with both hands and not let it go. Even if it's $200 each way. The extra comfort is worth that money and more; I regularly pay about $360 each way for the equivalent cabin on BA flights, and am happy to do so.

Just another thought. You said you were trying to use miles to upgrade. Do you have enough for an award ticket? I don't know which FF program you participate in, but I can see Business Availability on AA/Oneworld for your dates. Maybe buy one, purchase one.

You could also possibly book AA to NRT and upgrade that leg, if AA is your FF program. But at $500pp co-pay and 50,000 miles, few cheap seats available to Narita for your dates, and you still need to get to Singapore, it would cost you almost as much, not counting the miles, as booking the Phillipines airlines or EVA business.

greatam: thanks for the footwork on those itineraries. I was a little leary of Phillipine Airilines only because I have never flown an Asian airline. Of course, I would prefer Singapore or Cathay Pacific because of what I have read. But, the Phillipine prices were good. I will follow-up with you after I exhaust my FF options.

Kevin, You are lucky to get that First Class bed when you travel. I wish I had the funds for that. Someday..... Travel planning to Asia is not as easy as Europe. Less direct flights, time change, etc. My miles are with NW/CO. I much prefer to buy the coach tickets and use miles to upgrade. My miles go much further that way. Unfortunately the holidays are a tough ticket. EVA (Partner airline) has blackout dates for a month during the holidays. I was looking for some feedback from other people with Asian flight experience as I have none. I appreciate the business vs. ecomnomy, and pricing comments. You didn't mention which airline you booked with??? Can you tell me? Do you know a good consolidator to recommend?

Globaliser, thanks for the input on ecomony plus. It's hard to decide what to spend when I can rationalize every class of service.

I am sure my sleeping problems can be solved with an Ambien and a cocktail. ;-) I was just hoping to get some input so I can make an educated decision if I should spend for B Class or not. I didn't know if $3000 was reasonable or not.

I am booking a cruise from Singapore to Phuket. Maybe I should book with Oceania and take the promo air. Another decision. Calgon......

Oh Happy Day. Sungirl ;-)

girl---We are not flying during the holidays, so we have an advantage over you. And, after our cruise, we are spending an additional week in Japan on our own.

Funny story about our return home. Since we booked cruise-only, I spent numerous days trying to find the cheapest way home. We all know how expensive flights are to/from Japan. Simply stated, one-way Tokyo to either SF or LAX (on United) was about $1200 coach, $3200 business, and $5200 First Class. I was able to find a special, flying Tokyo to Seoul to LA at $2600 business. These are ONE-WAY fares.

Then, the United agent said "Too bad you are not coming home from Taipei." Fares Taipei to SF/LAX are $800 coach, $1200 business, and $1900 First Class, each one-way. So, we got cheap air Tokyo to Taipei, spending the night in the Taipei airport ($78/night for a double room, a transit hotel run by EVA Air, we never have to collect bags or even go thru customs/immigration), then flying from Taipei to LA (WHICH FLIGHT GOES THRU TOKYO AND CONNECTS TO THE SAME ONE WITH THE EXPENSIVE FARES ABOVE!!!!!), and we are saving several thousands of dollars! Go figure airline pricing logic.

We are saving money on the airfare, and we get frequent flier miles (and bonus miles for being booked in a premier cabin!) Sweet deal, IMHO.

cheers

Go figure airline pricing logic.
Supply and demand, supply and demand - as always. The part of that rule that always looks odd is that non-stop flights are usually more expensive than connecting flights. So when you add that to the fact that your connecting flight (starting from elsewhere) goes through the place from which you really want the non-stop.

Most people haven't got the time, energy or expertise to do side-trips like this to get a much better deal on a ticket, so they have to fork out the extra money for the shorter trip.

But look at it like this: If everyone did this, the demand for that cheap connecting flight from Taipei would go up ... and then so would its price! :D

global.....I know. I travel 100K+ miles a year. But reality does not always equal logic.

Back in the 80s, there was a time when BA was offering "special deals" on Concorde travel......which, with hotel in London thrown in, worked out cheaper than some walk-up fares. You can bet I took advantage of those!

Why do you think you'll go crazy? Lack of room? Lack of stuff to do?

I flew Cathay Pacific in coach to Hong Kong from LAX. It was pretty bad cuz it was cramped and I was bored. Flew back business class (involuntarily cuz they bumped me). The room made a huge difference.

However, I've done coach on Singapore airlines. I'm not sure if there's slightly more room or what, but it was much more tolerable on that airline. I suspect it's cuz each seat had it's own TV to keep me occupied and the food was better. Kept my mind off of how cramped I was for so long.

Archived