Cruising over New Years with kids

We are considering a cruise out of Florida leaving around 27 or 28 of December, returning 3 or 4 January. Travelling with friends, total of 3 children aged 8, 10 and 11.

Assume it will be very busy as its school holidays, but interested in hearing from others who have travelled with kids during this time in the past. Are there special New Year's activities that are kid friendly? Is there a special NYE menu in the MDR or is it better to book specialty dining? The ships we are looking at are the Explorer, Allure and (I think) Freedom. We sailed Splendour in the Med last summer (FABULOUS) but limited things for kids to do, as our son did not want to take part in the Adventure Ocean activities. Thinking it will be better because he'll have friends on board, so more likely to take part in the organized activities.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done this before with some info, tips, etc. Thanks all!:)

cruised twice over New Years, lots of families with kids. many special activities, for all ages. The one night you want to go to the main dining room is NYE, they have a special menu with noise makers and hats. in the promenade they have a balloon drop. All the staff dress up in formal attire.

airplane travel in the winter over a holiday can be a challenge and expensive.

Millions of kids on board, since all schools are closed.

Menu in the MDR is "special" for NYE, which in my experience has meant "more limited".

All ships will be insanely expensive that week. Allure most of all. But that is the kid-friendliest.

I would book a specialty restaurant that night: Giovanni's Table. Most kid-friendly.

We have done Freedom the last 3 New Years. LOVED IT! Ship is full. Lots of kids (we have no kids). As others have said, eat in the MDR on New Years Eve. Very nice menu, noise makers, etc. It will be Formal Night. In my experience everyone dressed very nice. Many Tuxes and Formal dresses. Coat and tie at least. There were a few who chose not to dress up or change after dinner. One lady did show up in her pajamas (a little "odd"). But there are a lot of foreigners onboard who "dress to the nines." On the first cruise only 30% were from the U.S. So expect some "cultural differences" in passengers.

They have a huge party on the Promenade. They sell tables outside for a significant price. It includes hors d'eurves and champaign. Don't remember the cost, but I think around $500 per table and they hold 6 (?) (that was new this last year). We would get seats in the Pub about 10:00 and walk outside just before midnight. They serve a glass of champaign, but we brought our own. We take a bottle onboard and I just brought it down in an ice bucket for our use. They also sell bottles onboard around the ship.

So, bottom line, it was great fun. Would do it again this year but none of our friends can go so we decided to skip it. But all 3 years were really fun. Enjoy.