Cancellation vs. No-show question

rpmljm

We have just booked a cruise that leaves in 2 weeks. We were wondering if something happens between now and then that prevents my DH from going, can I just go by myself or invite someone else at no extra charge? He has an elderly frail mother who could easily become ill and he runs a business with his brother. If something would happen that his brother cannot work, my DH would have to stay home. I know there is travel insurance, but the price for "cancelling for any reason" is costly and hard to understand what acceptable reasons would be. Thanks for advise.

Laurie

You can change to another travel companion for $50. I you go alone, just have DH be a no-show.

Thanks...would I do that by phone ahead of time, or at the port at check-in?

Thanks...would I do that by phone ahead of time, or at the port at check-in?

If you go alone, just let DH be a no-show at check-in. If you were to notify Carnival in advance of check-in, they will keep his fare and charge you 1x your fare again for the single supplement. Since you have just booked, then you can't be booked under early saver fare which does not allow for name changes on the reservation, so you should be able to pay the $50 change fee if you were to decide to take someone else instead.

Have a great cruise!

We have just booked a cruise that leaves in 2 weeks. We were wondering if something happens between now and then that prevents my DH from going, can I just go by myself or invite someone else at no extra charge? He has an elderly frail mother who could easily become ill and he runs a business with his brother. If something would happen that his brother cannot work, my DH would have to stay home. I know there is travel insurance, but the price for "cancelling for any reason" is costly and hard to understand what acceptable reasons would be. Thanks for advise.

Laurie

Cancel for any reason insurance isn't that confusing. The policy I buy costs 50% more than their regular policy. We get 75% cash back if we cancel at least 2 days before our trip start date for any reason not covered by the regular terms. You must buy this insurance within a set number of days after your first trip expenditure and you have to insure all non refundable prepaid expenses.

It sounds like that would be good for you because of his work situation.

However, if he cancels for "any" reason, you will not have the single supplement reimbursed if you still go. (Most policies cover that if one person cancels for a reason covered under their standard terms.)

As far as what are acceptable reasons --- that's the easiest part! You don't even have to give a reason when you file a claim. Your reason can be anything --- from my dog is sick, to it might rain all week, to I just don't feel like going anymore. Of course, since you'll be out money too (25% with the policy I buy), so most people won't cancel for frivolous reasons.

I hope you can both go!

Cancel for any reason insurance isn't that confusing. The policy I buy costs 50% more than their regular policy. We get 75% cash back if we cancel at least 2 days before our trip start date for any reason not covered by the regular terms. You must buy this insurance within a set number of days after your first trip expenditure and you have to insure all non refundable prepaid expenses.

It sounds like that would be good for you because of his work situation.

However, if he cancels for "any" reason, you will not have the single supplement reimbursed if you still go. (Most policies cover that if one person cancels for a reason covered under their standard terms.)

As far as what are acceptable reasons --- that's the easiest part! You don't even have to give a reason when you file a claim. Your reason can be anything --- from my dog is sick, to it might rain all week, to I just don't feel like going anymore. Of course, since you'll be out money too (25% with the policy I buy), so most people won't cancel for frivolous reasons.

I hope you can both go!

Thanks for the info. What brand insurance you you get? The only problem I can see though, is that something could happen the day before, and then you wouldn't be covered, right?

Thanks for the info. What brand insurance you you get? The only problem I can see though, is that something could happen the day before, and then you wouldn't be covered, right?

We've used TravelSafe. And yes, if something happens the day before your trip, the cancel for any reason coverage no longer applies. But the regular coverages are still in effect.

I'm not sure that you need cancel for any reason coverage for your situation, if the concern is your husband's mother's health.

Below are a couple sections from a trip we took last year. This was a policy that did have CFAR coverage (75%) as well, and the price for 18 days with an insured value of $2500 per adult was $125 each (5%). The kids (who had lower insured values as 3rd/4th people) were $42 each. A lower-end policy without CFAR was surely cheaper but I don't have any comparison quotes anymore.

Also note that if you both have coverage his policy would cover his cancellation and yours would cover the single supplement if you did decide to sail alone (or refund yours if you wanted to cancel as well).

From the policy of the last insured trip I took:

<under the valid trip cancellation reasons>

A covered Sickness or Injury involving You, Your

Traveling Companion or Business Partner, or Your

Family Member which necessitates Medical Treatment at

the time of cancellation and results in medically imposed

restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician,

which prevents Your participation in the Covered Trip;

<under definitions>

“Family Member” means Your or a Traveling Companion’s:

legal spouse or common-law spouse where legal; legal

guardian; son or daughter (adopted, foster or step); sonin-

law; daughter-in-law; grandmother; grandmother-in-law;

grandfather; grandfather-in-law; grandchild; aunt; uncle;

niece; or nephew; brother, step-brother; sister; step-sister;

brother-in-law; sister-in-law; mother; father; step-parent.

Edited by John1928

I'm not sure that you need cancel for any reason coverage for your situation, if the concern is your husband's mother's health.

Below are a couple sections from a trip we took last year. This was a policy that did have CFAR coverage (75%) as well, and the price for 18 days with an insured value of $2500 per adult was $125 each (5%). The kids (who had lower insured values as 3rd/4th people) were $42 each. A lower-end policy without CFAR was surely cheaper but I don't have any comparison quotes anymore.

Also note that if you both have coverage his policy would cover his cancellation and yours would cover the single supplement if you did decide to sail alone (or refund yours if you wanted to cancel as well).

From the policy of the last insured trip I took:

<under the valid trip cancellation reasons>

A covered Sickness or Injury involving You, Your

Traveling Companion or Business Partner, or Your

Family Member which necessitates Medical Treatment at

the time of cancellation and results in medically imposed

restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician,

which prevents Your participation in the Covered Trip;

<under definitions>

“Family Member” means Your or a Traveling Companion’s:

legal spouse or common-law spouse where legal; legal

guardian; son or daughter (adopted, foster or step); sonin-

law; daughter-in-law; grandmother; grandmother-in-law;

grandfather; grandfather-in-law; grandchild; aunt; uncle;

niece; or nephew; brother, step-brother; sister; step-sister;

brother-in-law; sister-in-law; mother; father; step-parent.

Thank you so much John1928. Perhaps that's all we would need the way that policy is worded. Do you mind my asking which company you used? Thanks again for all your help

Laurie

If you go alone, just let DH be a no-show at check-in. If you were to notify Carnival in advance of check-in, they will keep his fare and charge you 1x your fare again for the single supplement. Since you have just booked, then you can't be booked under early saver fare which does not allow for name changes on the reservation, so you should be able to pay the $50 change fee if you were to decide to take someone else instead.

Have a great cruise!

If cancelling the second person, Carnival does charge a fee, but does not charge an extra fare. A fairy tail that will not go away

That's why most recommend just showing up alone, to avoid the $50 fee

If cancelling the second person, Carnival does charge a fee, but does not charge an extra fare. A fairy tail that will not go away

That's why most recommend just showing up alone, to avoid the $50 fee

And do not cancel him at the check in desk either. Just say "he took a different way here and he'll be here at some point in time", check yourself in and just have him "miss the boat" if needed.

And do not cancel him at the check in desk either. Just say "he took a different way here and he'll be here at some point in time", check yourself in and just have him "miss the boat" if needed.

What would happen if you got to the pier and you did cancel him?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Thank you so much John1928. Perhaps that's all we would need the way that policy is worded. Do you mind my asking which company you used? Thanks again for all your help

Laurie

The underwriter was United States Fire Insurance Company but the policy was sold by an online trip insurance comparison company. I believe CC is one of the boards that's a bit touchy about links to 3rd party websites that may compete with sponsors, but if you look for any well reviewed company I suspect you'll find contracts with similar language (be sure to read the fine print as it were before buying).