Flight arrival/departure EWR for Cape Liberty

We are sailing on Explorer in October. Silly me, I booked arrival flights (ATL-EWR) based on what I'm used to for Florida homeports. Explorer sets sail at 4:00pm and RCI recommends arrivals no later than noon. Our flight gets in at 12:14 (direct flight from ATL). For departure, they're suggesting no earlier than 2:00pm. (Ship docks at 8:00am)Our flight is at 1:00. We usually do express disembarkation (carry off our own stuff). We'll be using taxis to get from EWR to the port and back.

If you have first-hand experience - are we going to be ok or should we change flights? We fly in on a Thursday and out on a Saturday...if that is a factor in your advice. Thanks in advance for helping!

I would be comfortable with a departing flight at 1pm.

However, you have very little margin for delay on the arriving flight. To minimize my personal stress level, I'd fly the day before the cruise. If that's not possible, I'd try to get an earlier flight out of ATL, first flight of the day, or at least one that was early enough so if it was cancelled you would have a couple of other options that would get you to the ship in time.

I would be comfortable with a departing flight at 1pm.

However, you have very little margin for delay on the arriving flight. To minimize my personal stress level, I'd fly the day before the cruise. If that's not possible, I'd try to get an earlier flight out of ATL, first flight of the day, or at least one that was early enough so if it was cancelled you would have a couple of other options that would get you to the ship in time.

Thanks Bob. I know what you mean about the 12:15 arrival. Even a small delay leaving ATL would cause stress and possible missing the ship. There are two earlier flights so I'll see how steep it is for Delta to change.

• 3 weeks later...

Will be sailing on Summit out of Cape Liberty on Sunday, September 21 and will fly in the day before. Not doing anything pre-cruise and don't know where we'll get a hotel for the one night but something close to the port. Do you recommend flying into EWR or LGA for ease and less cost between airport/hotel/port?

We disembark on Sunday, October 5th and have the option to fly out of EWR at 12:25 PM or out of LGA at 11:30 AM. Again, for ease/lower cost of getting from the port to the airport, would you suggest one over the other? And do you think we'd be fine making either one of those flights? (If not, we have to wait until flights at 3:30 PM or after.)

Thanks!

Will be sailing on Summit out of Cape Liberty on Sunday, September 21 and will fly in the day before. Not doing anything pre-cruise and don't know where we'll get a hotel for the one night but something close to the port. Do you recommend flying into EWR or LGA for ease and less cost between airport/hotel/port?

We disembark on Sunday, October 5th and have the option to fly out of EWR at 12:25 PM or out of LGA at 11:30 AM. Again, for ease/lower cost of getting from the port to the airport, would you suggest one over the other? And do you think we'd be fine making either one of those flights? (If not, we have to wait until flights at 3:30 PM or after.)

Thanks!

Definitely fly in and out of Newark. You will pay almost twice the price to go between Cape Liberty and LaGuardia as you will pay from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport. A typical cab or car service between Newark and Cape Liberty will be $50-60. Return shuttle to the airport is $16/pp.

The closest hotels to the port are at the airport with free shuttles and in Jersey City which requires a car service or cab.

Look at lastminute travel.com The least expensive hotel on their list for 9/20 that we recommend is the Ramada Plaza for about $103 incl tax. The next would be be the Doubletree for about $115 incl tax, and the next would be Country Inns at about $137 Incl tax. Both the Ramada and Doubletree are full service hotels. Country Inns offers free breakfast and is next to Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, and the Jersey Gardens Mall, which has an Applebee's, a food court, and movies. If you call Country Inns, you may be able to arrange port transportation rt for $35/person.

You can also book a park/sleep on Trinityreservations.com for the Ramada Plaza for 9/20 for $197 tax incl which includes round trip port transportation for up to 4 people. I know, you don't have a car but that doesn't matter - it's a good deal anyway.

Newark flight time is fine.

Edited by 138east