Brilliance Baltic Cruise

Having got so much useful information from here, I thought I would add my experience of the Brilliance of the Seas in return!!

Post 1 - arrival, cabin and the ship

I was on the BotS leaving Harwich (1July) on the 12 night Baltic cruise. I travelled with my husband and parents (my parents are seasoned cruisers, we have been on one previous terrible cruise!).

As UK based, we parked at Harwich with little problem (having booked over the phone in advance and received our passes in the post). Luggage was taken directly from the car and delivered later in the day to our cabin. We had lots of luggage, but this was not an issue! Transfer from the car park to the terminal took less than 5 minutes on a bus, easy peasy!!

As M&D are C&A members they were able to join a short queue, kindly the lady let us join them too, which meant that we got our sea passes in less than 15 minutes, got our photo taken and headed on board.

Our first stop was the Centrum to book our drinks packages M&D got the premium and we got the royal replenish. We then headed to the solarium, to get into our swimsuits and take a dip (no chaos of the Windjammer for us!!). There were few people in there, and within a short while the Park Cafe (with the amazing roast beef sandwiches and cookies!) was open. Our first drink was easily obtained from the pool bar, which was again pretty quiet.

Even though we had been told that our luggage would take a while to arrive at our cabin, it was actually there at around 14:00 (when we went to take a sneak peak!).

Our cabin #8506 (large ocean view at the front of the ship) was fantastic, whilst there was no balcony, the additional space was welcomed. If we were going around the med or Carribean the lack of a balcony might be a problem, but on this cruise the extra space was perfect. We had a queen bed (with heaps of storage under for luggage), kettle with tea, coffee and milk, minibar (not used) big wardrobe, great bathroom (shower no bath) and lots of storage (including some hidden behind mirrors - genius!).

Our cabin attendant, Mauree, was truly exceptional, always friendly and welcoming, and very funny. Nothing was too much trouble. He even sourced us a couple of robes. Our cabin was always clean (which meant we kept it tidy!) and we often had towel animals (It's only our second cruise, so this was very exciting for us!). He even laid out my PJ's every night!

The ship itself was very impressive and much bigger than the one we previous travelled on. It was well maintained and had lots of sun beds around, although those next to the pool and in the solarium were limited (understandably so). The bars were great and we never had long to wait. Our favourite was the Colony Club and Schooner Bar, although I discovered the Raspberry Rush on the last day at the R Bar, which was to die for!

I'll talk about the food, drink and entertainment next and the the ports of call.

Hope this is of interest

Sarah

X

So, I have to say we were really impressed with the food on board.

Primarily we ate in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch and the MDR for dinner. We did try MDR for breakfast one day, but it took a lot longer to be served, and was much more formal with a smaller selection. This didn't really suit us for the mornings, especially when we had some early starts!

The Windjammer always looked busy, but it was never a problem to find four seats together (larger parties mig have to wait a while longer). There are always lots of options at breakfast and lunch, but having to pick up a new plate each time takes a bit of getting used to. We never had a problem with people pushing in line because it didn't seem to work like that.

There is a bar, and waiters do float around to get drinks for guests too. However there is always a variety of 'free' drinks.

The Park Cafe was also great for lunch, the roast beef sandwiches were yumptious as were the salads. Crisps, cookies, cakes and fruits were also available.

The MDR for dinner was a dream. Renante and Francisco were our waiters and were fabulous, giving great recommendations and reminding us of the following as arrangements. Our table #467was by a window to the right of the main door. Perfectly located with fantastic company (two lovely couples from America). We were on second sitting (20:30).

Each night there was a core menu, with a daily pie, and then a rotating menu to suite the daily theme. I never had a problem finding something to eat, and even had a couple of starters or mains at times. Escargot were something that I had never tried before, so gave it a go after building myself up to it (the last meal!!) I know many people love them, but hey aren't for me!!! Glad to try it though!! One evening we had a small problem with a desert, but this was quickly and effortlessly rectified - it's never about the initial problem but how it is resolved that counts - I have to say that their customer service was spectacular.

The steaks were always well cooked to my liking, and nothing was too much trouble. Each night my decaf tea was brought to finish my meal before I even asked - small things like that really make a holiday special. I highly recommend the lamb which was always tender and fell off the bone.

The head waiter always popped over to our table to ask how things were going and offering information for the following day.

A couple of evenings we headed to Windjammer as we were shattered so wanted to get to bed early the food was good, but it lacked the ceremony of the MDR.

In terms of drinks, we had a wine package for dinner (a good selection of wines available). Unfortunately the merlot wasn't available, but Francisco found a superb alternative.

With the RR we never had issues getting drinks or waiting too long. The selection was great. The pineapple Blast, Bora Bora Brew and frozen cocktails were highlight. However the Raspberry Rush as the r Bar was something else (and we only discovered it on the last day!!).

We had one issue with one barman at the pool bar. He had a bad attitude and was rude. Unfortunately he stood out for all the wrong reasons and was definitely a bad exception. We took his name and have identified him in the post cruise survey. Wasn't worth doing anything at the time.

The entertainment was also outstanding. Highlights were The Magnets, The Zoots, Tucker, Zac Coombes and The acoustic guitarist (who's name I forgot). We saw a couple of the crew productions which were also great, and the aerial centrum shows which were unexpected! Dru Pavolv was an awesome cruise director, friendly, funny and always willing to chat. He put together a great programme.

The downside was the disco. The music was very much Latin focused (maybe because of the Brazilian and Argentinian contingent on board??), this wasn't our scene which was a shame because some good dance music would have got a lot of people up (which it did when it was occasionally played). Even when advertised in the compass, the music was the same. I actually began to wonder whether the DJ was just someone's iPod!!

Conversely, the ship did show all the World Cup football matches (yawn) in the pub, on the outside screen at the pool, and also in the disco. I hate football, but the atmosphere was great and it got people chatting!!

We didn't go to the Russian folk dance as it was on way too late on day 1 in St Petersburg (22:30 start when we had to be on the bus at 07:00 the following. Morning!). However did to go two Liar Liar shows which were very, very funny (and not for kids).

So a polite notice to adults with children. Please do not let you kids run riot in the theatre, not only is this rude to the performers, but it also spoils the ret of the audiences enjoyment. The group of 5-6 South American kids running around at each show was unbelievable, especially as the parents did nothing to stop this.

Phew, that was a long one! Off for a ret and will post more tomorrow!

S

X

Thank you, thank you for taking the time to post. We will be doing this cruise in just 18 days. I was really hoping to read some reviews before we get there.

I noticed you had the Royal Replenish package. What drinks were included? You mentioned many drinks in you last post, were they all included? Where were you able to get specialty coffees?

Edited by Kevin's girl

Thank you' date=' thank you for taking the time to post. We will be doing this cruise in just 18 days. I was really hoping to read some reviews before we get there.

I noticed you had the Royal Replenish package. What drinks were included? You mentioned many drinks in you last post, were they all included? Where were you able to get specialty coffees?[/quote']

Hi Kevin's girl, and no worries, we also found limited recent reviews of BotS so I hope this is of help!! In terms of RR all the drinks I describe were included including freshly squeezed orange juice at breakie! The non alcoholic drinks were fab and I never felt left out that we weren't drinking. The bar menu in the Colony Club explains many of the non-alcoholic drinks, but many frozen cocktails can be made virgin (except the blue Hawaiian!!!), the R bar appears to have a few additional options too. Don't forget that red bull comes in sugar free, but that isn't available in the pacific theatre (for the yummy pineapple blast!)

We only ever got speciality coffees from latitudes, but I think with the RR you could also get in the MDR and possible windjammer. The coffee is Illy and not Seattle's best or Starbucks so be prepared for not Chai... I nearly cried :(

You will have an amazing time

Xx

Edited by Mouikey

Over the next few posts I shall talk about the stops, I know there are other locations in the forum for his, but really I want to include it here as it's part of my trip review :)

Day 1 - at sea, great day to get to know the ship, play some trivia (which is fun) and relax on deck. I think it was Canada day, and we also had the CC meet in the pub which was fab (hosted by the lovely Dru). Met some really lovely people.

Day 2 - Copenhagen

The ship stopped within a 20 minute walk of the city. It was a flat walk, but shuttle buses and HoHo were available adjacent to the ship. Our walk took us via the Little mermaid, which was rather crowded, but there was sufficient space to take photos.

We found a map from tourist information and headed to the canal boat tour, which was amazing. I'm an urban designer so the historic and modern developments were fascinating to me. The architecture (of all ages) outstanding and the public spaces spotless. I loved the public art dotted around the city. These boat tours are a great way to see the the city quickly.

I had done some research in advance, and as an avid Vikings fan thought that the trip to the national museum would be worth while as they have a huge viking exhibition... Normally! So, the actual exhibition is on tour and had literally been located about 1 hour from our house for the past few months, so only two rooms remained in Copenhagen. But this didn't put us off and we saw the pre viking helmets and lots of super exhibits it was also free!

We didn't do much else, but walking round was fantastic and gave a really good understanding of the city. It was overcast and we had a tiny amount of drizzle, but this didn't put us off. I would definitely return and head down to Roskilde to the viking boat museum.

Day 3 - at sea, 4 July so some celebrations, but not overt if you didn't want to get involved.

To be continued...

Not wanting bobwhite a complete review so pardon me for hiring in with a few brief comments since our party of six were also on the same cruise. We especially enjoyed The Zoots and the friendliness of staff and especially our head Waitress Elizabeth and Assistant Waiter Ivan (Evon).

My favorite stop was Visby, Sweden followed closely by Tallin, Estonia. Both of these medieval cities were beautiful. My least favorite port by far was Copenhagen. We had lots of trouble with the hop on hop off buses that didn't really drop us off close enough to attractions. The buses just seemed to drive around and around without telling us even what stop number we were on. In fact several times we would pull up to a stop and be ushered off the bus onto another bus. This would not have been an issue except one time, before the bus even started to drive toward the next stop we were again asked to disembark and reload onto the same bus we had just vacated while the bus drivers got into an argument. In my opinion the bus stops were not very convenient to attractions and were not worth the expense. Waits between stops sometimes exceeded 30 minutes. (Harbor tour was excellent; however.) Looking back on it we should have taken a ship sponsored tour in Copenhagen.

The Hermitage in St. Petersburg is beyond compare, but it was so crowded I felt like I missed most of it. Even with the crowds the two day ship sponsored tour was definitely worth the money.

At all the other ports we did our own walking tour and enjoyed them immensely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all your comments :). I shall continue!!

Day 4 - Tallinn

I was so excited about going back to Tallinn, I had visited many years ago in the depths of winter and it was magical. My hubby was the only one of our party not to have previously been, so I was excited to show him round.

The ship docked about 10-15 minute walk from the Old Town, in very thick sea fog.. It was very eerie and cold!! I think there we shuttle buses available, and I know there was at least one HoHo, but we didn't think it worth it as it's a very walkable (if steep) city.

When we got into town, the weather was completely different, really hot! Also it was the weekend of the singing festival so as well as the other ships in port, the city was heaving. Our group separated and I went around the Kiek in de kok, be warns there are two connected museums, the main Kiek, and the maiden tower. Personally I wouldn't pay to go I to the refurbished maiden tower (with the very limited glass exhibition), take advantage of the adjacent coffee shop and head up there. The Kiek in de kok was fantastic though and had some interesting exhibits and some steep stone spiral staircases! We also walked around the town and then headed to a more modern shopping centre for coffee and wifi.

Whilst I continue to love Tallinn, it was so busy, to me it was uncomfortable. Next time I'd definitely go back in the winter (mulled wine and chocolate cake!) and also use some of their fabulous spas in Pirita. However, I think this was a very unusual weekend, so don't let my comments out you off!

Day 5 - st Petersburg (day 1)

So the published highlight of he trip is a two day stop in St Petersburg. My group had all booked onto the RCL 2 day tour, so had to be up bright and early (after a time change)! We chose to go on separate tours so we could chat about our experiences at the end of the day!

We had been warned about immigration, so we weren't surprised to find that it took an age! As the last out of the theatre and through immigration (do learn a hello and thank you, it does go a long way!) we were on the last tour bus. This shortened our tour day, but as there were only 14 of us, made our group much more manageable so we could get round quickly.

I won't go into all the details as I don't want to spoil the enjoyment if this is something you are going to do, however here is an overview...

First stop Peterhov summer palace - beautiful and steeped in history. Our guide Irina was amazing and knew everything! Amazing gardens. However it was very very busy, and in the heat made it somewhat uncomfortable.

Lunch stop was fun, although as we were on a table for 2 felt a little left out. Had the obligatory vodka!

Afternoon at the Hermitage. Again a stunning winter palace, but desperately overcrowded. We were shown key pieces of art but would have preferred to have looked on our own and meet up with the guide later, we weren't given this option although others were. The Di Vinci's were ridiculous and it as like a rugby scrum, as a Brit I do like a good queue but learnt swiftly that it was not the tourist way. Unfortunately we didn't see the Picasso's.

We went to the windjammer that night for dinner as we were shattered and had to get up early the following morning.

Day 6 - St Petersburg (day 2)

We had to be at our coach (other side of immigration) by 7am - eeekkkkk, so we had a very quick breakie and headed out. All our group were there so we headed off early. Our tour guide did an amazing thing and dropped us at the church of the spilt blood for photos. No one else what's there so we got some great shots. We then headed to our first 'formal' stop Pushkin - another beautiful (and restored) summer palace. We also drove by President Putin's palace (although obviously no stop!!). Pushkin is where you would find the amber room which is pretty stunning.

Lunch was at a genitive style restaurant and was lovely (more vodka). We then went on a bit of a tour of the city, stopping at St Peter And St Paul's church and finally a shopping stop - this was a smallish single souvenir shop which was reasonably I priced. We found an Addidas around the corner, and as my hubby was trying to get local footie shirts, we made a dash for it and pick up a Russian shirt.

More to come...

Here comes more. Hope I'm not boring you!!

Day 7 - Helsinki

Now the ship docked a little way out of town, and it was clear that the walk might be a bit too much given the previous few days. We were going to get the shuttle bus (adjacent to the ship) but found that two HoHO operated just the other side of the market hall (2 minute walk) so better all round for cost as we were going to do it anyway! We did a complete tour before getting off at the rock church, Olympic stadium and sculpture park.

The weather was glorious and Helsinki was a complete surprise for me, I loved it, so forward thinking, so clean and so friendly. I loved buying my Moomin bits, stopping at the Hard Rock Cafe for lunch (totally tourist!!) and walking through the amazing market near the harbour. I will definitely be visiting again, I loved it!

Day 8 - Stockholm

Getting off the ship we had a choice of following g different coloured lines - left to the HoHo boat, right to the bus. We chose right and did the bus circuit of the city first. It was beautiful, but much larger than Helsinki. There was so much to see that it was overwhelming. We got off the bus and jumped on the boat. Beware, there are two boat trips the standard and the canals... We got the standard and wasn't able to upgrade to the canals (for a variety of stupid reasons). So pick carefully!

We se parented from my parents to go to see a viking exhibition... This was our second attempt, and this time the national museum was closed for refurbishment!! So we were out of luck. We avoided the Vasa museum as it looked packed, but had we the time, would have headed to the Nordic museum which probably had viking artefacts. But we did achieve my ambition of having meatballs in Sweden - at the Opera House. These were amazing, I have no idea how expensive they were, but hands down were the best I have ever tasted!!

I liked Stockholm, and could easily spend much more time there. If you want to head to a museum, plan your day well. Others suggest that the ABBA museum wasn't as good as they had hoped for.

Day 9 - Visby (tender)

Before we could head to Visby, we had to go through immigration on board, it was a weird set up, but took very little time and there was no delays. Very well organised. At this time we were also allocated a tender number. It gave us enough time to get breakie before heading over.

The tender was a short (10 minutes or so) trip into the harbour. Once there we popped into a land train (€8 each from memory) which gave us a trip around the outside of the city wall and had an English commentary. We then walked through the town, it's small winding streets and medieval architecture was beautiful. We stopped for a coffee then explored some more. A highlight was the ruins with the modern sculptures - free to visit.

We also found the craft market and I purchased a viking necklace (not original obviously!!), the original (as it turns out) was in the Gotland museum just around the corner... Along with an amazing array of viking bits and bobs - yay we finally found some!! The museum was amazing, so if you have time take a look (there is a charge).

We headed back early so that we didn't have to queue in the heat (although the ship had sent cold drinks for any wait).

Day 10 - at sea, lazing around the pool getting sunburnt and watching football (yawn). Mum win the haircut so was very pampered!

Day 11. At sea - trip to the spa for my nails (great job). Some music trivia and quizzes. Lovely lazy day. That evening the sea mist rolled in, again very eerie, but almost put the cruise into a dream like state because when we woke up....

... We were in grey, drizzly Harwich and had to get off :(

Hopefully my final post (unless there are questions!!), so here are a few handy hints and tips...

Firstly, I read a whole heap here on CC and got some amazing advice. Most of it very useful. I did purchase one of those shoe holder things, but never used it as storage was not a problem. Pegs were helpful for the shower curtain and hanging wet swimsuits.

We used the pool only twice and my hair went like straw so bring good conditioner. I also got a sore throat and hubby the sniffles, so again we avoided.

A two in one shampoo dispenser is provided in the room along with two bars of soap. We used our own toiletries which is great because I still smell of holiday when I shower!!

Take a trip to the helipad, very quiet and you can do the tacky titanic pose (yes we did!!), it's closed at night though.

There is an outside area to the rear of the windjammer it's lovely and there weren't many people out there when we ate there.

Try something new at dinner, I tried escargot, I didn't like them but at least I tried!!

Don't feel that you have to go to each and every show... Be led by what you want to do, not what you feel you should do.

If you have children, please keep them supervised in the theatre.

I sent flowers to my Mum via a Harwich florist (rather than via RCL) they were delivered on time with no issue.

Pack layers, we expected it to be overcast and cold, but it was baking hot.

The casino was always smokey, I understand why, but it wasn't pleasant.

3, yes 3 formal nights... Day 2, Helsinki and day 10. People do dress for these, but you don't have to go super formal.

Whilst the. On-alcoholic cocktails are yummy, they are full of sugar!!

Book your excursions early. We wanted to go on the viking on in Visby but they only ran one coach so we couldn't go.

If they don't have the wine type you want, ask if they have a similar (eg merlot).

The walls can be thin, we packed earplugs which were useful! Although e black out curtains were amazing!

Do get off in Visby, even if your super tired!

Be extra nice to the Russian immigration, we think a few people were refused enters (but have no idea why)

Don't let others behaviour upset you. There was a fight (yes with fists!) at lunch in the solarium on the last day... It was funny, but not for the people involved - I assume over a sun lounger! Seriously, everyone's on holiday and wants to enjoy it. Let petty things go. We assume both parties (elderly gentlemen in their 70's) were confined to quarters (they were escorted away by security).

Most of all enjoy yourself.

For those going on Brilliance in the near future you should love it. Send my love to Mauree, Renante and Fransisco if you see them.

S

X

Do you remember which days had the unlimited laundry in a bag special?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No idea about this, we're not C&A members so didn't get those 'specials' although my parents did. There may be some laundry specials, but as were are based in UK we took far more luggage than needed - so had no need for the laundry!!

Thank you for your postings. We will be doing this trip in 4 weeks and your postings are very helpful. We are booked with Alla in St. Petersburg and in Stockholm. On our own elsewhere, except for a ship tour in Copenhagen. Can't wait to leave.

Thank you for your postings. We will be doing this trip in 4 weeks and your postings are very helpful. We are booked with Alla in St. Petersburg and in Stockholm. On our own elsewhere, except for a ship tour in Copenhagen. Can't wait to leave.

If you have any opportunity to visit a metro station in St Petersburg, I would strongly suggest doing it. One thing we didn't get to do :(

If you have any opportunity to visit a metro station in St Petersburg, I would strongly suggest doing it. One thing we didn't get to do :(

Alla included a brief ride on the metro in St. Petersburg as part of our tour and it was a great component of a remarkable two-day tour. We had wonderful guides in each city on our itinerary and I strongly recommend Alla.

Edited by negc

We were in this same cruise and I was going to do a review, but OP did a great job!

Our thoughts: we have sailed the BOS several times over many years and honestly, it looks great! I was amazed. A few parts of our GS cabin were showing signs of wear and frankly the silk plants in the solarium are super tired looking, but otherwise the ship is as lovely as ever.

Chefs table... Great wine, fun time, pretty good food (stuffed chicken, a new menu, was a let down as an entree though)

Chops was old menu and excellent

Giovanni's not as good as on ALLURE but ok.

MDR, we did not think the food was very good, unlike OP. Our wait staff was great, as were our table mates. But, the food was average at best and very uninspired. The appetizers were not great and I ended up eating limp shrimp cocktail most nights. A big disappointment was the absence of ALL salads except the standard Caesar which I don't eat. No other salad options like in the past. The main courses were overcooked and not great. Also, gone are all special events, music, etc.... Desserts were probably the worst course. Now, please note we have cruised a lot and this reduction in the quality of the MDR seems to be part of the cost cuts. Also, we have been on Celebrity a lot lately, and their food is SUBSTANTIALLY better than RCI.

Our cabin was a GS under the Park Cafe and I posted separately... Terribly loud! Awful choice so avoid. Cabin nice and attendant Rosen great! But the noise from above lasted 20 hours per day due to Park Cafe

Service overall exceptional...anis the concierge Anis was great. Love the CL! Really enjoyed it and meeting new friends for drinks!

Ports were covered well by OP. Our weather was outstanding and the highlights for us were Tallinn and St. Pete. We used private guides everywhere and loved TJ and Paolo in Helsinki.

Great cruise overall except loud cabin and mediocre MDR food. But, we loved the ship, service, entertainment and itinerary. Really had fun!