A Quick Overview of the French

Hlitner

Just wanted to share a few thoughts after having had some time to reflect on our recent trip where we spend a month driving around France (after a TA cruise). DW and I are quite familiar with France, can read a lot of French (including menus) but are not fluent in any language other then English (our British friends my question this latter comment).

We covered a lot of Eastern France on this trip plus spent a week in a Paris apartment and a week in an Avignon apartment. Throughout the entire month we did not have a single incident of rudeness (on the part of the French or moi) and everyone we met was very friendly and helpful. Even in Paris, where we have previously encountered our share of rudeness and an anti-American attitude) everyone we met was wonderful. Restaurant/café staff (and some owners) were quick to offer us help with menu items, try to practice their English (as we tried our lousy French) and we never had a bad meal (although we did have 1 lousy house wine). We have always enjoyed traveling (and driving) in France and this recent trip reinforced that feeling.

The one troubling thing we saw (everywhere we went) was the shocking increase in smoking among the younger French ladies (and many men). It seems to be the current "fad" to smoke and the do it despite some tough anti-smoking rules. In restaurants (no smoking indoors) entire tables leave between each course to have a quick smoke outside. Outside seating is usually full of young smokers which drives many gourmands inside where they can taste their food and wine without having smoke blowing in their face.

So one warning for those that cannot stand cigarette smoke is that you should consider passing up an outside table to move inside in most cafes/restaurants. When we sat outside (which we love to do in many places) we tried to choose an upwind location (not always possible).

Another issue (we have previously posted this info) had to do with using credit cards on the toll roads. On the roads south of Paris, there is a good chance that a US or Canadian issued Chip/PIN card will not be accepted. Those cards are fine on the roads north of Paris (this has to do with the two different companies controlling the toll booths). So always have enough cash to cover tolls and beware of getting in Credit Card Only...lanes.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank ~ thanks SO much for your comments! Sad to hear about the smoking - but unfortunately understandable - thought is education will deter bad habits, i.e. smoking, but doesn't always happen!

We'll be spending a week in Paris in late September, first time in an apartment!, and hoping for the "real" French experience of sipping wine in outdoor cafes - hope the smoking doesn't prevent this!!!

Glad you had a great trip - can't believe its over already!!!

I think the conception about the French being rude and unhelpful is a bit unfair on the French. We travel to France frequently, but often just for the weekend. Therefore, I agree with your comments. Paris, like any large city is also full of people who are not originally from that place and tend to lead very busy lives and can't be bothered being nice. It happens in London all the time.

I can't say I've noticed a lot of young people smoking in France, but did comment about it to my OH when we were recently in Greece. We were having lunch in a nice restaurant and there were two Greek men smoking. Myself and OH are both ex smokers and smoke really doesn't bother us, but it is an EU ruling that you can't smoke in public places. If that were to happen in the UK you would soon be told not to do it.

I am currently following the Tour de France daily on TV as I love watching the beautiful countryside that they cycle through. Gives me ideas as where to go. I think maybe a short trip to Champagne region is on the cards.

I am currently following the Tour de France daily on TV as I love watching the beautiful countryside that they cycle through. Gives me ideas as where to go. I think maybe a short trip to Champagne region is on the cards.

LOl! We do the same thing....I believe next Sunday they'll end in Nimes, going by St. Remy. Alas, my fantasy team is a washout after Froome had to abandon.

buggins

I imagine you saw that Antonio Contador had to leave today too? My OH and self spent a lovely holiday in St Remy 2 years ago. We took the Eurostar from London to Avignon and rented a car. We only live 10 minutes by taxi to the station in London. The journey took us about 8 hours door to door, which is quicker than the plane.

They only operate the direct service to the south of France in the summer.

I'm glad you had a pleasant trip here !

Do you have any idea when you might come back again?

( I would like to honor my proposition ! & don't worry, i never tried smoking :D )

We would be back tomorrow if it were possible :). But our travel schedule is totally full until next March (2015) after which we are considering some options. I should tell you that one must be careful with offering us "propostions." On this last trip we stopped in Guernsey and actually contacted a couple we had met 14 years ago in Asia. They gave up their day to show us around the lovely island. On the same trip we also spent a day with a frequent CC poster (John Bull) which turned out to be a lot fun.

Hank

buggins

I imagine you saw that Antonio Contador had to leave today too? My OH and self spent a lovely holiday in St Remy 2 years ago. We took the Eurostar from London to Avignon and rented a car. We only live 10 minutes by taxi to the station in London. The journey took us about 8 hours door to door, which is quicker than the plane.

Our next France plan is to do a "Hank" the fall after we retire (2016). A TA where we can spend some time in Normandy and Brittany before the cruise. The race frequently goes to Carcasonne...so that's on the hit list for yet another Future TA.

Watching a recording of the race as I type this. Yucky weather. This stage is definitely more race viewing then "France" viewing.

We have found that our experiences with the French people have changed considerably for the better over the years. When in our 20's, people, particularly in Paris, seemed to resent our lack of French. Now in our "more mature" years, we have found much greater willingness to accept our linguistic shortfalls. And, of course, in Normandy the Americans always have been welcomed warmly.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts after having had some time to reflect on our recent trip where we spend a month driving around France (after a TA cruise). DW and I are quite familiar with France, can read a lot of French (including menus) but are not fluent in any language other then English (our British friends my question this latter comment).Hank

Had to smile at this! :D We always tell our Brit friends we're going to help them learn how to speak English properly with a Southern Drawl. So LOVE our Brit friends.

Agree in France. We don't have a problem there either. Being polite and being able to say in French that you are sorry you don't speak French so will need their help seems to make a difference.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Having lived 11 years in New York City, Parasians always remind me of New Yorkers--they aren't so much rude as impatient and streed out with no patience for fools. Also, some of the differences are cultural. If you enter a shop or other place of business without a "bonjeur madame" or the equivalent, they will think you are rude. A smile, a few polite words and a quiet attitude go a long way.

CintiPam

It's not just Americans that are made welcome in Normandy, the British and Canadians are too.

Good to know, and well deserved. :)

My father, a reconnaissance sergeant for a tank destroyer unit, landed at Utah Beach a couple of weeks after D-Day, and my childhood friend's father was the Ranger who actually discovered and spiked the guns at Pont c'Hoc on D-day (and thus his family is an entire chapter in Tom Brokaw's book) so our land trip to this area was very meaningful to me. One day, we traced my father's battle journey through Normandy.

Edited by CintiPam

CintiPam

Tracing your father's journey must have been very moving. I am proud of my father too as he didn't have to join up, being Irish, but decided to join the RAF as a nurse. He wasn't involved on D Day, but had been on the beaches of Dunquerque and Belgium and served in India and Singapore. My partner's father didn't have to go to war as he was an engineer.

We travel to France about 4 or 5 times a year, but generally further north than Normandy as we just go for the weekend. We often are in the Somme area and where WWI was fought. I find all the war graves around there even more harrowing as they were so young, many just 16 or 17.

Re difference in shopping customs between the USA and France -

In the US it is perfectly acceptable to browse merchandise, and that includes touching and picking up items for better viewing. In France (and other European countries) it is considered very bad form to touch merchandise unless you have decided to purchase it. The shopkeeper expects to show you the merchandise and will consider you to be a rude customer if you "paw through" items. Instead, ask for assistance and enjoy the interaction with the shopkeeper. Try shopping like a local! It makes for a better tourist experience in France.

CintiPam

Tracing your father's journey must have been very moving. I am proud of my father too as he didn't have to join up, being Irish, but decided to join the RAF as a nurse. He wasn't involved on D Day, but had been on the beaches of Dunquerque and Belgium and served in India and Singapore. My partner's father didn't have to go to war as he was an engineer.

We travel to France about 4 or 5 times a year, but generally further north than Normandy as we just go for the weekend. We often are in the Somme area and where WWI was fought. I find all the war graves around there even more harrowing as they were so young, many just 16 or 17.

Thanks for his service. When visiting Bruges a few years ago, we did a one-day WWI Flanders Field tour, and it indeed was very moving.

In France (and other European countries) it is considered very bad form to touch merchandise unless you have decided to purchase it.

That is correct for food items in a market. The vendor will pick the best fruit for you from the carefully arranged display.

Supermarkets are an entirely different story. Paw away!

That is correct for food items in a market. The vendor will pick the best fruit for you from the carefully arranged display.

Supermarkets are an entirely different story. Paw away!

True about the supermarkets! I loved shopping in the French and Italian supermarkets - many items we never see at our local supermarkets.

My post re the shopping ended up being too much a generalization. I was recalling shopping experiences in small high end shops with a friend who was a not very polite tourist shopper.

buggins

Londontowner, did you catch the stage today? I just love that road from St. Remy into the Valcluse with the plane trees. Too bad, it had to start raining, the helicopter would have done the usual fly over of Les Baux.

Someday, we'll get there in July to watch the French enjoying their annual event.

Great thread! We have just got back from a few days break in Brittany and we have had several other land based holidays in France (including Normandy) and I have to say we never have problems with rudeness. We love the food and many restaurants had the English underneath (we did try and ask for the French name!) We found a "bonjour" and "merci" went a long way :)

buggins

Yes, I did watch the Tour, especially as we have stayed in St Remy a couple of years ago. We took the Eurostar train from London direct to Avignon. We have driven all around those roads. We had been there at the beginning of September and had also experienced torrential rain and hail storms. It is beautiful countryside all around there. I loved Arles as I thought it had a warm, Mediterranean atmosphere.

PandOSue

We have found everybody in Normandy very welcoming. We love the countryside too. It is so pretty all around there.