Norwegian Cruise Line will institute changes to its smoking policy for all sailings o

gbearcruiser

I know people who will just factor in the $250.00 as cruise cost and smoke on their balcony.

Why can't lines make the aft upper decks smoking balconies? If a non smoker isn't bothered by the smoke they can have the cabins too, I'm a non smoker and I don't mind when someone smokes on their balcony next door to me.

This whole thing is just silly to me.

There is no comparison between a 2-6 hour flight to your destination and a 4-8 day vacation. . . .

The idea that a cruiseship will impose a fine is interesting. . .

How will they collect this money? Unless they have a signed receipt accepting the penalty and agreeing to pay the fine or video feed of the offense, how exactly does Carnival plan to collect the aforementioned fine???? Once off the ship, the smoker can just dispute the charge by saying, "it wasn't me. they have me confused with someone else" and Carnival then has to fight the credit card company. . . . Carnival is not going to do that. If they demand payment while on the cruise, that is just $250 less the person has to spend on the ship. Lose - lose for ole Carnival (or NCL as the case may be). Will they threaten to put the person off the ship if they don't pay upfront? If so, I believe the United States penal code views that as extortion. . . Again, if paid by credit card, not enforceable or collectable.

And, if a person repeatedly smokes in their room will they be put off the ship on some distant shore?? If so, when that smoker meets up with unfortunate misadventure while stranded, who is liable for any loss or injury?? Carnival would be foolish to go into court and explain that they left anyone on some island without proper resources simply because "they repeated smoked cigarettes on their balcony." Now that I type this, perhaps there was a more direct reason for Carnival ditching that No Smoking ship back in the day. . . . Any misfortune that befalls someone put off the ship who was not either clearly breaking a serious law or a danger to the other passengers would fall right in the pockets of Carnival. . . contract be darned. . . .

Sounds good in theory but just how far and how much risk is Carnival willing to substain over a 5 minute cigarette. . . . I am not anti the new policy. I am just wondering thru typing how much smoke and mirrors (excuse the pun) is involved in this "new" policy.

It is in the cruise contract that you must agree to before you sale. It will be charged to your on board account. No problem in collecting it. Actually other cruise lines have kicked people off for smoking violations. Since it is a violation of the cruise contract the lines have no problem with doing so, the same with any other violations.

If cruise lines don't have a problem with forcing people off ship if they view that they are not healthy enough to continue, why do you think that they would have any problem at all with smoking violations of the cruise contract.

I don't know the answer, but I'm sure they have all the details worked out. Perhaps this would be better answered by someone on the RCI/Celebrity boards since they have already had this policy in effect for sometime. As I have sailed Celebrity numerous times and spent countless hours over there, I can assure you that it has already been dealt with.

And I'm sorry, I feel no sympathy for anyone that gets the boot for disobeying the rules no matter if it's smoking, being violent, etc. By them breaking the rules, they release Carnival of any and all liability once off the ship thus ending their voyage.

Carnival has experience with charging the fee. It was done often on Paradise when she was non smoking.

If you don't pay/dispute the fee don't plan on ever cruising with carnival again.

On the old boards(before they switched over to this board in 2004) there were accounts of pax that were indeed put off the ship for repeated violations.

Maybe 1/4 of those 18% would not sail, about 4 1/2% that will be more than made up for by new non smokers who will now be willing to sail. No smoking will be a positive for the cruise lines. In 5-10 years I can see 100% non smoking on cruises. Remember when they stoped smoking on air liners. The smokers all called it the end of air travel. Really.........

There aren't a whole lot of other options to air travel. There are a whole lot of other options for vacationing so honestly its a huge difference. A lot of smokers are looking into AIs now because they allow smoking outdoors everywhere

I remember one incident that a family was put off because the son had cigarettes and a lighter. The rules were very tough on the Paradise and from what I've read, they had zero tolerance.

Another guest bought a carton of cigarettes in port and tried to sneak them on the ship...how he thought that would fly is mindboggling.

There is no comparison between a 2-6 hour flight to your destination and a 4-8 day vacation. . . .

The idea that a cruiseship will impose a fine is interesting. . .

How will they collect this money? Unless they have a signed receipt accepting the penalty and agreeing to pay the fine or video feed of the offense, how exactly does Carnival plan to collect the aforementioned fine???? .

I do believe that when you put down a deposit you are accepting the cruise lines "contract"....in which all policies and penalties are denoted and you are "accepting". This is the "signed agreement", as you call it! So the cruise lines is well within their boundaries to penalize for an infraction as stated.

How will they collect the money?? You gave them a credit card number, expiration date etc for "incidentals", when you filled out your pre-cruise info, right? That is the same credit card attached to your "Sign and Sail" card....whereby anything you purchase onboard (gratuities, liquor, excursions, fun shop purchases, for fee dining etc) is charged. They simply just put the penalty charge onto that same credit card account on file.....easy peasy!! Protest all you want, pax rarely WIN!!!

Edited by buddylover

I do believe that when you put down a deposit you are accepting the cruise lines "contract"....in which all policies and penalties are denoted and you are "accepting". This is the "signed agreement", as you call it! So the cruise lines is well within their boundaries to penalize for an infraction as stated.

They simply just put the penalty charge onto that same credit card account on file.....easy peasy!! Protest all you want, pax rarely WIN!!!

I beg to differ. . . . The bank's customer RARELY loses when disputing a charge. (Trust me, I dispute my fair share) If it comes down to he said, she said between a bank's customer and a cruiseship employee, the bank is going to back their customer. I think the most Carnival can do is ban the non-paying offender from ever cruising on Carnival again. Once a bank customer files a dispute it becomes a numbers game. Is it worth it to the merchant (in this case Carnival) to pursue the charged amount or is it more financially feasible to drop the charged fine and just ban that passenger for XX amount of months/years. I can assure you, Carnival will do the latter, without fail.

If a bathrobe turns up missing from your cabin and Carnival wants to charge you $50 for it but you tell the bank that you left the robe on the bed, trust me. . . . . Carnival DOES NOT get $50 from your credit card (unless they have x-ray video showing the bathrobe in your luggage at the airport, which, of course, they will not.)

As far as leaving people on these islands. . . . it is a slippery slope. In America anyone one can sue anyone for anything, contract be darned. At the point the evicted cruiser files suit against carnival using a contingency based attorney, again. . .it comes down to a numbers game. What is the cost analysis of cutting this whiner a check and having him/her sign a confidentiality agreement as opposed to fighting this case in court with Carnival's very very high priced attorneys and the media watching. . . . Again, if the case has not garnered too much media attention, cutting the whiner a check and barring them from future cruises is by far cheaper and better than fighting this in court. Carnival does not want to defend leaving a family in the DR, Jamaica, St. Kitts, and having a member of that family robbed, raped, maimed, kidnapped or murdered as they attempted to get back to the states (all for smoking a cigarette??? CNN would have a field day with that. hahahahaha). No contract will stand up to that type of public opinion beating. . . . Easier to either turn a blind eye to the offense (sneaking liquor onboard) or pay off the injured party.

We would all like to believe that there are stiff penalties for rule breakers. However, in the unfairness of life, there often are not. . . . Many people will continue to smoke on their balconies (like chair hogs) and Carnival will announce a bunch of penalties, carry out a few and then hope for the best.

Funniest part of all of this is all the non-smokers who claim they will now buy balcony cabins...ON the 2 lines that implemented this policy on Jan 1 of this year (royal and princess) neither one has any cruise with balconies sold out. Both have cruises with interior rooms sold out. So just isn't happening.

I beg to differ. . . . The bank's customer RARELY loses when disputing a charge. (Trust me, I dispute my fair share) If it comes down to he said, she said between a bank's customer and a cruiseship employee, the bank is going to back their customer. I think the most Carnival can do is ban the non-paying offender from ever cruising on Carnival again. Once a bank customer files a dispute it becomes a numbers game. Is it worth it to the merchant (in this case Carnival) to pursue the charged amount or is it more financially feasible to drop the charged fine and just ban that passenger for XX amount of months/years. I can assure you, Carnival will do the latter, without fail.

If a bathrobe turns up missing from your cabin and Carnival wants to charge you $50 for it but you tell the bank that you left the robe on the bed, trust me. . . . . Carnival DOES NOT get $50 from your credit card (unless they have x-ray video showing the bathrobe in your luggage at the airport, which, of course, they will not.)

As far as leaving people on these islands. . . . it is a slippery slope. In America anyone one can sue anyone for anything, contract be darned. At the point the evicted cruiser files suit against carnival using a contingency based attorney, again. . .it comes down to a numbers game. What is the cost analysis of cutting this whiner a check and having him/her sign a confidentiality agreement as opposed to fighting this case in court with Carnival's very very high priced attorneys and the media watching. . . . Again, if the case has not garnered too much media attention, cutting the whiner a check and barring them from future cruises is by far cheaper and better than fighting this in court. Carnival does not want to defend leaving a family in the DR, Jamaica, St. Kitts, and having a member of that family robbed, raped, maimed, kidnapped or murdered as they attempted to get back to the states (all for smoking a cigarette??? CNN would have a field day with that. hahahahaha). No contract will stand up to that type of public opinion beating. . . . Easier to either turn a blind eye to the offense (sneaking liquor onboard) or pay off the injured party.

We would all like to believe that there are stiff penalties for rule breakers. However, in the unfairness of life, there often are not. . . . Many people will continue to smoke on their balconies (like chair hogs) and Carnival will announce a bunch of penalties, carry out a few and then hope for the best.

You really have not followed the industry and the cruise contracts. The contracts written very much in favor of the cruise lines are very difficult to beat with credit card companies. They clearly spell out the charges and penalties. They have quite routinely kicked people off of cruise ships for violations. All very routine with them.

They have removed people for health issues, when the cruise line (in the form of the doctor on board) has determined that they were not healthy enough to continue, even when the people wanted to stay on board. If they have no problem with that PR what makes you think they have any problem at all kicking people off of the ship for an act that clearly violates the cruise contract.

If you don't think that they will, I suggest that you go on board, clearly violate their contract and then see what happens. Be sure to take your passport because you will certainly need it to get home.

People can sue for whatever they want. Lots try and sue the cruise lines but very few win for two reasons, contract and maritime law.

Edited by RDC1

I remember one incident that a family was put off because the son had cigarettes and a lighter. The rules were very tough on the Paradise and from what I've read, they had zero tolerance.

This is true! I sailed that ship 4 times when it was first brought out on the east coast. People were definitely put off....and I remember the incident where the whole family was put off because of the son.

BTW...the times I sailed Paradise back then, it was always full... It was great!

A know it all on every thread! Ha!

If you don't think that they will, I suggest that you go on board, clearly violate their contract and then see what happens. Be sure to take your passport because you will certainly need it to get home.

Exactly right. People get kicked off cruise ships all the time. More often than that, they get left behind by cruise ships. There is no "bad PR" as this happens more or less every day. Disorderly drunks are put off the next port. Gropey McFeelyhands gets put off. People caught smoking pot (including families with teens) get put off. Why do smokers think they are special? You either sign for the $250 fee or they disembark you at the next port, remove your luggage, and Carnival's agent at that port helps you find a flight home at your own expense if you so need.

People keep quoting percentages. How does Carnival know it's 10%!!! Did we hit an "I smoke/I don't smoke" button when we board a ship?:confused:

Makes no difference.

Carnival is not going to increase the smoking areas.

And all the Cruise Critic polls and post will not change that.

Face it, non-smoking is good business.

Money talks.

I agree that there will probably be a cruiseline that continues to allow smoking to catch that market. I personally don't smoke but my mother does and always books a balcony so she can smoke. Now that they changed the rule on that, I would not be surprised if she just did not cruise anymore.

As far as the non smoking ship experiment (wasn't it Paradise), I wonder if they did that again today and set it in south Florida (where the majority of ships are), if they would have the same results or if it would be more popular. I am not sure when that was, but the culture about smoking has changed in the past several years and smoking is being banned more and more.

This is my thought, as well. Also, the amount of money saved with their insurance premiums might make up for some of the loss in smoker guests bookings.

Rather than going with an entire ship that's non smoking...when the next schedules come out next year,they should try non smoking cruises.

That way they can see if there is really a demand and if the sailings are profitable, plus non smokers could have multiple ships and itineraries to choose from..

Makes no difference.

Carnival is not going to increase the smoking areas.

And all the Cruise Critic polls and post will not change that.

Face it, non-smoking is good business.

Money talks.

I just asked a question, didn't ask if it made any difference:rolleyes:

Seems like an awful lot of aggravation just to buck the rules and laws everyone else seem to be willing AND able to agree to.

Actually I tried to go there before but nobody believed me. If every smoker on a particular cruise chose not to follow the rules there isn't a whole lot Carnival can do to enforce them other then put PAX off the ship.

Actually I tried to go there before but nobody believed me. If every smoker on a particular cruise chose not to follow the rules there isn't a whole lot Carnival can do to enforce them other then put PAX off the ship.

But, I think that all they would have to do is make an example of a few...

On Carnival Dream, when it was in Pt Canaveral, we saw people trying to smoke in the casino and if they weren't playing the machines, they were told they couldn't smoke there. Smoking was allowed at the casino bar and when we entered the casino from the bar end, it was quite smoky. After we got past the bar area, I didn't think it was smoky or bad smelling in the non-smoking area.

My guess this policy will be adopted on all ships if it isn't already on them.