behind-the-scenes

met195

We did the behind the scenes tour in 2009 on the Spirit. It was actually well worth the money paid. Back then I think it was around $60 pp but that was 5 years ago. I think it is definitely an experience everyone should try once. I was fascinated by what they do with all of the trash on board. Very interesting!

Anyone know when this tour is offered on the Breakaway? Is there availability to book pre-cruise or is this something that must be done once on the ship?

Not sure about the day, check the dailies. Only can be booked on board. It sometimes fills up, so sign up early.

The thing I really appreciated about the behind-the-scenes tour was seeing how clean and well-ventilated everyplace was. I guess I had sweatshop conditions envisioned, and was happy to see what a great work environment it is for the crew. :)

Even if they had sweatshop environment, trust me, you will never see it. Cruiselines want to show you rainbows and butterflies. In a way, behind the scenes tours not only generate money, but also publicity. But there are tons of bad things going on. You get a tiny room with bunk beds for 2 people to share it. And bathroom/shower is shared by 2 cabins. Simple search of "cruise crew cabin" on YouTube will show you more.

Edited by Meanee

We are just off the Gem. We took the behind the scenes tour. $79 per person, tour is 2 hours long. Went to the excursion desk and asked about it. They handed us paperwork to fill out. Swiped our cards, and met at the desk the following morning at 9, and it was only us 4. It was very interesting. So glad we did it.

You need to wear closed toe shoes, so bring gym shoes or similar.

You get a tiny room with bunk beds for 2 people to share it. And bathroom/shower is shared by 2 cabins.

And this could be considered by those who are employed to be very good accomodations considering what they might have had in their own country. I stayed in Samoa in a wall-less house with 10 people and we shared an outhouse. I have been in hotel rooms in Europe where the bathroom was shared by 5 rooms. We are just very fortunate in the first world.

Just did this tour on the Spirit and it was well worth the $79 per person. We saw the galley, bakery (with free chocolate treats to taste), food storage (yes the freezers are cold), laundry (really cool & made me not miss doing it at home even more), trash and recycling station, backstage at the theater, and best of all the bridge. Loved seeing how they navigate the ship. And standing at the front of the bridge, staring at the ocean, like Kate Winslet. Also we each got a souvenir photo in a keepsake portfolio. Definitely recommend doing it if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DH did the Behind the Scenes tour on Carnival. Could not take pictures (they took everyone's cameras and cellphones before the tour began). I did this tour on HAL: We were allowed to take all the pictures we wanted.

Can you take pictures on the NCL tour?

I will be doing this on the Getaway in November. Should be great. I have one them on Carnival and Princess, and cant wait for this one.

As far as folks saying they live in horrible conditions, they live much better than just about any lower enlisted sailor in any nation. Paid better as well.