Is it Harder to Get to Cococay in Hurrican Season?

lvz2cruz

We are considering the Enchantment in September. It stops in Cococay and Nassau and has a sea day. I am not a fan of sea days so would not be real happy if we missed Cococay and spent 2 of the 3 days at sea.

Is the likelihood good of making Cococay good at that time of year?

I know it varies, but in a typical September do they make it half the time, 80%, 25%, etc.

We could go to Miami to board Majesty with Key West instead of the sea day, but it is a bit further drive. We will be in Orlando prior.

Thanks!

We are considering the Enchantment in September. It stops in Cococay and Nassau and has a sea day. I am not a fan of sea days so would not be real happy if we missed Cococay and spent 2 of the 3 days at sea.

I know it varies, but in a typical September do they make it half the time, 80%, 25%, etc.

We could go to Miami to board Majesty with Key West instead of the sea day, but it is a bit further drive. We will be in Orlando prior.

Thanks!

There is a certain cruiser on this forum that is 0 for 4 as far as Coco Cay goes and its been all different times of the year Im pretty sure.

Im 1 for 2. Made it in May 2010. Missed it in April 2012. When we missed it, it was a 7 night Easten cruise on Freedom of the Seas. 5 total sea day/nights but I didnt mind it one bit.

I dont think there is any way to give a % as mother nature is just too unpredictable at all times of the year.

Ok, theres a 50/50% chance you will make it or not :D

Thanks!

I say you have an excellent chance of making CoCo Cay as long as there are no tropical systems around.

There's just no way to predict if there will be storms or where they will go. If it makes you feel better, we've gotten to Coco Cay 6 out of 7 times (all different months, including September of last year). I guess we've been pretty lucky. :)

We've been to CoCo Cay nineteen times since 2007. Have been there every month of the year except July. We must be lucky, only cancelled three times (two were sea days and one was an extra day in Nassau)...

We do not mind sea days. But given the choice between Key West or CoCo Cay. We would take CoCo Cay. Just love to get a lounge chair, sit in the shade of a palm tree read a good book while drinking coco locos then a nice BBQ Lunch before returning to the ship. Doesn't get much better than that.

The Enchantment 3 and 4 day cruises out of Port Canaveral are our favorite getaways. A half days drive and we are there.

We've sailed the Sovereign 3 times, Monarch 11 times and Enchantment 5 times to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral since 2007... We've visited Nassau 26 times and CoCo Cay 19 times.

We really enjoy the Enchantment, for a seventeen year old ship that sails with up to 4,800 passengers each week, we think She's great...

I've got to mention the New Years Eve Cruise on Enchantment...

We did this cruise December 30, 2013, New Years Eve in CoCO Cay and New Years Day in Nassau... We have it booked again in 2014...

The Enchantment knows how to Party on New Years Eve. Parties about the Ship for any taste, they had two combined bands in the Centrum doing Pop/Rock. They had a Latin band in Boleros, They had the Ship's Ochestra doing Big Band music in the Spotlight Lounge and a Pianist in the Schooner Bar. Every host/hostess started bringing out trays of complimentary Champaign about 11:45pm. There was a Buffet on the Pool Deck at 12:15am and if you were wondering what was happening in the Viking Crown Lounge, well, they started a Disco Party about 12:15AM (The First Party of 2014) that went, I'm Told, until 5AM... Reyno, the Concierge, had a party in his lounge too...

The Enchantment is just a FUN ship.

Dennis & Sue...

myticker.jpg

Enchantment really is a pretty ship and has larger cabins than Majesty. Also, Port Canaveral is so much easier than Miami. But Majesty's Compass Deli beats Enchantment's Sea View Cafe hands down. Loved those crepes! :)

I am no meteorologist but you should know that it does not take a tropical system to lessen your chances of missing any tender island...all it takes is a strong front or wind crossing the island that day to make the waters rough enough to not allow tendering. It can be 90 degrees and sunny but the waves can be strong due to fronts not allowing tendering...had this situation when trying to get to Grand Cayman where it was 90 degrees and sunny but the winds were strong enough to not make it safe to tender...just hope for the best like I will do when try to hit Coco...

Agree! As long as there are no tropical storms, there should not be a problem! :)

LuLu

We missed Coco Cay in May. Absolutely gorgeous day outside and not a storm around. As the captain was explaining the situation from the bridge, you could clearly see when they zoomed in with the camera the waves crashing against the shore. I believe it has as much to do with wind and making the tendering unsafe as it does whether or not storms are around.

The sad thing is, there were MANY people at Guest Services being rude to staff and demanding refunds :mad::rolleyes:

Enchantment really is a pretty ship and has larger cabins than Majesty. Also, Port Canaveral is so much easier than Miami. But Majesty's Compass Deli beats Enchantment's Sea View Cafe hands down. Loved those crepes! :)

No Sea View on Enchantment, just Park Cafe. I'll take Park Cafe.

No Sea View on Enchantment, just Park Cafe. I'll take Park Cafe.

Oops, I meant Park Cafe (Sea View is on Jewel). I think I'm the only one on these boards who did not care for Park Cafe. I loved Compass Deli though!

Edited by CruisinCrow

I loved your review of Majesty. The pictures of the crepes made me think the extra couple hours drive to Miami is worth it:):):)

I did the Monarch 4 day cruise her last three Septembers and made it to CocoCay every time!

I hope that is how it is if we book. We were scheduled there once in November and got close enough I wanted to jump in and swim but it was canceled.

I loved your review of Majesty. The pictures of the crepes made me think the extra couple hours drive to Miami is worth it:):):)

Thank you. I wished our cruise had been longer so I could have eaten more crepes. :) On the other hand, Enchantment has the bungee trampoline, which is really fun. You'll have a great time either way.

Edited by CruisinCrow

I was ultra paraonid when we were due to hit Grand Cayman and I learned to look at wind speeds closer to the date and if they were forecasted to be around 40 k/m per hour out of the East (I am a Canuck, lol) than you could be in trouble. Something like the Easterly winds shipping across the small islands that is the challenge which can be at anytime, especially when cold fronts come from the North (blaming us Canucks LOL).

No one can predict the weather at any given time of the year. We are at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Success rate at any of the private islands that require tendering is about 80%, so the odds are actually in your favor.

We were there about 4 years ago. We made it to the island and it was beautiful. However, due to the weather or something all the activities were cancelled. We didn't know this until after we were sitting in the briefing for the wave runners. The water was very rough and cloudy so snorkeling didn't work out well for us either. The up side, the food was delish and the bar drinks were cold an yummy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums