Advice Needec - Cruise Booked & Pending Conviction

Coastal5

Hi all,

I'm really stressed out and looking for advice. I have an upcoming cruise to Australia and NZ in November, but I'm also stopping in USA, Singapore and Dubai.

I got my visa for Aus and USA already as the other places say I don't need it with a British passport.

However, a couple of days ago I got pulled over for speeding and the officer couldn't serve me a fixed noticed as I was doing 52mph in a 30mph and instead I have to be summons to court. To make matters worse, my two rear tyres were below regulation so I have also been cautioned for two defective tyres as well. No paperwork was given to me at the roadside, instead I was told to wait for the summons. I am obviously ashamed and embarrassed and have never been in trouble before (no prior penalty points or convictions).

Will I need to declare this to the countries I'm travelling to? I guess I don't have to at the moment because I haven't been summons yet but there is no way I'm not going to get convicted of at least an SP30 (speeding) and two CU30 (defective tyres) - so post conviction will I have to declare them?

Please help from a very worried Cruiser.

Edited by Coastal5
typo

You should consult a solicitor about this. It would depend on whether a conviction has to be declared in those countries and their immigration laws.

At the very least, you will need to visit the official immigration web sites of each country on the itinerary. Some countries don't consider traffic infractions a felony but others do.

How would they know you had a conviction? Some countries have treaties and agreements to share information with the UK.

You need expert legal advice.

Hi all,

I'm really stressed out and looking for advice. I have an upcoming cruise to Australia and NZ in November, but I'm also stopping in USA, Singapore and Dubai.

I got my visa for Aus and USA already as the other places say I don't need it with a British passport.

However, a couple of days ago I got pulled over for speeding and the officer couldn't serve me a fixed noticed as I was doing 52mph in a 30mph and instead I have to be summons to court. To make matters worse, my two rear tyres were below regulation so I have also been cautioned for two defective tyres as well. No paperwork was given to me at the roadside, instead I was told to wait for the summons. I am obviously ashamed and embarrassed and have never been in trouble before (no prior penalty points or convictions).

Will I need to declare this to the countries I'm travelling to? I guess I don't have to at the moment because I haven't been summons yet but there is no way I'm not going to get convicted of at least an SP30 (speeding) and two CU30 (defective tyres) - so post conviction will I have to declare them?

Please help from a very worried Cruiser.

The countries are interested in criminal convictions which this would not fall under and with the criminal convictions are mostly only interested if it meant time served

This will be a fine only

As under road traffic act not criminal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got 2 speeding tickets within 2 hours :eek: and it's never kept me out of any country. Now, this was over 20 years ago, and I haven't had any since, although I'd probably had at least 4 speeding tickets before then. So, although I offer no legal advise, I don't see how this could be a problem. :)

Australia isn't concerned over traffic offenses, only criminal convictions. If you had robbed a bank and were awaiting trial it would be a different matter :) I don't know about the other countries though.

Agree with BlueRiband, contact a solicitor.

When it comes to issues of consequence, consult someone who specializes in the subject.

i.e. - You wouldn't ask your banker for charcuterie advice, would you?

Then, don't rely on opinions of anonymous people on an Internet forum.

It is unlikely for traffic violations to result in criminal "convictions". DUI excepted, of course. I'm not certain whether a local solicitor would be sufficiently informed re: Australia, Dubai, Singapore, et al's views on traffic court rulings to give you definitive advice without doing a lot of expensive research - perhaps you could contact your consular service.