Fredericia Excursions

Thanks. I am thinking about Egeskov Castle but the only way to get there is to rent a car. SiXT has a car (I asked for a full size as I am tall) for about $150 USD. The only other way to get there is via a ships excursion which is $300 per person.

Is it logical to rent a car for the day (they would pick me up at the pier)? Approximately how long is the drive to the Castle?

• 4 months later...
2 hours for transportation and 2-3 hours inside and outside the castle.

+ time to collect and deliver your rental car.

Thanks for your reply. When you say 2-3 hours in and out of castle... Is this each castle or for the 2 ?

Thanks for your reply. When you say 2-3 hours in and out of castle... Is this each castle or for the 2 ?

abelthi, we'll on the Silhouette May 28 sailing and plan on renting a car in Fredericia, go to Egeskov castle in the morning and maybe visit the town ramparts in the afternoon. Would be interested to know your plans:)

abelthi, we'll on the Silhouette May 28 sailing and plan on renting a car in Fredericia, go to Egeskov castle in the morning and maybe visit the town ramparts in the afternoon. Would be interested to know your plans:)

Hi Prish,

We're on the May 16 sailing of the Silhouette... Our plans look exactly the same. Was hoping to be able to do Koldinghus as well, but from Danish_viking's info, might not be possible. Anyway... I always have a tendancy to make our plans too busy... we'll take it easy :D

Happy planning !

The castle also has a maze in the garden and other stuff located outside the castle itself.

I don´t think Koldinghus can be fitted in aswell, I wouldn´t do it.

http://www.egeskov.dk/en

Hi Prish,

We're on the May 16 sailing of the Silhouette... Our plans look exactly the same. Was hoping to be able to do Koldinghus as well, but from Danish_viking's info, might not be possible. Anyway... I always have a tendancy to make our plans too busy... we'll take it easy :D

Happy planning !

Thanks abelthi, I also generally try and fit in too much. But we'd have had 2 busy days in St Petes plus the long trek to Berlin and back, so am trying to keep Fredericia relatively easy. We overnight in Copenhagen the next day, again lots to see and do, but the Baltics itinerary is extremely port intensive. Happy travels:)

If you want to stay close to Fredericia then Koldinghus or Legoland would be my best guesses.

Fredericia is a charming town and is where I did my time in the army but its all done in 1 hour or 2.

Btw there is a new tourist attraction nearby, you can get a guided walking tour on top of the old Lillebælt bridge 60 meters up in the air.

The bridge is around 2 kilometers long.

Danish Viking, this bridge sounds interesting, how does one get there, any public transport from town or would we need a car? Do we need to book tickets in advance or can we just get them there on arrival? Would you have a link to this by any chance? Thanks in advance:)

The bridge walking starts in Middelfart (yes I know its funny) just across the water from Fredericia.

The website is brand new like the attraction but keep and eye on this website.

http://bridgewalking.dk/

Try to translate this website.

http://www.visitmiddelfart.dk/fyn/bridge-walking-brovandring

What can Ribe offer?

I have never been to that part of Denmark before, unless you count a cartrip from Esbjerg to buy some beer south of the border. :D

But we passed Ribe on the highway but from there it didn´t look that interesting.

I know about the small river and the cathedral and that they have a history with viking settlements but else I´m lost.

The bridge walking starts in Middelfart (yes I know its funny) just across the water from Fredericia.

The website is brand new like the attraction but keep and eye on this website.

http://bridgewalking.dk/

Try to translate this website.

http://www.visitmiddelfart.dk/fyn/bridge-walking-brovandring

Yes, funny name:) Thanks for the link, will put it to my group and let them decide what they want to do, the bridge sounds different from the what we'll be seeing/doing on this cruise.