Is Cagneys really good?

missdorado26

We like Cagney's but we like Moderno and LeBistro a bit better.

This is our experience.

I was fully prepared to merely suffer through Moderno but the salad bar was enough to overtake the idea of a restaurant designed for the Atkins Diet. We've never been disappointed at LeBistro nor Cagney's but the menu is better at LeBistro.

I think the reason the responses are so varied is because Cagney's is very spotty. Sometimes food great, sometimes awful. Sometimes service great, sometimes awful. For consistency--especially if you want steak, I think LeBistro is FAR better. I had the striped bass on my last cruise--in Cagney's, and it was GREAT--BUT--the dinner took 3 hours.

That has been our experience as well plus what LMB added.

All these posts just validate what everybody has been saying. Food is so subjective, and quite a touchy subject. DW and I felt that the specialties on Breakaway were above any other ship we have been on, by a substantial margin when it comes to taste. Holland America has become the master at making bland food have a fabulous presentation. On Breakaway, we felt the beautiful presentation didn't lead to a disappointing let down when we took a bite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree.....although the specialty restaurants on my Allure cruise were a close 2nd to the Epic and Breakaway.

Food is subjective, but to us, Cagney's is a really crappy steak house. Our dinner there on the Jewel a few years ago was one of the worst meals we've ever had, anywhere. Mediocre quality food, badly prepared.

Le Bistro, OTOH, is excellent.

Have a great cruise.

Funny how opinions vary. To us Le Bistro was not good while Cagney's was excellent.

I was on the Pearl in May and posted about that experience previously in another thread. I was called a 'food snob' in that thread, so I'll run the risk of that again here... ;)

I thought Cagney's was equivalent in food quality to Outback. It is by no means a Flemings, Ruth Chris, Morton's, etc. We ate at Cagney's twice during that cruise and while the ambiance was nice, the best item on the menu we tried were the hamburger slider appetizers. Service and interior may convince some that the food is the same as similarly designed restaurants. It's worth what we paid, but don't convince yourself into thinking that it's a $50 steak.

I just booked another NCL cruise for next year, and I have no intention of buying the UDP, though I may be convinced to dine a few times at the up charge restaurants. Now that I understand the quality of the food I'm going in with my expectations set based on my experiences, not by the over the top NCL fans here and elsewhere.

Update: for my next cruise the UDP is only $16 per night so I might end up just buying it, but at least I know what I'm buying this time...

Sent from my iPad

Edited by Okmyx