Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Smoking on Balconies

Poohsmommi

I'm sorry, but smoking is not a right. NCL doesn't have to provide any place to smoke, just like my employer doesn't.

No NCL does not have to provide a place to smoke nor does your employer .BUT SMOKING IS A RIGHT FOR ALL OF LEGAL AGE TO DO SO. I have been cruising for 40 years and not once have I ever heard someone say I am not going on a cruise because people can smoke on a balcony...it is also my right to post my opinion.

I stopped reading after about page 6 for obvious reasons, since its' the same old.

It's been a great 5 years chatting with everyone and I thoroughly enjoyed my cruises with NCL. Due to the recent smoking policy change NCL has chosen to make, I will be finding alternate vacationing in the future and will no longer be cruising on NCL.

Enjoy your cruises anyone that is continuing to do so.

Bye!!!!!

I stopped reading after about page 6 for obvious reasons, since its' the same old.

It's been a great 5 years chatting with everyone and I thoroughly enjoyed my cruises with NCL. Due to the recent smoking policy change NCL has chosen to make, I will be finding alternate vacationing in the future and will no longer be cruising on NCL.

Bye!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. Enjoy whatever vacations you have planned.

No NCL does not have to provide a place to smoke nor does your employer .BUT SMOKING IS A RIGHT FOR ALL OF LEGAL AGE TO DO SO. I have been cruising for 40 years and not once have I ever heard someone say I am not going on a cruise because people can smoke on a balcony...it is also my right to post my opinion.

Within the limits set by state and national non-smoking laws, and the rules set by various cruise lines, hotel chains, businesses, property owners, etc.

Did you hear about the fire on the Star Princess several years ago? I am surprised any cruise line allows smoking on balconies. That fire could have caused a great loss of life!

Yes in the short term they actually do. Cruise prices are most expensive in the far future and least expensive at the last minute. Far future cruise prices increased for all cabin categories on both Princess and Royal when they banned balcony smoking. ON the other hand last minute prices are dirt freakin cheap if you can wait until the last minute to book

I've been watching a balcony cabin prices on CCL Dream for Dec. 2015 since a few months before they announce the balcony ban....the price hasn't moved.

Bye!!!!!

I'm sorry you are making that choice. NCL cruises are just amazing. I am not sure why someone would change vacation plans over something as minor as smoking on a balcony though. You are of course free to make that choice. I hope you find other vacations that meet your needs better.

Within the limits set by state and national non-smoking laws, and the rules set by various cruise lines, hotel chains, businesses, property owners, etc.

Of course all rights can be curtailed by certain federal/state/city laws. Just like it is illegal to shout "Fire" (when there is not a fire) in a crowded theater.......First Amendment will not help you there. But smoking or not smoking on a balcony will never be governed by laws, it is governed by the private company that owns them who can grant or remove the rights it's gives to it's customers. So when someone says you have not "right" to do some (such as smoke), they are wrong. Rights are created by the governing authority (in this case NCL) and if the governing authority grants said "right" then it is, by all definitions, a "right" for someone to exercise if they so choose (such as the current "right" for anyone to smoke on their balcony until 01 Nov at which point in time the governing authority (again in this case NCL) is removing said "right")). I do find it funny that so many people claim a "right" to fresh air when there is nothing in NCL's documentation authorizing said "right" to fresh air, before or after 01 Nov. :rolleyes:

Actually there is no RIGHT to smoke. Actually we don't even have a RIGHT to post your opinion on a privately owned and operated message board. If we did have a RIGHT to post our opinions here then any time a post was deleted or a user was banned we would have legal recourse. I don't think anyone here we have such recourse.

And you would be completely incorrect in this statement. NCL did indeed grant the "right" to smoke on one's own balcony if they so chose to do so. NCL is also removing that "right" on 01 Nov.

Bye!!!!!

Its been a pleasure ... See ya around the AI's ... ;)

Did you hear about the fire on the Star Princess several years ago? I am surprised any cruise line allows smoking on balconies. That fire could have caused a great loss of life!

Did you hear about ALL the fires started on cruise ships in the engine rooms. Goodness sakes, they really should ban those engines. :eek: Those fires could have caused great loss of life.

On a side note the star princess fire was presumed to be caused by a cigarette it was never proved to be that, you may want to check your facts. The actual highest number of fires on land are a result of electrical appliances, ie. hair dryers, curling irons, straighteners doubt those would be banned either.

I've been watching a balcony cabin prices on CCL Dream for Dec. 2015 since a few months before they announce the balcony ban....the price hasn't moved.

Prices on my January Ncl cruise have risen 2 x since the announcement

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a side note the star princess fire was presumed to be caused by a cigarette it was never proved to be that, you may want to check your facts.

By now, I'm really surprised there are still people saying this garbage. Have you read the entire investigation? No, it was not presumed. It was concluded to be the most likely cause after all other causes were ruled out. There's a big difference. If you really think that fire was not caused by a cigarette, I've got oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you. Someone died in that case, and it irks me to no end that whoever threw that cigarette got away with manslaughter. I hope that person is haunted every day for what they did.

By the way, I know the people who conduct those investigations. Give it a little time. You may be seeing another report soon that concludes a cigarette to be the most likely cause.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

For those who laughed at the notion that NCL may be changing the smoking policy because of constant complaints from non-smoking passengers, that is exactly why Carnival did it. Why wouldn't NCL's reason be the same? I found nothing in any article about insurance policies or sprinkler systems or other reasons stated in this thread.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2014/07/09/carnival-bans-smoking-on-balconies/12400429/

Cruise passengers requested the tougher smoking rules, the line said.

"In response to the preferences of a majority of our guests, effective October 9, 2014, Carnival Cruise Lines will no longer allow smoking on stateroom balconies fleetwide," the line said in a statement to USA TODAY.

By now, I'm really surprised there are still people saying this garbage. Have you read the entire investigation? No, it was not presumed. It was concluded to be the most likely cause after all other causes were ruled out. There's a big difference. If you really think that fire was not caused by a cigarette, I've got oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you. Someone died in that case, and it irks me to no end that whoever threw that cigarette got away with manslaughter. I hope that person is haunted every day for what they did.

By the way, I know the people who conduct those investigations. Give it a little time. You may be seeing another report soon that concludes a cigarette to be the most likely cause.

Actually I never once said whether I believed or disbelieved this was the case, what I said was they have never proven it was the cause. My point to that post was you have a much higher probability (according to studies and statistics that people love to throw around on here) if you are afraid of fires on a cruise ship, that you have far bigger threats to worry about than one possible incident that may have been caused by that.

BTW I won't disagree with you that if it is proven that it was caused by that, I wished they could find the idiot that threw the cigarette butt. For 2 reasons, one he/she caused such devastation and put the safety of everyone on that ship in jeopardy and 2 because he/she gives smokers a bad name that somehow makes all smokers look careless. As a smoker, I have to say I am more than careful on a ship because like all the wonderful non-smokers, I do not want the ship to catch fire either.

Prices on my January Ncl cruise have risen 2 x since the announcement

And how do you know this is related to the ban? We had a balcony room on NCL Jewel last October. I booked it in January. The price never dropped after I booked it....it only went UP. On the other hand we also had a balcony room booked on CCL Freedom last August that I booked in December. The price dropped at least 6 times before our cruise. It is very possible that your price went up because supply dropped as non-smokers started booking those rooms again. The law of economics says that as supply drops, prices go up...not the other way around.

Edited by Warm Breezes

The prices started jumping 2 days BEFORE it was announced. Hence they were preparing for the cancellations and want the nonsmokers who will book to make up the difference of the perceived losses they will incur

Wouldn't that be from all the CCL cruisers who said they cancelled because of CCL's ban and started booking on NCL....therefore increasing demand, dropping supply and rising prices :rolleyes:.

Just like somebody pointed out economics 101, this is a great example of Conspiracy Theory 101.

What's far more likely in the strategy is: "people will pay a higher price for balconies, now that there's no risk of a smoker being next door".

I think you hit it spot on with this!

Since it is against CC rules to correct someone's use of the language, I think this would fall under that category.

However since your correction is still here, I think you had best do some research though before you question someone's use of a word. There are many definitions of the word right (depending on your source or dictionary). One of which is "something that is allowed". Merriam-Webster's definition "something that a person is or should be morally or legally allowed to have, get, or do". Therefore, that poster did use it in the correct context. Just sayin'

I'm not correcting someone's use of the language; I am correcting a definition - BIG difference. I am talking about the legal definition of the word "RIGHT", because people have stated that they have the "RIGHT" to do something and NCL has to accommodate.

The legal definition of "RIGHT":

In a concrete legal sense, a power, privilege, demand, or claim possessed by a particular person by virtue of law.

There is no law that gives you the power to smoke. If there was, your workplace, restaurants, hotels, etc. would have to accommodate your need to smoke. We all know that's not the case.

Anyway, again this is an issue of semantics. We all make choices on our travel dollars; some think smoking or lack thereof is a deal breaker. I don't; I certainly wouldn't let it dictate my plans either way. But I also don't think that NCL owes me anything in this regard, the have the "RIGHT" to set policies for their ships as they see fit.

And I'm out too. Happy sailing to all.

A few years from now this will be another non-issue as far as cruise travel goes. It will just be the norm and both smokers and non-smokers won't think twice about it.

People will decide to adjust with the policies or they will adjust their vacation choices.

Same thing that happened around here when smoking in bars ceased.

Was a Princess customer until they changed smoking rules. Went to NCL as I enjoyed a smoke on the balcony. Now with new policy after Nov 1, I will go back to Princess.

Smokers are making rational choices as smoking policies evolve. You decision to move to NCL was rational. If many, many Carnival cruisers had folllowed you to NCL, that may have been to much for NCL to comfortably handle. And now you are making another rational decision, as are those that select AI's, as are those who cruise NCL with the new restrictions.

You liked Princess before, and I hope you will really enjoy them again now.

NCL is a smaller cruiseline. On smoking policies, they seem to be choosing to be followers, not leaders, and that make some sense. Let the the biggest line lead the way, and your smaller line won't be a seen as a crazy outlyer. They did it with cabin smoking before, and with balcony smoking now. Given the size of their fleet, if smokers fleeing multiple other lines flocked to NCL, balcony smoking might have increased substantially, and along with it the risks of complaints from unhappy nonsmokers and, sadly, of careless smoking (a small minority are careless smokers, but a dangerous minority, nevertheless).

I hope all the cruiselines will try to devolop comfortable (open air and ventilated interior) spaces that will more or less satisfy most cruisers. No line is apt to please everybody.

And how do you know this is related to the ban? We had a balcony room on NCL Jewel last October. I booked it in January. The price never dropped after I booked it....it only went UP. On the other hand we also had a balcony room booked on CCL Freedom last August that I booked in December. The price dropped at least 6 times before our cruise. It is very possible that your price went up because supply dropped as non-smokers started booking those rooms again. The law of economics says that as supply drops, prices go up...not the other way around.

I just posted what has happened to my cruise it just so happens I booked right before the ban was announced and since I watch my cruise price like a hawk I already adjust my price

As I have posted many times , I want Ncl to allow smoking on the balconies as I never book one anymore nor do I care to smoking or non smoking

I prefer smokers to segregate themselves on their private balconies and not at the lido smoking areas

Edited by luvtheships

Bye!!!!!

Nice try in that last post .. Thanks. I am exercising my right to not cruise even though I had the privilege of meeting many nice people here through the years.

I'm not correcting someone's use of the language; I am correcting a definition - BIG difference. I am talking about the legal definition of the word "RIGHT", because people have stated that they have the "RIGHT" to do something and NCL has to accommodate.

The legal definition of "RIGHT":

In a concrete legal sense, a power, privilege, demand, or claim possessed by a particular person by virtue of law.

There is no law that gives you the power to smoke. If there was, your workplace, restaurants, hotels, etc. would have to accommodate your need to smoke. We all know that's not the case.

Anyway, again this is an issue of semantics. We all make choices on our travel dollars; some think smoking or lack thereof is a deal breaker. I don't; I certainly wouldn't let it dictate my plans either way. But I also don't think that NCL owes me anything in this regard, the have the "RIGHT" to set policies for their ships as they see fit.

And I'm out too. Happy sailing to all.

I agree, there is no "law" that allows someone to smoke. But with a private company, they can most definitely grant someone a "right" or privilege" to do something (as long as it does not violate a law).... no different than you granting someone the "right" to do or not do something in your own home. In reference to smoking, NCL has granted people the "right" to smoke on their balcony and other locations. NCL, as a private company can also take away a "right" that was once granted such as not allowing smoking on the balcony. Another passenger does not have the authorization to take away a right granted by someone with the authority to do so (i.e. one passenger cannot keep another passenger from smoking on their balcony, only NCL has the authorization to do that).

For you, smoking on your balcony may seem absurd as a deal breaker for cruising. For others, things that may be deal breakers for you seem absurd to them. It's up to each person to decide what they wish to spend their hard earned dollars on and what is a deal breaker to them.

Edited by Out to sea!