20% VAT on Liberty out of Barcelona???

The actual rate on purchases will be 21% as Spain has increased the latest rate. However, this should only apply to merchandise purchased from the stores on board or services such as the spa (goods you purchase ashore will already include the tax relevant to the country where you are making your purchase).

Spain has a reduced rate of 10% which is what I understand is added to beverages and speciality restaurant charges. although those who have sailed more recently can confirm this rate.

Therefore, I believe beverages will be itemised to show 15% gratuity and 10% tax (the 10% will be charged on the original price, not the price plus the 15% gratuity). Therefore, a beverage listed as $10 will cost $12.50.

You can claim back the VAT on purchases of merchandise (NOT beverages, food and spa services) which you are taking with you when you leave the EU. So you can't claim all VAT back, only on goods you've purchased to take away with you.

You will receive a letter once on board explaining the process.

This is an example of an old letter when Spain VAT was 16% and the lower rate was 7%.

4642241455_632fcd8631_b.jpg

BTW Croatia have joined the list of EU countries mentioned above.

Edited by peteukmcr

I saw on another CC thread that NCL charges 20% VAT over anything you purchase on board, including drinks, on its West Med cruises out of Barcelona. Does RCL charge VAT as well?:eek:

Yes, 21% and 15% on beverages. We booked whatever we could on-line (beverage and specialty restaurant packages, etc.), therefore, avoiding this excessive tax. If a port is a non-EU no tax will be levied other than when you are in Barcelona. Trying to collect the tax at the airport is a waste of time as sometimes the lines are long and I believe there's a minimum VAT amount.

This is true. When it comes to getting the VAT tax back, it needs to be on items not consumed. So anytype of food and/or drink that has the VAT is not given back. However, my husband purchased a watch (which is not consumable, obviously) and we were given a huge run around with the VAT tax and were told we could not get it back. Royal really dropped the ball on this as they couldn't give us the approprite papers and procedures. When I called the people who run their shops I got nowhere either. Lesson learned, we will only buy things that are things we cannot find in the US. You still will have a great time! No worries!

Yes, 21% and 15% on beverages. We booked whatever we could on-line (beverage and specialty restaurant packages, etc.), therefore, avoiding this excessive tax. If a port is a non-EU no tax will be levied other than when you are in Barcelona. Trying to collect the tax at the airport is a waste of time as sometimes the lines are long and I believe there's a minimum VAT amount.

Buying a package on-line does not give you relieve from VAT either. I tried the wine package price and when payment came up, it included both gratuity and VAT.:eek:

Buying a package on-line does not give you relieve from VAT either. I tried the wine package price and when payment came up, it included both gratuity and VAT.:eek:

No tax when I booked/reserved on RCL's web site for our past August Serenade 12 nite cruise and all ports were Euro zone.

No tax when I booked/reserved on RCL's web site for our past August Serenade 12 nite cruise and all ports were Euro zone.

Same here when we booked on Serenade in May. We pre-booked wine package and an excursion specifically to avoid the tax and did so.

We are cruising out of Barcelona early next May and will be D-Plus members.

We are not big drinkers, so being able to get drinks at no charge each night in the Diamond and/or Concierge Lounge should, I assume save us this tax amount as I'm assuming it doesn't apply if the drinks are FREE???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are cruising out of Barcelona early next May and will be D-Plus members.

We are not big drinkers, so being able to get drinks at no charge each night in the Diamond and/or Concierge Lounge should, I assume save us this tax amount as I'm assuming it doesn't apply if the drinks are FREE???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Correct, as they are free.