Florence first timers

OnthegoRI

My wife and I will be visiting Florence in October for the first time on an Oceania cruise. We would like to see as many highlights of Florence as possible but realize there is too much to see in one six-hour block.

Oceania offers several excursions -- one includes a guided tour through the Academy of Fine Arts and several cathedrals plus free time; another includes a tour through the Uffizi gallery plus free time in Florence; one (expensive!) excursion includes guided tours of both the Accademia and Uffizi; and there is an excursion that lets you explore Florence on your own.

Should we try to jam in the Accademia and Uffizi in one day? Does Florence require a guided tour or is it simple to explore on one's own? If we have to zero in one one or two "must sees" what should we focus on?

My wife and I will be visiting Florence in October for the first time on an Oceania cruise. We would like to see as many highlights of Florence as possible but realize there is too much to see in one six-hour block.

Oceania offers several excursions -- one includes a guided tour through the Academy of Fine Arts and several cathedrals plus free time; another includes a tour through the Uffizi gallery plus free time in Florence; one (expensive!) excursion includes guided tours of both the Accademia and Uffizi; and there is an excursion that lets you explore Florence on your own.

Should we try to jam in the Accademia and Uffizi in one day? Does Florence require a guided tour or is it simple to explore on one's own? If we have to zero in one one or two "must sees" what should we focus on?

If you are going to do an Oceania tour I would pick the 2nd one on your list...don't try and do it all in 6 hours than do some reading re Florence and get out on your own as you can see from the material you read what there is to see,do some shopping,have a little wine/coffee break and just enjoy the city.I don't think one needs a guide per se,but other's may.If you want to see David and a few other things than 2 if not and you feel comfortable go for on your own.You can always go back!!

If your an art lover you can do Accademia and Uffizi in one day. We did it on our first visit. We were on our own, not with a ship excursion and we had more time, I think 8 hours in Florence.

I have been to Florence twice. Both times I spent at least two days there.

Accademia is where Michelangelo's David is located. The Uffizi has some notable works of art, like Botachelli's Venus by the Sea, but David is something that is a MUST SEE.

I love art museums, but going to both museums in one day is overload to me. You need to see the Doumo and Bapestry as well as the Pont de Veccio.

I would go with the first tour.

We just got back from a Med cruise and did Florence on our own. We found it a very easy city to navigate and we were able to take in the sights at our own pace. If you get ahold of a Rick Steves book there are some good options for self guided tours in Florence. Enjoy!

Florence is a compact city and easy to walkaround. Personally, we hardly ever do ship excursion's. In 6 hours you could certainly see Michelangelo's David and a couple of the most important paintings in the Uffizi. Florence is a lovely city to just have a wander around. It also has good shopping.

Personally, I would do the own your own option. Prebook tickets to the Accademia to see the David and then I would spend the rest of the short day visiting the Duomo, the baptistry, the Ponte Vecchio and having a nice lunch of Florentine steak.

Way too much 'museuming' to include the Uffizi in my opinion, plus you wouldn't have any time for anything else!

I did a land tour of Italy a number of years ago and stayed 2-3 days in Florence. I would have gladly stayed a week! DH and I are doing a cruise in November and are doing a private shore excursion to Florence since DH has never been.

I don't think you can go very wrong with whatever you decide. Florence is an awesome city! And yes 6 hours would barely scratch the surface. So as a first timer I would want to maximize my time, sights and therefore chose a tour. That said if I were you I would close:

Oceania offers several excursions -- one includes a guided tour through the Academy of Fine Arts and several cathedrals plus free time.

Whatever you decide - have a great time ! :)