What happens if my roommate can't travel?

Faircliff

Most any reason cancellation does not pay 100% in cash it is either a full credit or a percentage in cash. They make you put some skin in the game.

Ok....its a credit for a later cruise for the person who cancelled. ...but the one sailing still goes as a single for HALF PRICE.....right ?

Edited by blkspy

Nope, sorry. If your buddy cancels and uses any reason coverage, he is covered for a credit. But you would be refared at the single supplement rate. Essentially doubling your cruise. This extra fare is not covered by Princess insurance because Buddy's cancellation is not for a Covered Reason. You would also have to cancel for any reason and take the credit if you don't want to come up with the higher fare. Or as they put it..

Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver refunds are also provided if you are charged a change in occupancy/single supplement charge as a result of your traveling companions cancellation due to one of the reasons cited above.

The listed reasons are the standard covered reasons, but don't include the any reason option. (Sickness, illness death (non PEC); traffic accident enroute; home made uninhabitable; jury duty/subpoena; being called to active military duty)

Edited by cherylandtk

Even after my SIL died and my brother showed her death certificate they would only refund the money to her credit card. He argued with them that after she died he cancelled all her cards (since she would no longer need them) so they offered her a future cruise :rolleyes:.

That is a good example of the rules getting in the way of commonsense.:mad:

Nope, sorry. If your buddy cancels and uses any reason coverage, he is covered for a credit. But you would be refared at the single supplement rate. Essentially doubling your cruise. This extra fare is not covered by Princess insurance because Buddy's cancellation is not for a Covered Reason. You would also have to cancel for any reason and take the credit if you don't want to come up with the higher fare...

This is my take on it, too. A similar thing happened on the NCL boards, I believe, and the solo pax was charged 250% to sail!

The OP said she was already at her max, financially. I don't see any mention of her cabin type. Perhaps if they were sharing an OV or above, she could downgrade to an inside and with the SS still be able to take the cruise?

Edited by Ryndam2002

In the case of the OP, the travel partner is canceling for a covered reason, and both people have third party insurance. Usually they are both going to be covered in a case like this, but it depends on WHEN the friend is told not to travel and how timely she responds.

There was a woman recovering from ankle surgery on our PP cruise last winter. She had a sort of scooter/walker that she knelt the bad leg on, so she was resting on her knee and shin, and pushed herself along with the other leg. One of the waiters would carry her food tray in the buffet, and the scooter was light enough to easily go in the tenders for port days.

If your friend is healthy enough to bear weight on her knee, this might be an option.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There was a woman recovering from ankle surgery on our PP cruise last winter. She had a sort of scooter/walker that she knelt the bad leg on, so she was resting on her knee and shin, and pushed herself along with the other leg. One of the waiters would carry her food tray in the buffet, and the scooter was light enough to easily go in the tenders for port days.

If your friend is healthy enough to bear weight on her knee, this might be an option.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Actually, my friend is using a knee walker at the moment. They are a godsend… I used one for eight months when I broke my ankles. Saved the day. However I am not really too sure how we would get it from our home to the ship as there is travelling involved. We might be able to get it on the tender but I don't think we could get HER on the tender (she's not a spring chicken).

Someone also mentioned about downgrading to a smaller cabin. I've looked into this but the cruise is 99% sold out and I think the only inside left is in the nose of the ship. How long that one will even remain is a question and we haven't had any word from the doctors or surgeons yet.

Thank you to everyone who is giving their information. We are still very much up in the air but I do appreciate hearing all the different scenarios and possibilities. Once we do have something definitive from the surgeon we will have our TA and Princess in the loop as well.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

...Thank you to everyone who is giving their information. We are still very much up in the air but I do appreciate hearing all the different scenarios and possibilities. Once we do have something definitive from the surgeon we will have our TA and Princess in the loop as well...

Best of luck to you both! Please post how things turn out.

Well, we are still hoping. She is still non-weight-bearing but will see the surgeon again in a months time. He was a bit ambivalent but not negative so we are assuming she will be able to hobble on to the ship and sit in a deck chair for the entire cruise. I will be the one treating her like royalty. ;-).

I will update everyone to let you know the actual ramifications if Princess is involved.

Well, we are still hoping. She is still non-weight-bearing but will see the surgeon again in a months time. He was a bit ambivalent but not negative so we are assuming she will be able to hobble on to the ship and sit in a deck chair for the entire cruise. I will be the one treating her like royalty. ;-).

I will update everyone to let you know the actual ramifications if Princess is involved.

Here's hoping it all works out okay!

Hope it will be ok.

This reminds me when my daughter was around 7 and a week before our cruise she stepped off the curb and sprained her ankle. So here we are with all our luggage and her on crutches. The first day of our 10 day cruise on the ship she decided she didn't need them so we dragged them there and back for nothing. Thanks for the memory.

• 1 month later...

Again, thank you to everyone for your input. Well with about a week before we leave… My friend is in a walking boot and seems to be hobbling along okay with a cane. She is game to attempt the cruise, although I suspect there will be times when she will need to sit and have a rest and not venture too far afield. (we'll be headed for the handicap seating in the theatre as stairs are a bit of an issue)

This has meant we have not had to discuss with Princess about an alternate cruiser (although another friend did step up to say she would go). Nor have we had to look into refunds either for her and/or myself. Whew. While it would've been a learning experience, I didn't want to have to go through that.

Our travel agent has arranged for a wheelchair to help her board the ship and for Disembarkation. That will be a godsend. When I phoned on another matter, a Princess representative on the phone also suggested a wheelchair to get on and off the ship in one of the ports as the port facility is quite huge. I thought that was very nice of them.