First timers, few questions about what to do. HELP!!

SCSinger

This is our first time cruse, we leave on Sept. 7th from Seattle on NCL Pearl. (7 days) My husband is 91 and some trouble standing for a long time and a little wabbly walking. Our room is 9107. Do you think this is a good location for us? In reading about the Pearl many say to pay for the up grade dining, because of the long lines and long waits, my husband could not stand in line for a long time. We are ready to do what ever we can to make this special. On his 90 birthday, this is what he wanted so hope it will be special for us. Wish I had found Cruise Critic a year ago. I have many more questions, but will take it slowly. Hope this is the way to ask. Apologize if I have made mistakes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello and Welcome. Happy you found us. We will all try to help as much as we are able. :)

Have you considered bringing along a 'transport wheelchair'? They fold easily for travel and are small enough and light weight enough they are reasonable to manage.

Edited by sail7seas

I have sailed on many NCL ships and don't find the wait too long in the main dining rooms. Talk to the maitre d when you get on board and I am certain they will accommodate your needs. That being said I would treat myself to dinner in Le Bistro one night! Good luck and happy sailing with NCL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity,on the ridge,and sail7seas thanks for your ideas.I had not thought of the wheel chair because he has a problem using a cane, thinks he doesn't need it. I will keep that on the back burner and try to talk to him as we get nearer to the time we sale.

I will talk to the maitr d once we are on board about not having to wait so long in line and what could they do to help.

I had read the reviews for Le Bistro and had already decided to dine there at least once.

Will have more questions but will wait a few days, don't want to use too much of your time.

Thanks again,:)

If he has never walked on a moving ship, even the most hale and hearty of us can rock a bit from side to side if there is a lot of ship movement. Maybe you can convince him safe is so much better than risking an unexpected movement of the ship that could cause him an incident?

Most cruise ships only provide loan wheelchairs for embarkation and debark or if someone has an accident while aboard. If you choose to have one, you need to make arrangements in advance.

Just take this as FYI ...... certainly not 'pushing' my ideas on you. :)

I believe you can use a company who rents Wheel Chairs for use on cruise ships and they deliver these to your cabin for use on board... Why don't you just order on to be delivered and he can decide it he needs it once he is onboard (and pooped from all the walking)! At least you will have it if you need it!

Here is the name: Specialneedsatsea.com

I just checked this website and a chair is less than $100 for a week, you can rent a scooter for less than $200....

Edited by nana541

Your cruise sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday. The wheelchair can be a godsend. A lot of people who've never cruised before don't realize how big the ship is - it's a small city for all practical purposes. My mother is on oxygen and uses a walker when she's out. My sister took her on a cruise, and insisted they make arrangements for a wheelchair. Turns out mom was so grateful she did, especially for when they went from the cabin to the dining room and then from there to the show lounge, which is usually on the opposite end of the ship.

Roz

I just checked out your cabin placement and it is mid ship which is great! Turn your TV on to see what the weather is like outside as you are in an inside cabin.

A few other suggestions: when you board in Seattle go to the main dining room for lunch! The crew will try to direct you to the buffet on the upper deck but juggling a tray with food and mobility issues may not be the way you want to start your trip. And besides that, you are on vacation and need to be pampered cuz you can't take the crew home with you!

First night on board is the ONLY night lobster is free during your cruise in the main dining rooms!

They will offer an all you can stuff in a laundry bag once so wait if you have laundry for the special.

I'm pretty certain Nicky will still be on board as cruise director staff from the UK, tell her Bonnie says hello!

Any other questions please ask!

:)I just talked to my husband and he surprised me by saying he thought the wheelchair was a good idea. I have taken down the name and will order it on Monday or Tuesday.

Also If Nicky is there I will tell her Bonnie said hello.

Thanks we will not be standing in line at the buffet but will be sitting in the Main dining room.

Just want to add that many "social groups" like the Elks, Moose, VFW, etc, may even have wheelchairs to loan for trips.

And if he is 91 then there is a really good chance that he is a WWII vet if not Korean War Vet. If so, it is entirely possible that the VA would provide a wheelchair at a greatly reduced cost. (or free)

And finally, in the past, my Mother found wheelchairs at Goodwill Stores and other thrift stores for $20 or so for trips with her elderly husbands.

This is our first time cruse, we leave on Sept. 7th from Seattle on NCL Pearl. (7 days) My husband is 91 and some trouble standing for a long time and a little wabbly walking. Our room is 9107. Do you think this is a good location for us? In reading about the Pearl many say to pay for the up grade dining, because of the long lines and long waits, my husband could not stand in line for a long time. We are ready to do what ever we can to make this special. On his 90 birthday, this is what he wanted so hope it will be special for us. Wish I had found Cruise Critic a year ago. I have many more questions, but will take it slowly. Hope this is the way to ask. Apologize if I have made mistakes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

We haven't cruise don the Pearl but on the Jewel, the Star, and the Sun we did not have to wait in line, if you go about 15 minutes after the dining room opens, you should be fine. The lines that people complain about are mostly around 7pm or else after the first show gets out.

My 83 year old husband also uses a cane and hasn't had to wait more than a very few minutes in line because we go about 5:45pm if the dining room opens at 5:30pm.

I second the suggestion to eat in Le Bistro at least once. It is definitely worth the fee and there's no waiting since you make reservations for it.

:)I just talked to my husband and he surprised me by saying he thought the wheelchair was a good idea. I have taken down the name and will order it on Monday or Tuesday.

Also If Nicky is there I will tell her Bonnie said hello.

Thanks we will not be standing in line at the buffet but will be sitting in the Main dining room.

I think this is a nice " just in case" choice.... Maybe he won't need it, but your have it if you need it!

Remember NCL won't allow you to "borrow" any of their WC....but when you rent from the link I posted earlier your chair will be waiting on the ship for you. Don't delay get it ordered right away!

You should also post on the disabled cruising board.

Lots of things to think about. Can you push your husband? How much does he weigh? It sounds like you might have a more long term use for a wheelchair or a transport chair, which I think of as an adult stroller. I bought one for my mom and it was terrific, but.......she only weighed 100 pounds. The chair had 12 inch rear wheels, which is important. It was collapsible and weighed 17 pounds and fit easily in the back of a car. I wish I had bought it sooner.

It's just fine to rent, but you might want to put that money towards a piece of equipment that you can use more than once.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=transport+chair&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31466687217&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14318278585509086139&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6cpd446b5g_b

I'm thinking that the real issue is hauling a chair thru travels vs having one just waiting for them in their cabin.

The OP is coming from South Carolina and can pre-arrange wheel chair assistance in airports but it may be more that she is able to do on her own to drag a chair and deal with carry ins and a DH who needs assistance.

Knowing a chair is waiting and available with no hassle is worth the less than $100 for the peace of mind.

JMHO

Edited by nana541

Howdy, and welcome to the world of cruising. Ya will be hooked! Last Dec. I used my aluminum stroller, with a tray - big help. But this last May, I used a rollator, as some have mentioned it will fold up. Ibought mine for about $125, it has a seat, and a "pouch" under the seat. Had a great time, oh yes, I'm 86 and have a hip replacement. Good luck, and have a great cruise.

We haven't cruise don the Pearl but on the Jewel, the Star, and the Sun we did not have to wait in line, if you go about 15 minutes after the dining room opens, you should be fine. The lines that people complain about are mostly around 7pm or else after the first show gets out.

My 83 year old husband also uses a cane and hasn't had to wait more than a very few minutes in line because we go about 5:45pm if the dining room opens at 5:30pm.

I second the suggestion to eat in Le Bistro at least once. It is definitely worth the fee and there's no waiting since you make reservations for it.

In 2012 I took my mother on a cruise and it was on the pearl ,she needs a wheelchair for all movement except for very very short distances 10 to 15 feet. Norwegian Cruise line has a direct service that they use for all medical devices. Wheelchairs ,oxygen tanks ,Walker's ,scooters ,etc. just call Norwegian and they will put you in contact with this company. I don't remember exactly what the fee was but I seem to think it was $75(I could be wrong). But you do have to pay upfront. Then you contact the ship and they will have someone waiting to board you with a wheelchair they will take you to your cabin where your chair is waiting then at the end of the cruise, you leave the rented wheelchair in your cabin and someone will come get you with the ships chair to help you off the ship. The small fee for the chair you will find with in your first hour it was well spent. I couldn't get the motorized one so I don't know how much that costs but my mother has limited eyesight, but at every turn there was someone to assist me with pushing . She had the time of her life. It was also her first cruise. I hope you have the absolute most wonderful time of your lives. And you will love the main dining rooms. Setback relax enjoy wonderful meals and scenery and each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the end, we decided to rent the wheelchair. We are flying from SC, and I thought it would be easier than buying one. I will call the airline and get transportation from one gate to the next in Atlanta, much easier in Atlanta to have Delta get us from gate to gate.

I called NCI and they gave me the number for Needsatsea and then they told me to call my travel agent to have them try and book us in a stateroom that will accomodate a wheelchair. All of that is now done, and the NCI agent today reminded me to call Needsatsea about two weeks before we sail to be sure they have everything ready.

Our next hurdle is what excursions do we book?:)

:)

I want to thank everyone for your help. Againin13, it was just like you said, it cost $75.00 and I am sure it will be money well spent. We decided on the standard wheelchair, after weighing the pros and cons thought this would be best.

:)

I want to thank everyone for your help. Againin13, it was just like you said, it cost $75.00 and I am sure it will be money well spent. We decided on the standard wheelchair, after weighing the pros and cons thought this would be best.

That's fantastic you guys are going to have a blast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk