UDP--Limits?

kcwingwalker

Hi Robin

It's a 12 day (great prices) from NYC on 02/01/15 and a new for us itinerary. Ports are San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados. and St. Kitts.

Have always wanted to go Barbados and DD always has said that St. Lucia was named for her so it's a win win for us.

We booked a mini suite at $1299 per person.

Sheila

:)

Wow that's a great price may I ask when did you book?

Wow that's a great price may I ask when did you book?

About 10 days ago and now the same cabins are going for $1879 to $2199. But it's worth it to keep an eye on the price................it's all about supply and demand!

The UDP for that cruise is $194.00.

Booked the Gem recently to Canada out of NYC and DH wants to try out the UDP. We haven't been on a Jewel class ship, and since she has a bigger tempenyaki and a few more restaurants we are in the process of reserving restaurant nights. Any recommendations for which restaurant to go to for 1st night for lobster night and 2nd night (dress up)? Noticed Cagney's doesn't have a surf and turf. Would really like steak & lobster. Also noticed it said for 3 courses. Does that mean there is an additional charge for salad, soup, entree and dessert?

We enjoy breakfast in MDR and often don't eat lunch or only a small snack...... hence we too want to get our value from the UDP.

Edited by hawaiideb

About 10 days ago and now the same cabins are going for $1879 to $2199. But it's worth it to keep an eye on the price................it's all about supply and demand!

The UDP for that cruise is $194.00.

Thanks great price hope to see you on board if it drops like that again!

Have been thinking about the charge for Ocean Blue and even with a discount I think we will pass. After buying the UDP we still have so many options so no need to spend the extra.

DD likes fish but not usually her first choice and I cannot eat lobster so it will be easy for us to pass.

I agree about Ocean Blue..... not worth the extra money.

You can go to more than one restaurant per night with the package.

I may buy it next time and go to the Brazilian restaurant every night. If your group eats there I don't think they will be dinning twice in an evening :)

Love the salad bar!

Edited by monkeybone

I have the answer about the UDP in writing:

I sent the email to ncl and asked about going to more than one restaurant on the same day. This is the response:

Hi JoAnn, Michael and Melissa,

Yes that is covered. There’s no limit to how many restaurants you can eat at in one night. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you!

-Lore

socialmedia@ncl.com

• 9 months later...

I think I'm sold on this UDP for my Barcelona to Port Canaveral package...are we also allowed to hit breakfast at Le Bistro or Cagneys with the UDP?

Would love to have a small late breakfast at Cagneys, small bite at lunch, an Early dinner at Cagneys and a smaller late dinner at Le Bistro...from what I'm reading, that's possible, yes?

Is it true there's extra gratuity added on at the end of the trip for each specialty restaurant we've dine in that isn't included in the MDR?

I think I'm sold on this UDP for my Barcelona to Port Canaveral package...are we also allowed to hit breakfast at Le Bistro or Cagneys with the UDP?

No, they are only open for dinner.

Would love to have a small late breakfast at Cagneys, small bite at lunch, an Early dinner at Cagneys and a smaller late dinner at Le Bistro...from what I'm reading, that's possible, yes?

Only during dinner hours.

Is it true there's extra gratuity added on at the end of the trip for each specialty restaurant we've dine in that isn't included in the MDR?

NCL now assesses an 18% tax on UDP.

Sent from my iPad

NCL now assesses an 18% tax on UDP.

Sent from my iPad

Just to clarify, the 18% is a gratuity not a tax. If you dine in a specialty restaurant without the UDP you pay the cover charge and they add a 18% gratuity. When you buy the UDP they add the 18% gratuity to the purchase price.

Booked the Gem recently to Canada out of NYC and DH wants to try out the UDP. We haven't been on a Jewel class ship, and since she has a bigger tempenyaki and a few more restaurants we are in the process of reserving restaurant nights. Any recommendations for which restaurant to go to for 1st night for lobster night and 2nd night (dress up)? Noticed Cagney's doesn't have a surf and turf. Would really like steak & lobster. Also noticed it said for 3 courses. Does that mean there is an additional charge for salad, soup, entree and dessert?

We enjoy breakfast in MDR and often don't eat lunch or only a small snack...... hence we too want to get our value from the UDP.

No lobster night, no dress up night.

...and no extra charge for additional starters or desserts. If you want more than one entree, there is a $10 charge.

It seems that some are saying you can add lobster to steak to create a surf & turf, but whether you get charged is unclear. However, many on this board are speculating that Cagneys is undergoing some menu changes that include a la carte items. We won't really know for sure until it happens, though, so as I said, it's all speculation at this point.

As a father, I try to expose my daughters to as many things as I can. For example, I want them to sample some French cuisine so, I have an early reservation for Le Bistro. Since my youngest daughter can be picky, I've made reservations for another specialty restaurant later in the evening (in case they don't care for the French food). Both restaurants show as $0.00. I hope this helps the OP.

As a father, I try to expose my daughters to as many things as I can. For example, I want them to sample some French cuisine so, I have an early reservation for Le Bistro. Since my youngest daughter can be picky, I've made reservations for another specialty restaurant later in the evening (in case they don't care for the French food). Both restaurants show as $0.00. I hope this helps the OP.

OP's question was from a year ago.

Just to clarify, the 18% is a gratuity not a tax. If you dine in a specialty restaurant without the UDP you pay the cover charge and they add a 18% gratuity. When you buy the UDP they add the 18% gratuity to the purchase price.

On the cruise I just left, it was listed as a "service charge" IIRC. I call that a tax, but it's been interpreted here to be a gratuity. On the NCL website it actually is described as "gratuity and specialty service charge". I think the only thing we can say for certain is that we don't know exactly where the money goes.

Sent from my iPad