Embarkation & SailAway out of Baltimore

TheDivineMrsM

Please tell me about embarkation and Sail-Away out of Baltimore, Maryland. A charter bus (part of the travel package) will get us to the ship. We know to pack bathing suits in a carry on bag. Other than that, what should we know ahead of time? And how best to enjoy the Sail-Away? Someone said it takes 8 hours to cruise out of the Chesapeake Bay into the Atlantic. I just got a Maryland map to help understand the journey. Getting excited.

Please tell me about embarkation and Sail-Away out of Baltimore, Maryland. A charter bus (part of the travel package) will get us to the ship. We know to pack bathing suits in a carry on bag. Other than that, what should we know ahead of time? And how best to enjoy the Sail-Away? Someone said it takes 8 hours to cruise out of the Chesapeake Bay into the Atlantic. I just got a Maryland map to help understand the journey. Getting excited.

I can only speak for RCI / Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore, but the port is very easy and efficient for check in and boarding. If you arrive at the pier around 10:30 AM they start boarding by 11:00.

The run down the Chesapeake is about 8 hours and there are many great views along the way including sailing under two bridges and over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel at Norfolk around 11:30 or so at night just prior to entering the Atlantic. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel is interesting when you pass it at night as since you go over a tunnel section in the channel, the cars on either side as you pass appear with their headlights to be diving into the Bay. Very different!

Many people enjoy being on the pool deck or other upper deck as the ship leaves the dock but with the long timeframe until you reach open sea there are many good vantage points on board to watch from. If you are doing My Time Dining ask for a table near a window to sea the sights at dinner.

The departure and cruise down the Chesapeake is one of the more unique - and nicer - sailaways we've done. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Oh! What I find most interesting about your post is you mention the Chesapeake Bay tunnel at Norfolk. We live in Ohio but have vacationed at Virginia Beach several times and have gone through the tunnel. I think it's so cool now to realize this vacation we will be going over it!

In fact, hubby and I married in Williamsburg, Virginia (in the late 80s) and took a day trip to Virginia Beach on our honeymoon. When we realized we had to go through that tunnel, while seeing the vast ocean and ocean liners floating over top as we drove further down in, our legs turned to rubber. We had not seen much of the United States at that time, so it was quite an experience. lol

I'm going to check it out on my map of Maryland.

Baltimore is one of the EASIEST ports to embark on. Yes it takes all night to get to the Mouth of the bay. long Before that you pass by Ft McHenry and under the Francis Scott Key Bridge( don't panic.. there is more than half an inch clearance despite appearances.) best place to be is the pool deck or above, outside, watching the coast slip by. This year Ft McHenry is having major celebrations for the Birthday of the National Anthem so the Big Ensign( the largest Flag in their inventory) may be up. it is HUGE.

stay up all night to watch the Bay Bridge tunnel.. it might not be til 11 pm or so but it is SO cool to watch all the headlights disappear under the water....

which ship? Grandeur or Pride? on GR, you will board by 1030/11 am but the buffet won't be serving tip noon and the park Cafe not until 1. so take the time to waned around the ship to get your bearings.

Based on what both of you are saying, I will definitely stay up to see the ship sail over the Chesapeake Bay tunnel.

Oh, a whole half inch of clearance under the Francis Scott Key bridge, huh? Ha, ha, doesn't sound like much but I guess it's enough!

I was incorrect mentioning we'd traveled the Chesapeake Tunnel, it was actually the Hampton Road tunnel from Norfolk to Virginia Beach, but it's quite near the Chesapeake. And we did see some of that part of the Bay while driving around site seeing when vacationing there.

Thanks for all the tips!