Black Sea october

cruzadict

We are really close to booking the Black Sea cruise 14th October but my husband is concererned that the weather is not going to be good with rough seas. Has anyone done this cruise that can give any insight. Also, would we need to obtain our own visa for Sochi.

Your original question about the weather in October is not an easy one. We cruised on Celebrity Constellation Sept/Oct 2013 with the Black Sea portion of the cruise in early Oct. We had wonderful weather until the entered the Black Sea, temps dropped to the 50s and 60s, with wind, rain and storms.

It was a very unusual cold front that hit the Black Sea area for that time of the year. People in Ukraine told us that the weather was more like what they have in December or January.

We still enjoyed our cruise, despite the weather.

I would expect the weather not to be as bad in October, but be prepared for what we had, it could happen.

Also, you probably won't get to visit any Ukrainian or Russian ports.

The average temperature in Trabzon in October is 18C or 65F, we are on the 20th Sept cruise.

As for Sochi who knows what will happen. I can't see them cancelling St Petersburg so why cancel Sochi. If you book have a great cruise.

... I can't see them cancelling St Petersburg so why cancel Sochi...
Well for starters Sochi is significant closer to Ukraine and the so called Donetsk Republic. I can't believe this thread was started AFTER the shooting down of MH 17, and no one has commented on the possibility of that escalating the already nasty situation. Yes, Sochi was still on some itineraries yesterday, but I would not bet that on sticking. Sochi is also a distinctly second tier or lower port, while St. Petersburg is one of the premier ports of the world.

Thom

Just booked the cruise, great price for CC so will just wait and see what happens with Socchi. If the weather is not good will just have to make the most of the ship and the drinks package - no big deal !!!!

There is a reason why the price is "great". If you are concerned about the weather in October then I can say that (with some exceptions) the weather is pretty nice in that region - not hot or humid, but very comfortable for exploring the area. It is not that warm to swim in the sea but it's pleasant just to walk in the beach. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about the weather over there. I would worry about the rockets flying over my head.