Norwegian Spirit Rooms 10506/10006 Beware!

PRNole47

Classified as BC "Balcony" class, these 2 cabins are S-M-A-L-L. Very small! If you're considering booking one of these, be aware that the photos and deck plans shown for these 2 cabins, though they are identical to the photos and deck plans shown for those in the BA class "Mid-Ship Balcony" rooms, these 2 rooms are are basically spare bedrooms for the suites that adjoin on either side of these rooms. First of all, the room contains only a queen size bed and small night stand. There is no vanity, desk, or extra chairs or seats. The closet is along the entry wall to the room and has at its end a rounded off set of shelves and 3 drawers. Small drawers. The TV sits at the top of the shelving section. That's it. The space around the bed is 6 inches from one wall, 18 inches from the foot of the bed to the far wall, and 2 feet from other side of the bed to the balcony sliders, where the small night stand sits. There are 2 deck chairs on the balcony and a small 10" x 10" table. There is only one power outlet in the room and it is of the Class F 220/240v European style that needs a converter if you use the North American standard 110/120v plugs. That outlet is located behing the TV ant the very top of the shelving area. The bathrrom contains the only 110/120v North American standard outlet at the top of the wall as you enter the bathroom. It is marked "for electric shaver use only" though, if you tend to abide by signs. If you order room service, you have to either sit on the floor to eat, on the bed, or use the toilet seat as the table. The 10" x 10" table on the balcony is just too small even to support a tray with all the dishes on it. There is no room in the cabin to use a rolling serving table. Very few people at the reservations/concierge desk seem to be aware of the cabin's limitations. Only housekeeping seems to be aware. Again, these 2 cabins serve as extra bedrooms for the adjoining suites on either side. Nothing more.

BTW, we did manage, after much complaining, to find and be moved to a BA class cabin that came with all that was missing in the above room, including outlets in the main cabin.

Classified as BC "Balcony" class, these 2 cabins are S-M-A-L-L. Very small! If you're considering booking one of these, be aware that the photos and deck plans shown for these 2 cabins, though they are identical to the photos and deck plans shown for those in the BA class "Mid-Ship Balcony" rooms, these 2 rooms are are basically spare bedrooms for the suites that adjoin on either side of these rooms. First of all, the room contains only a queen size bed and small night stand. There is no vanity, desk, or extra chairs or seats. The closet is along the entry wall to the room and has at its end a rounded off set of shelves and 3 drawers. Small drawers. The TV sits at the top of the shelving section. That's it. The space around the bed is 6 inches from one wall, 18 inches from the foot of the bed to the far wall, and 2 feet from other side of the bed to the balcony sliders, where the small night stand sits. There are 2 deck chairs on the balcony and a small 10" x 10" table. There is only one power outlet in the room and it is of the Class F 220/240v European style that needs a converter if you use the North American standard 110/120v plugs. That outlet is located behing the TV ant the very top of the shelving area. The bathrrom contains the only 110/120v North American standard outlet at the top of the wall as you enter the bathroom. It is marked "for electric shaver use only" though, if you tend to abide by signs. If you order room service, you have to either sit on the floor to eat, on the bed, or use the toilet seat as the table. The 10" x 10" table on the balcony is just too small even to support a tray with all the dishes on it. There is no room in the cabin to use a rolling serving table. Very few people at the reservations/concierge desk seem to be aware of the cabin's limitations. Only housekeeping seems to be aware. Again, these 2 cabins serve as extra bedrooms for the adjoining suites on either side. Nothing more.

BTW, we did manage, after much complaining, to find and be moved to a BA class cabin that came with all that was missing in the above room, including outlets in the main cabin.

Are all the BC cabins like this? we are considering booking one for our two kids connected to an SF suite for us. We would not choose cabins quite that far fwd, but same category.

While we were on this cruise last year, one of our fellow CCers had the same issues with 10006. Her communication with some staff led her to believe that these rooms were at one point a second bedroom to the suite next door. Hope you enjoyed this wonderful cruise in spite of the cabin

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Are all the BC cabins like this? we are considering booking one for our two kids connected to an SF suite for us. We would not choose cabins quite that far fwd, but same category.

Just those two. They were designed as an add-on for the suite next door.

Edited by JohnIreland

This has come up before and it is pathetic that NCL charges the cabin class prices for these rooms. I guess most passengers don't realize they got ripped or don't complain. However some do and I am sure guest services loves the argument and complaints over and over again.

This has been well known info for years.

Hope you enjoyed this wonderful cruise in spite of the cabin

I booked the cruise through NCL 800-number CSR desk. Ship sailed from Venice on Friday, the same day we arrived at the ship and found the cabin. We then called the desk to ask about it and see if there was a possibility of an upgrade. We were told "No upgrades available. The ship is full." Next day, Saturday, I went down to the desk and spoke to the shift supervisor, the one that has an office behind the wall at the concierge desk. Told her I wanted to see if they had another larger BC class cabin available, not necessarily meaning to imply an "upgrade" (and whatever that term conjured up in her mind). I was willing to pay whatever they asked. She told me "No rooms were available because the ship is full."

Well, by Sunday (2nd day at sea) we were already trying to accept and accomodate to the smallness of the room, doing our best to stay out of it until bedtime. While eating at Cagney's, our server inquired about our cruise so far and we made mention of the room problem. But we also told her about our problems getting to Venice from Munich due to the Air Traffic Controllers strike (all flights to Venice cancelled on that Friday), that we had to book a flight to an alternate city instead (we chose Verona) and then find ground transportation to Venice and the cruise terminal. We then took a train from Verona to Venice, only to find that there was a taxi strike in Venice on the Friday we arrived, how one of our suitcases broke while towing it across the 1 mile walk from the People Mover to where the ship was berthed, etc.

Well, this sweet angel from NCL heaven who was serving us then came back with a senior staff member and asked that we repeat our story to her, especially about the room size. We did so, ate dinner, and left. That same evening I received a phone call from the Hotel Services Director who told me he had been informed by a staff member of our problems and that he had another "much larger" cabin mid-ship, just down the hall from ours, if we were willing to take it. I told him I would consider it but wanted to see it first and he sent a bell hop to open it up for us to see. Well! It was the BC cabin size and configuration that was shown on the web site and the same one I was told on the phone by the 800-numnber CSR through wityh whom I booked the cabin! Without batting an eye, I said Yes, we'll take it!" and we were moved into it within the hour. Move done entirely by housekeeping and stewards.

So, the cruise went well, especially after we were moved to a "regular" BC cabin just down the hall (10598). What I wondered later was: Was this cabin really available all along despite my being told twice that the ship was full, or was there a passenger in that cabin who got an upgrade after we sailed even though I was told no upgrades were available?

Well, either way, we loved the rest of the trip! Cruise compared favorably with the Baltic one we took a few years back. After returning home I sent letters of commendation on behalf of the personnel that helped us out of that cabin, including our server at Cagney's.

And the fact that this info about the smallness of the room is "old news" is irrelevant to me.

• 3 months later...

After I got my room assignment, I went online to check it out. Unfortunately, I got assigned to this room. I have my travel agent to call and not to my surprise, nothing could be done. My travel agent told me that the room is about 20-25 sq ft smaller than other stateroom, so I decided to call NCL myself and request a room change. The response that I got is 'you book a GTY room and we assign you an upgrade, from BX to BC. I complained that after researching online, that the room does not have a sofa nor a vanity desk. It is pretty much you walk in and there is the bed. I booked a 12 days grand Mediterranean cruise and do not want to get stuck in a small room. The NCL agent assure me that there is a sofa and a desk and I asked if she is sure, but of course she gave me the standard response, the description on NCL website is approximate. I then demanded that to be put back to the BX class, but she told me the BX class is full. Any suggestion of what I could do! This is my first NCL cruise and likely the last as their GTY room guarantees you the worst room.

Any suggestion of what I could do! This is my first NCL cruise and likely the last as their GTY room guarantees you the worst room.

First of all, when you have booked through a TA, all communications with NCL must go through them - you are wasting your time calling them directly, that is what the TA is paid to do.

Secondly, unfortunately since you booked GTY, everything has gone according to the protocol (you even got upgraded) and your only way out from that cabin is to pay for an upgrade to a higher cabin category (and probably choose a cabin yourself).

When booking GTY, one always needs to be ready to accept the cabin they are assigned to, even if that is the least desirable cabin - as it's most likely that it hasn't sold to customers paying more and choosing their own cabin.

After I got my room assignment, I went online to check it out. Unfortunately, I got assigned to this room. I have my travel agent to call and not to my surprise, nothing could be done. My travel agent told me that the room is about 20-25 sq ft smaller than other stateroom, so I decided to call NCL myself and request a room change. The response that I got is 'you book a GTY room and we assign you an upgrade, from BX to BC. I complained that after researching online, that the room does not have a sofa nor a vanity desk. It is pretty much you walk in and there is the bed. I booked a 12 days grand Mediterranean cruise and do not want to get stuck in a small room. The NCL agent assure me that there is a sofa and a desk and I asked if she is sure, but of course she gave me the standard response, the description on NCL website is approximate. I then demanded that to be put back to the BX class, but she told me the BX class is full. Any suggestion of what I could do! This is my first NCL cruise and likely the last as their GTY room guarantees you the worst room.

You may want to encourage your TA to continue to press NCL for a different room. The other solution is to request an deliberate downgrade to an oceanview that may have a larger floor plan.

I have seen this room, and it is very small. It was originally to be nanny's quarters for Suites 10002 and 10008.

I am sorry you have been assigned this room. The good news is that this is a very port intensive cruise with only two sea days! :)