Norwegian IConcierge App--Best Thing Ever!

RobC1116

For those who have used the iConcierge messaging features: will messenger list for you all the other passengers who have registered? I'll be traveling with a large group, and I'm hoping iConcierge automatically creates a directory of all registered users on board rather than us having to meet and exchange numbers more manually.

Any help to know what to expect is appreciated?

No, you have to enter each one manually

For those who have used the iConcierge messaging features: will messenger list for you all the other passengers who have registered? I'll be traveling with a large group, and I'm hoping iConcierge automatically creates a directory of all registered users on board rather than us having to meet and exchange numbers more manually.

Any help to know what to expect is appreciated?

No, you have to enter each one manually

And thank goodness, I might add! I can't imagine having to scroll through hundreds of names every time I want to send a message to a family member. That would be ridiculous.

And thank goodness, I might add! I can't imagine having to scroll through hundreds of names every time I want to send a message to a family member. That would be ridiculous.

Agreed! And the contact ID number includes cabin number. I wouldn't want everyone having that info with my name.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am conducting a research on how digital customer experience affects customer satisfaction as my final year project. Could anyone has used NCL's iConcierge app be so kind to fill in a questionnaire for me please? I am sure your experience will be very valuable for my study, many thanks and have a lovely day.

Questionnaire:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JN9PBB3

• 4 months later...

:oi am confused, trying to figure out the iconcierge app, I called norwegian they claim all messages are free, but on here, it looks like 7.95 per phone to download then use it for messages. i need to use it as my spouse is nearly deaf and i will need to be able to reach him when we are on cruise and in different places.

can you tell me if i do go in and pay concierge and then sign on and he also, then can text each other with no additional costs ( if we turn off cellular data and put in airplane mode) we are both iphones 5 and 6 and have sprint. Anything i should know?

our cruise is in October 2015. previously sailed norwegian sky last fall and enjoyed it, didn't know about this app.

You need to download the free app from. The AppStore BEFORE the ship leaves port.

Both of you need to.

You then will be presented with the option of messaging.

It will show up as a charge in your stateroom account .

The free things are booking shows, checking your invoice, making dinner reservations.

:oi am confused, trying to figure out the iconcierge app, I called norwegian they claim all messages are free, but on here, it looks like 7.95 per phone to download then use it for messages. i need to use it as my spouse is nearly deaf and i will need to be able to reach him when we are on cruise and in different places.

can you tell me if i do go in and pay concierge and then sign on and he also, then can text each other with no additional costs ( if we turn off cellular data and put in airplane mode) we are both iphones 5 and 6 and have sprint. Anything i should know?

our cruise is in October 2015. previously sailed norwegian sky last fall and enjoyed it, didn't know about this app.

The app is free to download. There are many free features. You can also pay a fee of $7.95 per device to activate the messaging feature. Once that is activated, messages are no charge. You will need to put phones in airplane mode, but then turn Wifi back on in order to use the messaging feature.

My family really liked the pay for part of the app also. Although, we would have liked for it to have a ship map. Especially an interactive one, but even a simple map would have been a big help.

Now for the money generating idea…NCL should include some free games with their app. They could get people hooked on the games while they are onboard and then charge for the game if people want to continue to play it after the cruise is over. Kind of like Candy Crush. It's free to start, but people pay lots of money to continue to play and add levels. This would be another way for NCL to generate funds that could in return keep cruise rates (or at least the iconcierge app rates) stable for everyone.

The app is free to download. There are many free features. You can also pay a fee of $7.95 per device to activate the messaging feature. Once that is activated, messages are no charge. You will need to put phones in airplane mode, but then turn Wifi back on in order to use the messaging feature.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. :o

You need to download the free app from. The AppStore BEFORE the ship leaves port.

Both of you need to.

You then will be presented with the option of messaging.

It will show up as a charge in your stateroom account .

The free things are booking shows, checking your invoice, making dinner reservations.

Ok good to know:o

We used this app on the Star last month and really liked it. My next NCL cruise is on a ship that doesn't have iconcierge.

Anyone know how I delete this app from my iphone? I haven't seen a delete feature via the app or my iphone.

Edited by herdingdogmom

We used this app on the Star last month and really liked it. My next NCL cruise is on a ship that doesn't have iconcierge.

Anyone know how I delete this app from my iphone? I haven't seen a delete feature via the app or my iphone.

Just hold finger down on the app till jiggles and then delete as you would for other iphone apps, so far as I can tell.

You delete it the exact same way you delete any app from your iPhone. There isn't a special secret trick to it.

Just hold finger down on the app till jiggles and then delete as you would for other iphone apps, so far as I can tell.

Thanks so much. That worked perfectly. No more messages that I've been disconnected from the ship's wifi which just reminded me every day my cruise was over.

which ships have Iconcierge? We are going on dawn next week. need to be connected to phone unfortunately. Any info on using a sprint phone onboard?

I have only been on the SKY but I know sprint does work, its just that you have to pay more for using onboard, according to Sprint which is what I have, you call and set it up with them ahead of trip and they will give the rates, rates go to on land v. on board ship, so ask about both, they will ask what countries you are visiting.

which ships have Iconcierge? We are going on dawn next week. need to be connected to phone unfortunately. Any info on using a sprint phone onboard?

FYI - iConcierge is a free APP for iOS and Android devices, using ship's intranet/WiFi system and has nothing to do with your cellular provider's. To effectively use it, download the latest release prior to leaving home - it has been updated within the 72 hours on Android to Ver 2.17 - otherwise, once you are on the ship or at the cruise terminal, poor and/or slow signal will make it a challenge to download & install the app - prior to registration/activation once connected to the ship's system. Additional functionality has been added/upgraded, you can scroll the APP to get an idea of what it is capable of.

To use a Sprint phone onboard, you need to contact customer service to have enable international and roaming usage with compatible partners' network abroad & at sea for the satellite to cellular relay connections, at rates set forth by your home carrier (Sprint, in this case)

For Dawn sailings to Bermuda, the island's local carriers support both GSM and CDMA systems, you should check with Sprint about its island partners and their roaming rates. I do know that while on an Alaska cruise, one of my BIL had zero coverage in the 3 major ports a few years ago - it was also possible that roaming/international usage was not provisioned for so the roaming system did not allow calls to come thru - inbound & outbound.

I would check with the few roll calls ahead of the current sailing with folk sthat sailed the Dawn and/or visiting Bermuda this cruise season to see which carrier has coverage and who doesn't - VZW, AT&T and T-Mobile are all fine, AFAIK - prepaid & resellers or MNVO availabilities are usually limited, if at all.

Do a search as there're a number of recent threads about current availability and adequacy of coverage on various ships and at different foreign ports, etc.

Sailing on the Gem in July, will this app work on the Gem?

Best available info for the GEM was "no" as of Feb/March 2015 - the hardware upgrade was supposed to be done during ship's dry dock, delayed until later this year. Although, they can running cat5 or cat6 wiring up in the ceiling panels & setup hotspots everywhere, etc. while the ship is in service. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2164674&highlight=ncl+gem+iconcierge

It wouldn't hurt to pre-download/install the free APP and sail in July to see what happen then. Keep checking with the Roll Call folks just ahead of your sailings - good luck & happy cruising.

Edited by mking8288

My family really liked the pay for part of the app also. Although, we would have liked for it to have a ship map. Especially an interactive one, but even a simple map would have been a big help.

Now for the money generating idea…NCL should include some free games with their app. They could get people hooked on the games while they are onboard and then charge for the game if people want to continue to play it after the cruise is over. Kind of like Candy Crush. It's free to start, but people pay lots of money to continue to play and add levels. This would be another way for NCL to generate funds that could in return keep cruise rates (or at least the iconcierge app rates) stable for everyone.

Good call about the map! I loved that you could make dinner and show reservations through the app but I wish it had the menus from the specialty restaurants and a way to see a list of what dinner/shows you had reserved for each night along with the reservation time.

We didn't use the messaging/phone since it was just my husband and I but I loved being able to look up all of the charges/credits to our account so we could keep track of expenses. I also liked that you could look up all of the Freestyle Daily schedules for the week to see what was coming up.

We used the app both in Getaway last year and Epic this year. It is a bit buggy still; where sometimes it disconnects and you don't realize it. It also would be nice to have more features ( e.g. group chat). But still worth the money to be able to communicate. One thing not mentioned is that you can also call each other. The free part of app is awesome - you can see your up-to-date room charges and make reservations ( tender, dinning my entertainment).

Each person is given a number that is the room cabin plus a 2 digit number (01,02,03,04) to distinguish each passenger in the same room. The passengers in your own cabin are preloaded in the app. So if you go to "contacts" in the app you can see everyone in your cabin and there assigned number. Then you add a contact, you can enter in any name and this number. Then you can message or call who you entered as contacts. We did this the first day while we are all gathered in the garden cafe for lunch. Also if you have someone entered, you can just text them with " this is <name>".. They get the message and can easily create a contact from that message.

The app does, for some reason, allow notifications to show up. So I would get Facebook notifications. But you only get the few parts of the message that would show up in the notifications. My daughter would get MLB notifications so she would know how our Cincinnati Reds were doing ( lost 9 games straight while we were on vacation, so they were not good notifications. Lol). So in theory you could use it for some one way communication from home. But don't think this is really part of the app; just something NCL has not figured out how to block yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
We used the app both in Getaway last year and Epic this year. It is a bit buggy still; where sometimes it disconnects and you don't realize it. It also would be nice to have more features ( e.g. group chat). But still worth the money to be able to communicate. One thing not mentioned is that you can also call each other. The free part of app is awesome - you can see your up-to-date room charges and make reservations ( tender, dinning my entertainment).

Each person is given a number that is the room cabin plus a 2 digit number (01,02,03,04) to distinguish each passenger in the same room. The passengers in your own cabin are preloaded in the app. So if you go to "contacts" in the app you can see everyone in your cabin and there assigned number. Then you add a contact, you can enter in any name and this number. Then you can message or call who you entered as contacts. We did this the first day while we are all gathered in the garden cafe for lunch. Also if you have someone entered, you can just text them with " this is <name>".. They get the message and can easily create a contact from that message.

The app does, for some reason, allow notifications to show up. So I would get Facebook notifications. But you only get the few parts of the message that would show up in the notifications. My daughter would get MLB notifications so she would know how our Cincinnati Reds were doing ( lost 9 games straight while we were on vacation, so they were not good notifications. Lol). So in theory you could use it for some one way communication from home. But don't think this is really part of the app; just something NCL has not figured out how to block yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello! We are leaving for the Getaway on Sept. 26, just to confirm you used it on that ship? The cost is $7.95 per device for the entire cruise? Thanks!

Hello! We are leaving for the Getaway on Sept. 26, just to confirm you used it on that ship? The cost is $7.95 per device for the entire cruise? Thanks!

It is available for the Getaway...

Norwegian iConcierge

Now Norwegians can unwind, unplug and still stay connected. Our Norwegian iConcierge app keeps you informed about everything going on, lets you make reservations for Shore Excursions and more on board Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Star and Pride Of America. You can plan your playtime with just one hand — which is great because your other hand will probably be holding an umbrella drink.

Here's a link to download the app...

http://www.ncl.com/apps

• 11 months later...

The app was not working on our phones!!

We are from The Netherlands/Holland, and the original language of our phones is Dutch (NLD).

The app checks that (Why?).

It was generating errors en also gave the attached error.

I went to the internet-manager and he was aware of the problem but couldn't help us.

So we could not use the handy functions of the app.

Very disappointed!!

Marco

Screenshot_20160801-115647.jpg.4dab0a25ba47dc8c2c213d6ab41208e6.jpg