"technical" clothing that's city appropriate

babysteps

A few weeks back there was a thread about packing techniques that had a side-discussion about "city" appropriate rain pants. I wasn't quite successful in finding decent examples online... found some good leads since then, so am back to post!

There are more options for men than for women, but here's a blog post titled "the long overdue rise of stylish travel clothing" with lots of links and plenty of opinionated commentary (I mean that in a good way) - who doesn't love a blog called 'Snarky Nomad'?

If anyone has real world experience with these (or other stylish technical) products/brands, would love to hear about it! So far I'm just browsing :)

Some of the brands mentioned that were new to me, in case searching is easier than clicking to scroll to click to shop:

pretty wide selections:

Rohan

Nau

Prana

more niche-y:

Bluffworks (a single style of men's office appropriate pants)

Outlier (made in NYC, a few women's styles, men's xs is 36" chest)

Proof NY (website down until July 21 as of July 18, 2014)

Ministry of Supply (men's only from what I see, although they do have xs size that's 34-1/2" chest)

Outerboro ("Women" tab says "Sorry, there are currently no products in this section.")

Good blog posting.

I have stuff from Prana (my favorite skirt that I'll take with me if I need a skirt), The North Face (definitely my favorite summer shirts - burnout Ts with very nice patterns), and absolutely Athleta. I have a new pair of Athleta Frontier Jeans that are great for outdoor endeavors as well as packing for a trip. I found a few nice printed shirts from ExOfficio that go with me, too. My go-to LBD is from Sahalie and it's gone with me more places than I can think of. I can pack light wherever I'm going and not feel like I'm advertising an outdoor retailer or looking like I'm going hiking or on a safari (unless, of course, I am doing that ;) )

There are ladies on this forum that will deride some of us who "travel light" because they don't think we can look good in "travel" clothes. It just takes a couple of trips where your are absolutely restricted on what you can take for a person to realize what they buy for a trip that is 1)lightweight, 2)takes up little packing space, and 3) looks "city good", aka, not like a tourist on safari…

Yes, what I wear at home is also what I travel with...

Edited by slidergirl

I've purchased a few things from Mountain Equipment Co-op. I'm not sure if they are available in the US (I'm in Canada). Two items of theirs really impressed me. The first is a pair of black nylon technical-fabric pants that don't have a bunch of loops and pockets and cargo-type stuff all over them. They pack, wear, wash and dry like a d*mn. I love 'em and if I ever find them in different colours, I will be buying more of them. The other is a long sleeved t-shirt that has princess seaming for a more fitted look, and contrast stitiching. It too packs, wears, washes and dries like a d*mn. Have done the shower stomp on the t-shirt and pants several times, and every time, I am impressed with the results. And the quick-drying abilities!

Neither of those items looks like I'm going to go sleep on a pile of pine needles and forage for berries :D

edit to add (after reading the blog post): the t-shirt has an in-seam zipped pocket that will hold a small item, and the pants have an interior zipped pocket at the waistband.

Edited by CowPrincess

My husband has some Outlier pants and I adore them - I have been thinking about their women's pants for travel for a while, as well as Anatomie though I haven't seen any this season there I am interested in. Quite expensive.

Personally, I have some Mountain Hardwear & Columbia pants that have various properties that make them great for travel yet not look like I'm ready to climb a mountain (I have different clothing for that:p)

I also love love love merino for travel - I get all my stuff through Sierra Trading Post, usually Icebreaker. Smartwool is also good but a bit scratchier. Heattech and Airism shirts & tights from Uniqlo a great (CHEAP!) addition to the wardrobe.

Like Slidergirl, I have one closet. What I wear when I travel is what I wear at home.

I like north face and Columbia. Actually, the first time we saw zip off pants was when we were visiting friends in Switzerland. Local folks in Europe wear these types of clothing just as much as Americans!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've purchased a few things from Mountain Equipment Co-op. I'm not sure if they are available in the US (I'm in Canada). .

Cow Princess - the American equivalent is REI. I still have my MEC card from Calgary & will shop there when I'm home :)

Edited by JanineM

Cow Princess - the American equivalent is REI. I still have my MEC card from Calgary & will shop there when I'm home :)

Same here. I have both REI and MEC. There have been times that I definitely helped with the Canadian economy when I visit the MEC store there in Calgary :D My favorite soft-shell and micro fleece jackets are from there - bought them 6 years ago and still going strong!!

...There are ladies on this forum that will deride some of us who "travel light" because they don't think we can look good in "travel" clothes. ...

To each her own, right?

My first rebuttal would be my favorite take-travelling skirt for dinner (or city daytime) - weighs just 2.8oz according to my postal scale, is nice and stretchy, very compact, colorful but tasteful...and is Dolce & Gabbana (from 12 yrs ago or so, but still going strong).

I did order from prAna, they had a top on sale that was exactly what I've been looking for - a tunic-y one that also works as a swim cover up and/or shorty night gown. It was even on sale :)

My mother was always bummed that REI didn't let you pass on your member#, my grandparents were crazy early members (don't recall exactly, and my mother is no longer with us to ask, but maybe 900- or 1,000-something).

Edited by babysteps

Great brand references on this thread - thank you!

I like Haiku handbags - they are sold online at many online retailers. Haiku bags are cute, well made, practical and have more style than the usual travel brands. Zappos has a good selection.

I also pack a couple of silk scarves - usually a small square and a long one in versatile colors. My favorite travel jewelry is a rayon fabric thread necklace with a bit of sparkle. It's totally soft and light as a feather.

Great brand references on this thread - thank you!

I like Haiku handbags - they are sold online at many online retailers. Haiku bags are cute, well made, practical and have more style than the usual travel brands. Zappos has a good selection.

I also pack a couple of silk scarves - usually a small square and a long one in versatile colors. My favorite travel jewelry is a rayon fabric thread necklace with a bit of sparkle. It's totally soft and light as a feather.

If you like Haiku handbags (I have 2 of them), take a look a the Sherpani bags. I've turned a few lades here onto them. My favorites are in the Elements collection bags. You can find them at the usual places (Zappos, etc.) as well as their own website AND at REI stores.

If you like Haiku handbags (I have 2 of them), take a look a the Sherpani bags. I've turned a few lades here onto them. My favorites are in the Elements collection bags. You can find them at the usual places (Zappos, etc.) as well as their own website AND at REI stores.

Yes to Sherpani! I have one small Sherpani bag - great for travel and around town. I found it online at Sierra Trading Post. The good ones don't stay around long once they're posted under Sierra's "new items."

• 2 weeks later...

Another Canadian store that has a variety of travel items is http://www.tilley.com/us_en/shop_women?cat=49.

My MIL used to have a selection of skirts and tops that she could dress up or down with accessories. Their jackets never wear out.

I do wish companies made vests and blazers with a few hidden pockets. I'm talking about something that doesn't look like I'm going on a safari or you're wearing one of those vests where everyone knows you're hiding things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Travelsmith has blazers with hidden pockets that are NOT like the Scottvest options. There was a period where they didn't have them (for women) but they had been in stock again last time I looked.

Those are getting closer to what I'm after.

http://www.travelsmith.com/city-safari-crinkle-vest/women/sweaters-wraps/807011. I'd like this with fewer buttons so it didn't have the "safari" look.

With most women carrying smartphones, etc, I'm surprised manufacturers haven't considered this. Men always get interior pockets.

Another Canadian store that has a variety of travel items is http://www.tilley.com/us_en/shop_women?cat=49.

My MIL used to have a selection of skirts and tops that she could dress up or down with accessories. Their jackets never wear out.

I do wish companies made vests and blazers with a few hidden pockets. I'm talking about something that doesn't look like I'm going on a safari or you're wearing one of those vests where everyone knows you're hiding things.

I have a few things from Tilley. They wear like iron, but I find most of them are too heavy. I do have one "Different Drummer" skirt by Tilley that packs well, and washes in the shower ;)

With most women carrying smartphones, etc, I'm surprised manufacturers haven't considered this. Men always get interior pockets.

Well, many women carry bags and don't want things in their breast pocket disturbing the line of their clothing. At least - that's why I've never worried about buying a jacket with more interior pockets. I don't want an ipad or a smartphone huge square on top of my already expansive chest ;-)

I got a Travelsmith catalog yesterday and there were 2 or 3 blazers for women that had interior security pockets, as well as some "travel" jackets and vests with exterior pockets.

Edited by Hoyaheel