Cat D cabins on AQ - size difference

The 2015 brochure for the American Queen states the cabins for Category D range in size from 140-210 sq ft.

The larger rooms appear to be Cabins 301, 303, 302, 304 & 306. They are right next to the Front Porch Cafe.

Has anyone seen or had these larger rooms and would they be the ones to choose (if possible) since they are larger?

Thank you.

I don't know about the size difference, but on our first trip we were in 315. It was small, but adequate, and we liked it a lot. (We have also been in 525 thanks to an upgrade and 417 thanks to a 2-for-1. We preferred 417. Both were larger than the D and had a "real" closet as opposed to an armoire.) Anyway, I would not recommend 301 or 305 (I don't see a 303) because there is a service elevator right there and they are very close to the front porch. Not sure about the ones on the port side.

I don't know about the size difference, but on our first trip we were in 315. It was small, but adequate, and we liked it a lot. (We have also been in 525 thanks to an upgrade and 417 thanks to a 2-for-1. We preferred 417. Both were larger than the D and had a "real" closet as opposed to an armoire.) Anyway, I would not recommend 301 or 305 (I don't see a 303) because there is a service elevator right there and they are very close to the front porch. Not sure about the ones on the port side.

We are booked in 525 for our Aug15-23, St Louis-Minneapolis/St Paul cruise. Did you have an issues with noise from the engines at night? Have read that this can be an issue in some cabins.

No issues with engine noise other than a gentle hum which lulled us to sleep! You will like the cabin. It has a full dresser, plus a dressing table area with an extra drawer that is right outside the bathroom. Very handy for "stuff". It had only one chair and an ottoman, which is one reason we liked 417 better - same size cabin (narrower but longer, we think), but two chairs. We also liked being on deck 4; one less flight of stairs to climb!

One thing to consider with bed configuration: we would prefer a queen, but the way they have the wall lights on the bed wall means that unless set up as twin beds, one person cannot sit up in bed without clunking their head on the light fixture! We learned this on our first trip and it has been the case in all 3 cabins we have occupied.

No issues with engine noise other than a gentle hum which lulled us to sleep! You will like the cabin. It has a full dresser, plus a dressing table area with an extra drawer that is right outside the bathroom. Very handy for "stuff". It had only one chair and an ottoman, which is one reason we liked 417 better - same size cabin (narrower but longer, we think), but two chairs. We also liked being on deck 4; one less flight of stairs to climb!

One thing to consider with bed configuration: we would prefer a queen, but the way they have the wall lights on the bed wall means that unless set up as twin beds, one person cannot sit up in bed without clunking their head on the light fixture! We learned this on our first trip and it has been the case in all 3 cabins we have occupied.

Thanks for the info. Just hoping the Queen's paddle wheel and Z-drives have been repaired and are in working condition for our trip up the Mississippi!

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the DELTA QUEEN many years ago on the upper Miss during August. I don't remember the mosquitos being a problem during the voyage. A few years ago I was on the TWILIGHT http://www.riverboattwilight.com during August and I don't remember there being a problem either. Nevertheless you might want to bring a can of bug spray, just in case. And for God's sake, if the mayflies are out, don't open your stateroom door with the room lights still on!

I was on the DELTA QUEEN many years ago on the upper Miss during August. I don't remember the mosquitos being a problem during the voyage. A few years ago I was on the TWILIGHT http://www.riverboattwilight.com during August and I don't remember there being a problem either. Nevertheless you might want to bring a can of bug spray, just in case. And for God's sake, if the mayflies are out, don't open your stateroom door with the room lights still on!

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the cruise!