NCL Tipping Question

JBlock54

I've never cruised with NCL and am a little confused with the freestyle part. I know with royal caribbean you can prepay tips that go to waiter, head waiter, ect. Since you don't have a set waiter how does the tipping work? Can you still prepay/how does tipping work with NCL? I'm going to be booking Getaway for November, thanks!

I've never cruised with NCL and am a little confused with the freestyle part. I know with royal caribbean you can prepay tips that go to waiter, head waiter, ect. Since you don't have a set waiter how does the tipping work? Can you still prepay/how does tipping work with NCL? I'm going to be booking Getaway for November, thanks!

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Pretty much same. You get set amount per person per day. You can pre-pay tips on NCL website, or just have them charged to your folio. How they are distributed, no idea. For me and my significant other, we paid $160 or something like that for 7 days on Epic. There were no 3 envelopes, like you would have on RCCL. Just a charge added to your folio.

Royal Caribbean pretty much requires you to pre-pay your tips if you are doing anytime dining, and you get "tip coupon" in your room on the last night. At least that's how it was few years back when I sailed Oasis and Allure.

To tip someone you simply give them cash.

The Daily Service Charge is added to your onboard account and it will take care of paying waiters, stewards and others in the pool that gets paid via the Service Charge ( which is not a tip).

Pre-paying the Service Charge is an option. Paying on-board expenses early has always seemed silly to us but many do it. We figure we might as well pay it after the trip when the credit card bill arrives so that we can use deflated dollars.

$12 per day per person. Billed to your on board account every morning. That covers tips for everyone on board except the concierge, your butler and kids club staff. Very few people use those people so the Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) does not cover those positions.

$12 per day per person. Billed to your on board account every morning. That covers tips for everyone on board except the concierge, your butler and kids club staff. Very few people use those people so the Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) does not cover those positions.

Wow. Not a single word I disagree with.

A few I'd add: bar purchases, and spa purchases are subject to an auto-included gratuity as well.

I saw a gentlemen on my last cruise take the whole service charge off .he was adamant about leaving his own tips to the individuals who gave him outstanding service ..... I don't know how he tipped people who did service behind the scenes....... Just a thought....

Here is how it works. They charge you 12 a day you eat at any free food place you want and your steward cleans you room daily. You let them charge your sign and sail and forget about it. Done

Now if you go to an up charge restaurant you pay that fee BUT you are not required to tip extra HOwever they will be nice to you to the point where you feel guilt if you don't throw them an extra 10 at those venues

There is even a line for a tip when you sign for the up charge

You can give the steward an Extra

20 if you want but I have found on my last 3 cruises that they seem surprised to get it. Not giving it next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How about this? We all decide how we individually want to handle tipping, DFS, and otherwise recognizing the level of service we get form NCL and let everyone else do the same. In the end how, when, to whom, and how much I tip is my decision and it should not concern anyone else. If I happen to tip more or a higher percent it does not make me better than anyone else, likewise if I choose to tip less or at a lower percent it does not make me worse. We should all just tip what we feel is right and be done with it then go on enjoying our vacations. Seems pretty simple to me. It is not like we are going to change another person's concept of tipping by posting here on CC.

How about this? We all decide how we individually want to handle tipping, DFS, and otherwise recognizing the level of service we get form NCL and let everyone else do the same. In the end how, when, to whom, and how much I tip is my decision and it should not concern anyone else. If I happen to tip more or a higher percent it does not make me better than anyone else, likewise if I choose to tip less or at a lower percent it does not make me worse. We should all just tip what we feel is right and be done with it then go on enjoying our vacations. Seems pretty simple to me. It is not like we are going to change another person's concept of tipping by posting here on CC.

Well said

Sure, but if someone comes on here and says that they are going to remove the service charge because of some mis-interpretation of how things work we will correct them. It may not impact how that person does it but may prevent someone else from making the same error.

Sure, but if someone comes on here and says that they are going to remove the service charge because of some mis-interpretation of how things work we will correct them. It may not impact how that person does it but may prevent someone else from making the same error.

You are absolutely free to believe that if you so choose. I don't think it is going to mean squat to anyone else. It especially is not going to do any good to get into a fight/debate/argument on CC over the matter with the person who chooses to interpret things differently than you do. Anyway enjoy your cruises and I hope you have a the best vacation ever!

Well said

The problem is that it DOES concern the rest of us.

How?

Simple. The DSC is 99% of the income for the crew. If people decide to remove it, then the crew find themselves underpaid, and the top tier employees go to look for work elsewhere - having the confidence that they have market value and are employable elsewhere.

This creates churn, and leaves in place those who don't believe they'd get another job elsewhere (and may be right). In any case it creates a constant influx of inexperienced people, which can immediately degrade the service experience.

Solution? Everybody encourage everybody else to keep the DSC in place. That way the crew make the income they were anticipating, and stay in their roles, gaining experience and continuing to provide the exceptional on-board experience which has earned NCL enough fans to justify building more & more ships.

Stephen

That's all fine as long as you pay the DSC, which is not a tip.

Everyone is ecstatic when you leave a tip-which is what you give them after paying the DSC ( which is not a tip ).

Not paying the DSC certainly does concern the non-pikers who pay their bills. When the crew doesn't get paid by some of the passengers it clearly can affect and effect the experience for the passengers who understand the system and pay their bills.

You are absolutely free to believe that if you so choose. I don't think it is going to mean squat to anyone else. It especially is not going to do any good to get into a fight/debate/argument on CC over the matter with the person who chooses to interpret things differently than you do. Anyway enjoy your cruises and I hope you have a the best vacation ever!

It really isn't a matter of interpretation.

Simple. The DSC is 99% of the income for the crew. If people decide to remove it, then the crew find themselves underpaid, and the top tier employees go to look for work elsewhere - having the confidence that they have market value and are employable elsewhere.

This creates churn, and leaves in place those who don't believe they'd get another job elsewhere (and may be right). In any case it creates a constant influx of inexperienced people, which can immediately degrade the service experience.

Double edged sword. Poorly performing crew (there are lots of them) are rewarded thru the DSC. Auto tipping creates a safe spot for slackers and removes the incentive to go above and beyond. It's happening now, on all ships. Removing the DSC and cash tipping is one way to balance the scale. The myth cash tips have to be turned is just that, a myth.

I saw a gentlemen on my last cruise take the whole service charge off .he was adamant about leaving his own tips to the individuals who gave him outstanding service ..... I don't know how he tipped people who did service behind the scenes....... Just a thought....

He possibly didn't tip anyone, he just said he was going to. I really think that the majority that takes the DSC off never entends for the money to go anywhere but in their own pocket. They just say they are tipping those individually, so they can save face.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Double edged sword. Poorly performing crew (there are lots of them) are rewarded thru the DSC. Auto tipping creates a safe spot for slackers and removes the incentive to go above and beyond. It's happening now, on all ships. Removing the DSC and cash tipping is one way to balance the scale. The myth cash tips have to be turned is just that, a myth.

Just as you say their are poorly performing crew who are rewarded thru the DSC, there are fantastic performing crew members who are stiffed when one deducts the DSC.

My first foray on a tipping thread. A compromise. Perhaps a smaller mandatory DSC for behind scene people including a bare bones for those in direct contact with passengers and a return to envelopes and encouragement by the lines to tip for excellent service to those in direct contact. That way the slackers get very bare bones, but the incentive is still there for great service. Btw we never remove DSC, have never had service bad enough to justify it. Otoh have frequently tipped extra for anywhere from good to outstanding service.

Mary Ann

In my job, if one performs poorly, one is taken to task for it, and possibly put on probation, and possibly terminated.

One's pay isn't docked along the way, as a penalty.

excuses excuses. There is relatively little correlation between either tips or a dsc. Its more a function of training, supervision and the employees own work ethic. But the DSC is their "salary". That is how they get paid. They do rely on actual tips to supplement that. I must tell you on the 15 or so NCL cruises I have been on I only really bad service at one meal. Slow service some other times but that may or may not be the servers fault. I reported it and they knew about it already. This server was having a bad day.

If it was included in the fare as it is on most of the high end lines how would you do something about it. And the fact that the included lines normally have good quality staff that are given high marks gives the lie to that including it makes for slovenly and lazy staff. Personally I would just rather see it in the fare knowing that none of the complaining would stop and knowing that it would probably cost me more(Azamara for an example now includes it in the fare along with price increases that are higher than the suggested amount was previously and yes I know they included more than just the tips). cheap is as cheap does.

you know I can convert it into the fare by prepaying it....which is what the original poster was asking about...

Edited by smeyer418

My first foray on a tipping thread. A compromise. Perhaps a smaller mandatory DSC for behind scene people including a bare bones for those in direct contact with passengers and a return to envelopes and encouragement by the lines to tip for excellent service to those in direct contact. That way the slackers get very bare bones, but the incentive is still there for great service. Btw we never remove DSC, have never had service bad enough to justify it. Otoh have frequently tipped extra for anywhere from good to outstanding service.

Mary Ann

yes but that is what NCL suggests. They had one time had it as a mandatory supplement but as some point out even when they have said that they ALWAYS have removed it upon complaint by the committed serial removers. Its $12 per day. that includes all the meals, snacks, and the cleaning of your room at least twice a day. Most of the employees work in teams, they don't want the slackers any more than you do. the point of NCL's dsc is because of freestyle you don't have an assigned wait staff(you do have an assigned room staff)...

Those that complain about that they have already paid for it just don't want to understand the economics of the current cruise fare system...and frankly don't want to.

$12 is the base not the highest amount....

Back in the day when passengers tipped by envelope, we had assigned waiters as well as cabin staff. We handed the envelopes of cash to our servers and wait staff, thanking them for impeccable service.

My question is, how were the behind the scenes employees, such as laundry workers, paid in those days? Today they share in the tip pool. Was their salary higher to compensate for lack of tips?