New to Princess

dogo88

We decided in late 2013 to expand away from HAL and try other lines. We're close to retirement and can now do two cruises a year. While we had no major issues with HAL, we wanted to try others to be able to compare and either determine HAL was still our preferred line or that other lines offered as good or better (or worse) experience. So for this year we did RCCL Allure and had a great time. There were differences but other than trading walkers for baby carriages the two line were similar and we would do them again.

We have the Getaway scheduled for Oct. We have been on NCL in the past and have mixed reviews but decided to try their newest ship.

We are looking at Princes for next April. We're looking at a 10 day Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale on the Royal Princess. So I wanted to come here and ask those that have sailed on different lines what we can expect, both positive and negative.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

I haven't sailed on the Royal, but I have done the 10-day Caribbean 3 times. You will find an older crowd (Younger than HAL, but still mature) and probably not many children. Mostly couples, but some families.

As far as dining we like Princess best because you can always find something to eat. The buffet is opened late, and after 11 they open another section with light fare. My DH likes that because he sometimes wants a cookie or two and some fruit just before bedtime. If you like pizza, they have the best pizza at sea IMO.

You will not find rock climbing walls or ziplines like RCCL, it's more laid back than RCCL or NCL as far it doesn't feel as frenetic as I experienced on those two lines. It is more lively than HAL.

For what it's worth, we started on Princess, and then tried HAL (Loved it), NCL (Liked it), RCCL (Not a fan), and Carnival (Surprised in a good way), but we keep coming back to Princess. I guess it's just a good fit for us.

Princess and HAL are pretty close in terms of food and service. Both have hits and misses. Princess, at least the larger ships, are great for a variety of activities, both during the day and in the evening.

I'm giving Princess a try because a friend asked me along. I'm usually Loyal to Royal. I'm sure I'll like it as just being on a ship is heaven.

We're in a mini suite.

All helpful hints and suggestions welcomed!

Cheryl

I've done one cruise on Carnival and one on RCCL. The Carnival experience I wouldn't repeat for many reasons which I won't get into here. I was on the Oasis of the Seas and really enjoyed the experience. Food and service were comparable to Princess. The ship was just amazing and a totally different experience than Princess. Wouldn't mind cruising RCCL again at all, but in the end, I think Princess it what fits me the best. I think you will find RCCL and Princess to be different experiences but in a comparable class.

Edited by custompcsys

There were differences but other than trading walkers for baby carriages the two line were similar and we would do them again.

LOL....From what I have read about HAL and from what I would expect on Allure you painted a picture.

With that said I am sure you will enjoy Princess it is very well balanced as far as age demographic.

LOL....From what I have read about HAL and from what I would expect on Allure you painted a picture.

With that said I am sure you will enjoy Princess it is very well balanced as far as age demographic.

We were a bit surprised. Actually the baby carriages were more intrusive. You quickly learn to avoid them if possible. With the walkers we usually were able to walk around them, not so with the carriages.

From what folks here have said it sounds like we'd enjoy Princess.

Thanks,

Dan

Princess is the best fit for us so we cruise Princess most often. :)

Still, we enjoy cruising of other cruise lines from time to time.

We book our longest and main cruise of the year on Princess.

Then take a shorter (7-10 day) cruise on another line.

It's fun to "sleep around" sometimes. :D

LuLu