Papeete - Meridien or Intercontinental?

CLOU

I had originally heard that the Meridien was the better hotel in Papeete, and that Radisson put it guests staying in the higher cabin categories in the Meridien. However, I have read in the some of the guide books that the Intercontinental is the best hotel. Does anyone have any thoughts?

icon_cool.gifYou are correct about RSSC policy re Meridien/Intercontinental. That may change with the new Radisson opening. The Meridien has very nice and large rooms/baths and a great sand bottom pool. We enjoyed it very much.

We had a one night pre-stay at LeMeridien before our Paul Gauguin cruise and then Radisson put us at the Intercontinental for a day room at the end of our cruise. I didn't see that much difference between them. Both have nice rooms, great pool areas, and below average food. Either one should be fine.

Sue

I posted a detailed review on CC for my post stay at the Le Meridien Papeete. Do a search and put my name mp8shnt as the author and they will come up.

Todd

3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin

11/10/2003 Mariner - Cruising the Chilean Fjords

4/9/2004 Leaving Lost Wages Land Cruise

11/12/2004 Mariner - Cruising the Mexican Riviera (MINT Cruise)

3.jpg?dc=4675448422710665188

Cruising Radisson - Where I belong!

I stayed at the LeMeridien pre cruise and was sent to the InterContinental for the day room after the cruise due to a mixup with Rad booking office. However it turned out for the good as I was really not looking forward to going back to the LeMeridien. Extremely poor service and a hotel on the par of a 3 star category, if that. The upside to this hotel was the lovely pool and georgeous landscaped grounds. I would never intentionally stay there again and if I do return to Tahiti and I am in a cabin category again that places me at the LeMeridien I will make arrangements upon booking to see that I go to the Intercontinental or the new Rad hotel being built. If you have an Intercontinental Ambassador Club card (these can be purchased) and go to this hotel they will upgrade you to an over water bungalow complimentary......as the only upgrades from the standard rooms are the OWB. We were upgraded for the day room when I showed my card and were lucky enough to get one of the newer OWB on the lagoon. A perfect end to a lovely vacation. Others I know have enjoyed the LeMeridien but we encountered just too many problems to give it a thumbs up.

Pat

There are so many inaccuracies (or possibly misconceptions) on this board, that it is really harmful. We just got back yesterday from our PG cruise and discovered so many differences from our bulletin board impressions. Although I plan on doing an extended review this weekend with images, suffice it to say the Meridien is NOT RESERVED for the "higher level" cabins. In fact, virtually everybody from level 7 (Cat C as well as the suites with the extended balconies) all went to the Intercontinental. The only tags we saw going to the Meridien were from level 4 (nonbalcony, picture window cabins). So, do not believe everything on this board that is preached as gospel. More to come later.

WS

Watchstuff: No one on this board is saying what we put here is gospel and is the be all and end all. These are are own impressions and opinions just like your review will be. I know for a fact that the Cat C's and over were sent to the LeMeridien during our cruise and it was also stated in print in the Radisson brochure that this was the norm of doing things. Perhaps things have changed and perhaps they have not or even perhaps the Le Meridien was full and that is why the guests were sent to the Intercontinental. There could be several different reasons and variables. None the less I look forward to your review but please try and lighten up.

Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately, the replies muddy the waters still more. It doesn't seem like there is a great difference in quality. I guess it all depends on your tastes and whether or not you had a particulary good or bad experience.

Clou: Why don't you ask your TA if the new hotel is open yet or will be open when you cruise. Because it is a Rad property and brand new it surely has to be better then either of the two previously mentioned hotels.

Just a thought!

Watchstuff, it used to be the case that the higher levels went to the Meridien and that was so when we went to Tahiti last Sept. But this year in Feb this was not the case and only Category 4 went to the Meridien and all others went to the Beachcomber. I had heard the reason was that the Meridien was under renovations and it was not such a pleasant experience there. Renovations were to be finished by June. Just rumours and not gospel.

Miriam

icon_cool.gifThe big plus for Le Meridien was the sand bottom pool IMHO. Food everywhere in Papeete is marginal. I believe RSSC will probably use the new Radisson hotel once it's up and running. The Le Meridien chain has been having troubles lately. That may have something to do with the changes watchstuff experienced.

I too, was at the Intercontiental last week and it is a beautiful property, a destination resort. I didn't see the Le Meridan so I can't comment on it. The room we had at the Intercont was beautiful and the food, though expensive, I thought was good. $88.00 for a buffet line, USA $$. The OWB's are fun, but we liked our room #492 even better. A/C worked fine.

In case you have not found my detailed review of the Le Meridien Papeete.....We really had a great time. I thought the Le Meridien was a good value. I remember asking questions about the OWBs at the Beachcomber and at the time no one knew anything. All I knew was that they were more espensive for some reason. Well, I guess the reason was because they were newer than the OWBs at the Le Meridien. But, we still had a great time and it costed us less to stay at the Le Meridien.

Todd

3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin

We and 2 friends stayed pre-cuise at the Meridien and were very disappointed... mainly the consistently poor food, and poorly maintained rooms. I never stayed at the Intercontinental, so can't comment on that.

I don't understand the postings regarding different cabin "classes" assigned to stay at different hotels. It was our choise to select one or the other.

Found my Le Meridien Review somewhere else as itr is missing from this site:

The Le Meridien

There has been so much controversy over this beautiful hotel. This is a hard review to write because I want to do this hotel justice. It’s easy to do the PG justice because not one bad word had been written about it.

Why Le Meridien Tahiti and Why a Post Stay?

Initially I booked the PG and it was going to be that – just the PG, nothing more. Then after reading some reviews, I started to think this is a very long trip to do in a week (8 hours each way on a plane). I remembered reading some posts about a back to back and costing about $2000 or so (not per person, total) for the “F†category room. Well, by the time I got around to asking about the back to back with my travel agent (I think it was November or December 2002) it was too late and Radisson had changed their pricing structure. That second week was going to cost around $4600. OK, I don’t get it and will not debate it here. Next I started thinking about hotel and a post stay. I read a lot about pre and post stays and all I remember reading was EXPENSIVE. I also wanted to keep the transition activities to a minimum (no planes, trains or ferries). So I started checking the Internet and looking at the PG brochure. Well, based on my research, a post stay at Le Meridien (4 nights) was a bargain via Radisson. Initially we booked the lagoon view room and then changed to the Over the Water Bungalow (OWB). Why? Incrementally not that much more money $670 vs. $990 including taxes, breakfast daily, and Radisson transfers (Expedia – $400 per night, no breakfast, without taxes and transfers). Also, we had never seen or stayed in an OWB. (There was a time when I was trying to change to the Intercontinental Moorea OWB and could not because I was within 30 days of my departure - a Radisson rule – no changes.)

Also, why a post vs. a pre? Well, the pre is more expensive. The OWB same hotel etc is $1660 vs. the $990 for the post. We had scheduling problems and could not do a pre. Also, I wanted to do the post as a last ditched effort to relax. The PG is port intensive, a lot of activities etc. I started to get relaxed on the PG; however, I really got there at the LM.

The Trip to Le Meridien

The trip to Le Meridien (LM) Tahiti begins where we left off on the disembarkation of the PG. We boarded the bus at the Papeete port and were on our way to LM. I would agree that the areas immediately surrounding Papeete harbor are not that nice. But, as you head toward the LM, things begin to pick up. What exactly do I mean about not that nice. Well, lack or architectural continuity, a lot of deferred maintenance (rusted roofs, overgrown yards, structures in dire need of paint etc.). There are pockets of nice homes, but only pockets. Things start to look better as we get near the Intercontinental Beachcomber. The Intercontinental Beachcomber really looked nice as we approached and dropped off our fellow PG passengers. We then progressed on to LM.

As we progress to LM, the density of homes begins to lessen. As we approach LM, I immediately notice the adjacent mini-mall and restaurant. Then we drive up to LM. Beautiful! There is a pond as you approach and then a large grassy area surrounded by beautiful flowers and palms (for some reason our of 150 pictures I do not have one of my own of the front of the hotel a night time shot courtesy of Le Meridien http://www.lemeridien.com/owshare/lemeridien/worldwide/pictures/p/pf1656-2.jpg ). The LM looks like large Tahitian bungalows with wood shingle roofs. See adjacent areas of LM at picture numbers: 176, 182 –183, 191 – 192. All the common areas within the hotel are open air – Reception, restaurants, bar etc.

We get off the bus and make our way to Reception. After waiting in line a few minutes I inquired about our OWB. It was around 9:00 a.m. and I was told to check back after lunch - lunch began at 11:30 a.m. What to do – What to do???? I decided to go to the mini-mall and get some coke, water and prepaid phone cards. I strolled over to the mini-mall admiring the grounds. As I turned onto the main road I spotted what most people affectionately call “The Pizza Placeâ€. I was immediately impressed. Nice Building (see photo number 187)! I peered in as it was closed and was impressed with the interior as well. Beautiful interior with faux wall treatments, curved arches, a bar, tables with tablecloths and cloth napkins and Air Conditioning! I didn’t remember any reviews quite doing this restaurant justice (I tried taking two photos – they really did not turn out (188 and 189). You will see pictures later of the interior. I continued on to the mini-mall. Nice place. Has a lot including a video store, souvenir store, drug store, another restaurant (French), a very nice Veterinary Clinic, clothing, and other misc. stores. Adjacent to this mini-mall is the local grocery store. I liked it! Had everything I was looking for and the prices were not that bad. 6 bottles of water (1.5L) about $8. Coke 1.5l about $3. Bought some phone cards as well $10 a piece. They last somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes. Back to my post paradise.

Met up with Jaime and we decided to go to lunch. Lunch is included in the day rooms for the other PG passengers and us as well because we are doing a post there. A lot has been written about this buffet, again, I don’t think what I have read does it justice. Was it the PG at La Verandah - no. Was it good – yes! The Plantation (see photo 243) restaurant is down 2 levels from Reception and is open aired looking out at the Koi pond, sand bottomed pool, lush grounds and the beach, ocean and Moorea (see photo 294). There must be about 4 different stations for this lunch plus a large hot area where they have some breakfast items (French toast, pancakes, sausages, bacon, hashed browns etc.) as well as Hamburgers made to order. The four different stations had cold salads, breads and pastries, fruit, cold meats and other items. I started with some salads and then switched to the breakfast items. Why? I wasn’t satisfied with the buffet at L’Etoile.

So it was about 12 p.m. What to do, what to do? Relax and enjoy the views. Ok, we did that about a half an hour and then it was back to Reception. As I was waiting in line a gentleman comes up to me and asks if I am Todd Riley. I said, “Why yes I amâ€. He introduced himself as Norm Kent and explained that his wife Sue Kent would like to meet me and is sitting off to the side of Reception. After getting the keys to my OWB, I went over and met Sue Kent. Sue Kent is also a Cruise Critic Board Member. She had just done her day room at LM and was off to the PG for her 3/22 cruise. We had a brief chat. I told her she was going to have a blast!

Off to the OWB

Pictures below:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mp8shnt@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/Le+Meridien+Post&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/mp8shnt@sbcglobal.net/lst%3f%26.dir=/Le%2bMeridien%2bPost%26. src=ph%26.view=t&.view=t

The OWB

So one of the two times I was at reception I asked for the furthest OWB out with a balcony facing Moorea. Reception indicated no problem. So I was told that our room would be 812. Off we go to what I am thinking the last OWB out facing Moorea – Nope! It was the first one off the shore, but it was facing Moorea. We went into the OWB and immediately called Reception. They said they were going to put us in 807 (the furthest one out facing Moorea) but housekeeping had reported the phone being out. I asked if it could be fixed and could we switch to that room. They said the technician was on the way and they would know shortly. We ran into the technician shortly after we got off the phone at room 807. He fixed the phone. We called reception, had our bags moved and we were now in 807.

The OWB is large, approximately 500 square feet. It has a king size bed, a desk area with coffee service, a built-in couch area, a TV, minibar unit that can be moved in the room for your viewing pleasure, a Large shower, separate sinks with a wood vanity top (yes wood!), separate shower, enclosed toilet area, walk-in closet with drawers, shelves and a safe, hardwood floors in the living areas, tiles in the bath areas, a cathedral ceiling with a fan, and a balcony with two chairs and a table approximately 70 square feet overlooking Moorea. The room is beautiful! It looks approximately like the pictures located at happytours http://www.happytours.com/tahitipgmain.nsf/tahiti_tahiti_meridien_accom5.jpg?OpenImageResource . They had great pictures of the interior so I did not take any and it approximates the room we had. The exterior had some deferred maintenance issues with paint and varnish for the wood treatments on the exterior. Major problem no.

It was summer in Tahiti at the time of our visit – Mid to upper 80’s plus humidity. One of the first things I did in the OWB was make a mad rush for the air-conditioning. I turned it on and noted slight cooling, I new it was never going to get us to 72 or close. I just knew that little air-conditioner, no matter how many times it has said “I think I can†was not going to cut it. Well, it did cool, just not great. How cool did it get ever? Upper 70’s over night. So here’s my advice: If you are sensitive to air-conditioning, will be traveling in the “Summer in Tahiti†time period, this might not be for you. There is a pretty good trade wind over the water and you can open a lot of these wood slatted windows to let air in. We went with it and enjoyed ourselves. I did mention to Reception on day 2 that the air was not cooling significantly. Did I ever see a change? No.

Due to the events that occurred while we were on the Paul Gauguin (this was March 15, 2003), we were hungry for news and could not wait to watch CNN International. The Paul Gauguin does not have CNN and only has two local French stations. Well, it just wasn’t going to happen. The satellite was down on the island (as we were told by Reception). It took a few days and it finally started working on Monday (we arrived Saturday).

I believe we hung out in the room, admired the views of Moorea, and just relaxed until dinnertime.

The “Pizza Placeâ€

As mentioned in Part 1, I admired the “Pizza Place†earlier in the day. I knew it would be where we were eating tonight as it is closed Sunday and Monday every week. This is important to remember because it does add significantly to your dining opportunities at the hotel. So we went to the Pizza Place – Le Cigalon. It’s really more than Pizza. We went twice. The menu has fish, beef, salads, shrimp and many more items on the menu, not just pizza. We had dinner for two, with wine for $76 as follows:

Broiled Beef $20

Tomato Basil Salad $12

99 Les Violettes Cotes Du Rhone Wine (Red) $20

Shrimp in Curry Sauce $24

My steak was 3 times the size of the Paul Gauguin portions. To me this makes no difference. The Paul Gauguin had portions that were just my size. And the food was good! Radisson, no. Good, yes. As good as a local restaurant in Los Angeles that we go to, yes.

As mentioned before, this is an attractive restaurant with a bar and is a good alternative to eating at the hotel (and affordable).

We did notice the show and dinner at the hotel on Saturday night. I think it was around $63 per person. It looked like a lot of fun and the food looked good.

OWB - Additional Comments

I was just checking my notes and noticed I forgot to talk about how therapeutic/relaxing it was at night listening to the waves breaking out a ways were the coral reefs were. At night it is so peaceful out there – just the sound of the wind hitting the thatched roof and the tranquil sound of the waves. And the stars are amazing! Living in Los Angeles we really do not get the same view of the stars. They were so bright! Very relaxing sitting out on the balcony looking at the stars!BreakfastOur Radisson package included breakfast daily. Breakfast is served at La Plantation restaurant in the main building (same as the lunch buffet on Saturday for Radisson guests). I thought the breakfast was quite good. We ate there 3 times for breakfast. The hotel charges guests about $28 per person for this buffet. They had made to order omelets, French (Freedom) Toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit, cereals, coffee, juice etc. I really liked it and thought the omelets were as good as the Paul Gauguin Le Grill. This is also a great setting as mentioned before over looking the beautiful grounds, sand bottomed pool, Moorea and a Koi pond. Service is good.Sand Bottomed PoolClick here for my pictures of Le MeridienTake a look at the pictures of the Sand Bottomed Pool. The pool is beautiful and has a pale blue/aqua color to it. Not sure how they do it. It fresh water yet has sand; maybe it’s special sand or something. I put my snorkel gear on and went exploring. In the pool there are about 4 “rocksâ€. They look like rocks but they have a dual purpose. They camouflage the filtering system for this pool. I went to the center of the pool and found the drains. The water is not as clear as a regular pool, but so unique!We laid out at the pool all day on the second day of our stay. There is a pool cabana where you can get towels snorkel gear and I believe check out a kayak. We laid under the umbrella and took in the day. Remember your sun block. I don’t think their umbrellas are going to do anything to help protect you from the sun. Service is good at the pool. Periodically the cabana staff will come by and take drink orders. I ordered a Mai Tai ($12) and it was really good and strong! The setting is so relaxing. Grass, palm trees, flowers and other plants also surround the pool area. The pictures are worth seeing on this if you have not been there.InternetYou can use the Le Meridien computers to use the internet for a fee of $10 – unlimited use for the day. I thought that is a fair price considering I paid about the same in Moorea for an hour or so. Again, based on the time period of our travel, we were extremely interested in CNN. So we checked the Internet until the satellite started working. Warnings: The LM computers are old – circa 1996 or so. The computers are Dell computers, but old MMX technology. The connection is via telephone, so slow again. The keyboards are French….not the same as ours. The letters do not exactly follow the same pattern as ours and to get numbers you need to push shift. Made writing emails and CC posts a little challenging. Dinner Sunday NightWhat to do, what to do when the “Pizza Place†is closed. Room Service! We looked at the menu and it was not that bad price wise. So we ordered room service for our balcony! Here’s what we had and it was very good:Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella $15Fettuccine Bolognese $14.50Steak in Mushroom Sauce with French (Freedom) Fries $29.50Total $60.00 Also this was plenty of food for two guys! Do I think the prices were excessive – no!Wine you ask? Why of course! Compliments of our friend Andrea (Berniss) - bottle of Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon!Two room service staff via a golf cart delivered room service. They simply did not hand us the tray and walk away. They set up our dinner for us on the balcony, with a tablecloth and corked and poured the wine for us. What service! Dinner was delivered within 20 minutes. I thought that was pretty good and they came later after we called to pick up the dishes etc. It was really a treat sitting on the balcony under the stars having dinner.

Le Meridien Post Stay Part 4

Snorkeling

One of the great things about staying in the Over the Water Bungalows (OWBs) is easy access to great snorkeling. We were in OWB 807 that was adjacent to the access point to the water – a sort of dock with a latter and rope to ease you into the water. The snorkeling was GREAT! The water has a lot of coral, which makes great hiding and feeding places for the fish. Take a look at picture 208. This was the view of the water and coral from our balcony – very clear. We saw an octopus while snorkeling. It was attached to a coral formation and was rather disguised and looked similar to the coral. Look carefully – sometimes you’ll be amazed what you can see out there.

Le Meridien Le Truck to Papeete

On Monday of our stay we decided to do Le Meridien Le Truck to Le Town – Papeete. The truck is really convenient and at a great price – free! LM’s Le Truck on Monday leaves at 9:00 a.m., picks up from Papeete at 12 p.m., picks up at LM at 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., I believe. We were on the 2:30 p.m. It’s about 20 – 30 minutes to town. The LM Le Truck drops off at the port area (next to where we picked up the Paul Gauguin), We went into town shopping. First we went to the Papeete Market (see pictures 273 to 277). Then it was T-shirt shopping until we ended up at the local mall. The mall is really close to the port. It had an Internet kiosk area that looked really nice – it had newer computers with flat screens (see pictures 279 to 280). The mall had travel, jewelry, souvenir and other stores.

We also went to a local café/bar. The bar had a great view of the port from across the street. It had open air, covered seating. It had an interesting sign that indicated, “tips are not forbidden (see picture 282).†We had a couple of Hirano beers and we tipped.

We then proceeded back to the meeting point for the LM Le Truck to pick us up (near the Tourist Information Center). While en route, we noticed the Tahitian Princess (see picture 283).

Another Dining Option

Jaime spotted another dining option near Le Meridien. The restaurant is located across the street and is Chinese. We decided we would give it a try – I don’t remember reading anything about this venue. The restaurant looks like a neighborhood Chinese restaurant – no glitz, no glamour – but air-conditioned! The Restaurant has Wine and Cocktails and a very extensive menu. The wine list was pretty good. We ordered Won Ton soup, Spring Rolls to start (no need to order both, either would have been plenty for a starter). We had a demi bottle of Bordeaux, Ginger Chicken, Black Been Beef, and bottled Water. Expensive? Not really - $65.40.

Another Night at the “Pizza Placeâ€

Our last night in Tahiti we ate again at “The Pizza Place.†This was Tuesday night. Remember this place is closed on Sunday and Monday nights. We had a Goat Cheese Salad with pine nuts ($15), Pizza with Ham, Cheese, Mushroom and Oregano ($12) – it was good! This pizza was big enough for two lighter eaters. Jaime had the Spaghetti with Salmon in a White Sauce ($18). We had a demi bottle of red wine (not sure what it was – not in my notes $12). I’m sure we had bottled water for a few bucks so the total was around $60.00 for two for dinner. Expensive? Not really. Service is also pretty good at this restaurant and it does seem to bring in the local population as well.

Trip to the Airport

Since we were not part of a large group (say 160 Paul Gauguin passengers) we did not need to have our luggage picked up early, waiting outside etc. Our Bus to the airport was at 9:00 p.m., for our 11:45 p.m. flight. The hotel told us we could check out anytime before that and call anytime to have our bags picked up. We had our bags picked up around 8:00 p.m. and checked out right before 9:00 p.m. and boarded the bus with another couple en route to the airport. A funny note was that the couple we boarded the bus with was also on the Paul Gauguin and was staying in the OWB next to us. We never really met them on the Paul Gauguin, though I do remember them and they were on at least one shore excursion with us (I saw them in one of our pictures). We had idle chitchat on the way to the airport. They were from Georgia.

We exited the bus and went into the airport to check in. We were told by ATN that it was an not a full flight – around 80 passengers. We proceeded thorough security and headed for the gate. We ran into Penny and Mike form Atlanta. They were also on the Paul Gauguin and did a post stay at the Intercontinental Beachcomber in Moorea. They said they loved it and their air conditioner worked well in their OWB. We boarded the plane around 11:15 p.m. and slept most of the way to LAX. The flight was quiet and uneventful.

Other Thoughts

We had a wonderful post stay at the LM. This is a great, affordable way to enjoy a little more of Tahiti without additional travel transaction costs. We truly relaxed at this wonderful hotel. We found the service to be good, the location good due to its view of Moorea and snorkeling and it being outside of town. We also loved the sand bottomed pool and beautiful grounds.

--------------------

Todd

Todd

3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin

I agree with some of the former posts. Our information is only true for the timeframes we went to Tahiti.

When we went last March, All C categories and higher went to the Meridien. Many gave the Meridien very low marks and the Intercontinental good marks. Perhaps that is the reason for the change amongst the other explanations given above?

This board reflect our recollections and personal opinions. We are not critics and hope all use this as merely guidance.

Hear hear! We all have our opinions and they should be taken as such.

I, for instance, will avoid the Beachcomber like the plague. I find it ersatz in atmosphere, the room that I stayed in was just okay, the air-conditioning was poor, and the service just okay. The restaurant overpriced and mediocre.

But to each his own. I like smaller, homier places.

Wendy

PG May, 2000

PG April, 2003

Diamond, 14/06/04

Not sure what all this dissin is about. Watchman makes a good point that so many lies are on this board. I think some people here cannot really afford the cruise much and want to act big when they get back by saying complete lies like the starboard side of the PG is better than port (as if it is a fact). Like Wendy above, if she likes small pensions, make your own arrangements girlfriend and stay somewhere else.

Slippyfun

What's with the attitude Slippyfun??? Nobody is telling lies here, they're just relating their personal experiences and sharing opinions. I think most participants in the board can figure that out.

Slippyfun, interesting and idiosyncratic use of the word 'lie'.

I've been following this board a good long while, and it's my experience that most posters don't get their knickers in a twist about opinions that differ from their own. We share experiences which are not objective facts.

Two people having Twinkies together will have the same experience. Travel is not like Twinkies. One person's week on a particular ship will never be exactly like another's. You have to apply your own intelligence when reading these boards by factoring in your own needs and preferences, and go from there.

If this board is not a good resource for you, then don't read it! It's okay to go find something else that works better for you. If you do decide to be a regular around here, please let us know how your cruises went. We'll take your opinions under advisement.

MarnaLou

Archived