fabric stores

sprint180

My favorite was the Rushin' Tailor in Skagway. I actually bought enough fabric for an "Alaskan" memory quilt.

There is also a store called Changing Threads in Skagway

Juneau has Changing Tides and Rain Tree.

Ketchikan has a large store called Silver Thimble.

They all have websites to give you an idea of what they might be like.

They all had VERY unique fabric that you may find only in Alaska.

Until you want to just make a patchwork of misc. fabrics you might want to go with a pattern in mind so you know how much yardage you want to buy.

They all carry a wide variety of fat quarters and fat eighths. I didn't seen any jelly rolls or bali pops or other precuts.

My favorite is the one in Ketchikan. It is upstairs in Salmon Landing, very near the lumberjack show but closer to the piers. They have a whole extra store next to the main one that has patterns from Alaskan artists like Barbara Lavallee, and fabric that will remind you of Alaska. There is an elevator near the center of the store.

They all had VERY unique fabric that you may find only in Alaska.

As someone who is a quilter and also lives in Alaska, I've never seen fabric in one of our Alaskan quilt shops which was either printed in Alaska or was unique to our state. I really wish I could state that I've seen fabric unique to Alaska (i.e., I've seen fabric with moose motifs, but moose aren't unique to Alaska), but quite frankly I haven't.

As someone who is a quilter and also lives in Alaska, I've never seen fabric in one of our Alaskan quilt shops which was either printed in Alaska or was unique to our state. I really wish I could state that I've seen fabric unique to Alaska (i.e., I've seen fabric with moose motifs, but moose aren't unique to Alaska), but quite frankly I haven't.

Are there any Alaska fabric designer/artists whose fabric designs may be in the shops? (I'm familiar with Barbara Lavallee.)

Are there any Alaska fabric designer/artists whose fabric designs may be in the shops? (I'm familiar with Barbara Lavallee.)

Lisa Moore is from Sitka. She has designed many quilt patterns and, I believe, has designed some fabric. Her website is: http://quiltswithatwist.com/

My preference is for the quilt shop in Skagway, although I haven't been there for a few years. I believe the two shops in Skagway amalgamated into the one - Rushin' Tailor. While I like the set up of the shop in Ketchikan, I've not felt welcome there. That's based on a few visits there, the most recent being this past May.

OP, if you want to know about shops in other locations in Alaska, like ISP, Sitka, Anchorage, Homer & Kodiak, let me know and I can post some more websites.

Enjoy your cruise!

I can see your point but when I think of "unique to Alaska" fabric, I think of fabric with whales, eagles, aurora borealis, and moose. Sometimes they're all on the same piece of material which would be, IMO, unique to Alaska.

I know that Jon Von Zayle has fabric printed in his beautiful Alaskan only themes. You might find it at the Quilted Raven in Anchorage...on G st. between 5th and 6th....or at his store, the Arctic Rose on 5th.....I had a friend make me place mats from that fabric....and I have a lot of his artwork. He does the Iditarod poster every year and has a kennel of beautiful Siberians...

I know that Jon Von Zayle has fabric printed in his beautiful Alaskan only themes. You might find it at the Quilted Raven in Anchorage...on G st. between 5th and 6th....or at his store, the Arctic Rose on 5th.....I had a friend make me place mats from that fabric....and I have a lot of his artwork. He does the Iditarod poster every year and has a kennel of beautiful Siberians...

That's a dangerous shop. It may be just as well that ships rarely stop directly in Anchorage.:D

It's not in Alaska, but Seattle is often on the same itinerary:). There is a shop near Pikes Market that had a beautiful topographic map quilt of Mt. Rainier. I just did a Google search and I believe it is called "UnderCover Quilts". I am totally impressed with the "map quilts".

This shop is also near the Pike Brewing Co. so if you have any micro beer drinkers it is very convenient.

I wouldn't expect someone from Alaska to feel that their fabric was unique - but to us outsiders it WAS it's all so different and amazing it was very exciting. The OP is from Nebraska and I'm from So. Cal. Believe me you don't see much fabric around here with bears, northern lights, or Tlinglit symbols or patterns.

All in all still very fun to go to shops outside our area. And how lucky for you to live in Fairbanks!

A head's up. Raintree Quilting has moved in Juneau and is now off the beaten track from the tourist route. If you have a car, it's possible to go there.

As odd as it sounds, if you just want some 100% quilt fabric with Alaska patterns, the Ben Franklin shop in downtown Juneau has a good number of patterns. A serious quilter may roll her eyes, but if you just wanted some fabric for a fun project, it's easy to reach and not expensive.

I didn't ask because I thought the fabric would be unique as in Alaskan made. I don't really buy souvenirs. But I would like to make a quilt so I thought that could be my souvenir. The fabric I saw last year was much different then the fabric I can buy around here. Alaskan themes, nature etc.

Edited by sprint180

I haven't even GOT on the ship and ya'll are already making me spend my money... *shaking my head*

I'm tellin' ya, quilting is an addiction!

(Seriously, thank you for all the recommendations... my mother's Christmas package is going to be quite hefty!)

• 2 weeks later...