The Taste Bar

There used to be a sushi bar on certain ships. A small "kiosk" that was open certain nights. They now use that same kiosk and serve small appetizers with different themes (based on their specialty restaurants), again on certain evenings.

The items from the Taste Bar were really good. I had the meatballs with marinara sauce and ricotta on crustini one night. The other night there was pulled pork and a spicy soup.

I usually go to the Taste Bar early in the evening so I don't spoil my appetite for my late "Your Time Dining" seating in the MDR.

Enjoy the Taste Bar!

The items from the Taste Bar were really good. I had the meatballs with marinara sauce and ricotta on crustini one night. The other night there was pulled pork and a spicy soup.

I usually go to the Taste Bar early in the evening so I don't spoil my appetite for my late "Your Time Dining" seating in the MDR.

Enjoy the Taste Bar!

There is a soup that I wish was on the menu but dont remember what it was called

It was not crowded at all on the Dream. Maybe because it was on deck 5 and nobody knew it was there. Some things were better than others and I was confused why they had tastes of restaurants not actually on the ship?

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Nov '11 Carnival Fascination

Sept '12 Royal Monarch of the Seas

Nov '12 Royal Freedom of the Seas

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Aug '14 Caribbean Princess

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

May '15 Carnival Sunshine

It was not crowded at all on the Dream. Maybe because it was on deck 5 and nobody knew it was there. Some things were better than others and I was confused why they had tastes of restaurants not actually on the ship?

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Nov '11 Carnival Fascination

Sept '12 Royal Monarch of the Seas

Nov '12 Royal Freedom of the Seas

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Aug '14 Caribbean Princess

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

May '15 Carnival Sunshine

To get you to book on a ship that has them?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Can someone explain The Taste Bar to me? It looks like a place to go to sample food, says it's on all the ships. What is it exactly?

Thanks in Advance!

The Taste Bar

Ships: ALL

The Taste Bar, located on the Promenade Deck is open nightly on sea days and some port days, offering complimentary bite-sized appetizers featuring Fun Ship 2.0 venues. Cocktails are available for $5.00.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/EatingPleasure.htm

The taste bar is only a "sales" tool. Giver out "free" samples to get you to buy.

Think of it like this. Carnival is considered the WalMart of the seas, so let's put in a tasting station, just like in the food stores, to get you to buy a product. It's kind of Cheesy on a cruise ship.

The taste bar is only a "sales" tool. Giver out "free" samples to get you to buy.

Think of it like this. Carnival is considered the WalMart of the seas, so let's put in a tasting station, just like in the food stores, to get you to buy a product. It's kind of Cheesy on a cruise ship.

I guess that would be your opinion!

It seems similar to the passed appetizers on HAL or the sushi cart on many ships - just with a variety. In this way they can simulate tapas or a bar menu found at restaurant bars all around town but without adding staff. Economics rule, and at the rates they are charging for these cruises there have to be controls on costs.

They do it in a nice and classy way so dont have a problem with it at all.

Meatballs are excellent and hope to be on a ship one day where we can get more.

Yes they were pretty good the taste bar relaxed the shushi

And today we are looking foward to eating meatballs on another ship

Kinda sad. The chopmeat of the seas

I don't believe the Taste Bar is a sales attic either. Most of the items can be ordered in the MDR, and although it did have an item that the Chef said was offered in one of the specialty restaurants (I don't remember which). I don't think that based on the sampling of a few items, it would make someone choose these venues. It did not offer a sampling of steak, or lobster or another main entree thats offered in the steakhouse in order to get a tease to try that venue. I do remember the meatballs, but they didn't make an impression like the roasted/bbq pork sampling, or small bowl of chicken and tortilla soup.

Just so I'm clear.. the Taste Bar offers food from restaurants found on ALL carnival ships, not just the ship you're on? So on my upcoming Liberty cruise, I'll be able to taste something from Cucina del Capitano or Blue Iguana Cantina, even though none of those restaurants are on board?

That's nice, if true. Just seems odd to me since they're now having to cook dishes that the ship isn't even set up to serve, other than sparsely through the Taste Bar when it's open. Then again maybe a recipe is a recipe and they already have all the food items on board. Or maybe it's a way to cross train employees coming to/from the ships that have those venues. Maybe I'm overthinking it, now I just want something tasty. :)

They do it in a nice and classy way so dont have a problem with it at all.

Nice, maybe, but classy? It's a push cart, with food placed on it as a marketing tool. Just because the food taste good, does not change the fact that it is sales pitch on wheels.

Just so I'm clear.. the Taste Bar offers food from restaurants found on ALL carnival ships, not just the ship you're on? So on my upcoming Liberty cruise, I'll be able to taste something from Cucina del Capitano or Blue Iguana Cantina, even though none of those restaurants are on board?

That's nice, if true. Just seems odd to me since they're now having to cook dishes that the ship isn't even set up to serve, other than sparsely through the Taste Bar when it's open. Then again maybe a recipe is a recipe and they already have all the food items on board. Or maybe it's a way to cross train employees coming to/from the ships that have those venues. Maybe I'm overthinking it, now I just want something tasty. :)

Yes, that is true.

I thought it was odd too. The tastes were very good though.