Just back from the Pearl

This was the first cruise I have taken. I thought it would be a great idea to take my family on a vacation. We all wanted to see Alaska so finding a cruise was the answer.

Booking the cruise couldn't have been easier. However, when we went to 8 cabins we became a group. The NCL assigned someone who wrote one email and was never heard from again. No one else provided any information until I contacted group administration and Wanda provided assistance. However, she ws limited in what she could do so booking reservations was difficult.

We did manage though and everyone enjoyed the trip. It is wonderful to have a family that gets along like they do!

As to the Pearl, it has the best staff ever! These people are unfailingly pleasant and helpful. I needed a cane to walk and every time I did the buffet I had offers of assistance. they carried my plate, fetched coffee and sweet rolls, made conversation and smiled!

Eugene was our room steward, and while our only request was for a second robe, he greeted us every day and made great towel creations for our amusement. Manta ray, mouse, monkey, bunny and turtle sat on our couch for the trip.

The balcony cabin is small. I found it very crowded. Yes, you can store things on shelves and in the closet and hide your bag under the bed, but the space between the twin beds was impossibly narrow. My bed was against the wall and I am a restless sleeper so I kept bumping my head or knocking over the telephone on the table between the beds.

I loved the balcony though and would never consider booking an inside cabin.

We decided that everyone was free to do what they wanted and only had two group activities. One was a dinner in Cagney's to celebrate son Pau;l's fiftieth birthday. it was wonderful. They set us up in the private room. The food and drink were wonderful. We ordered a special cake in celebration. Great night.

We went on different excursions. The kids (11,12 and 14), 2 adult grandchildren, five kids, two spouses and one non-family friend are hard to please, but we did it. Two spectacular excursions, Tracy Arm Fjiord and the helicopter glacier tour in Skagway were standouts.

More later,

Edited by ERed hot nana
added a sentence at the end indicating more to come