Smoking on balconies - why does HAL still permit it?

cassandra44

All other cruiselines have now prohibited smoking on balconies and the lone exception is HAL.

Having cruised on Oceania and Celebrity just recently we assumed that HAL had adopted a similar policy and we are disturbed to discover that smoking is still permitted. I really wish I had not booked our upcoming Med cruise with them. Had I known I would have opted for a different company.

We would urge all other non-smoking passengers to bring pressure to bear on HAL to have a no smoking policy which permits smoking only in designated areas. It works very well on all other major cruiselines and there is no reason for HAL to continue with a policy that causes serious inconvenience - and is a health risk - to non smoking passengers.

It's very simple - if smoke possibly being wafted your way on a balcony is horrific to you --- don't book HAL.

Not sure why it takes 3 pages of replies.

HAL will respond to the market. Perhaps they are benefiting from being the last major line to permit smoking on the balcony. If they weren't ... they'd have done away with it by now.

You hit the nail on the head! Everyone has a choice. I think there are a lot of smokers on this board but are afraid to say much due to being flamed. I am a smoker. I did not book HAL so I could smoke. But it will be a nice privledge. If it bothers my neighbors, I will put it out.

It is very kind of you to be considerate of your neighbors. The point is that you are allowed to smoke on your balcony Let's say you step out and sit down with your morning coffee and cigarette. Just as you light up and get settled you hear your neighbors....there is not reason for you to interrupt your pleasure and put it out.

Your neighbors booked a balcony on HAL knowing that a smoker may be next door. I say this as a nonsmoker from a totally nonsmoking family who hates the smell of cigarette smoke and must have a balcony. After having the last several cruises smoked out it is my responsibility to change from HAL,not yours (and I did).

You hit the nail on the head! Everyone has a choice. I think there are a lot of smokers on this board but are afraid to say much due to being flamed. I am a smoker. I did not book HAL so I could smoke. But it will be a nice privledge. If it bothers my neighbors, I will put it out.

You, sir or ma'am, are not the problem. You have a habit, but you also know the meaning of courtesy and sense of community. I don't smoke, but I'm sure at one time or another, I've done something that annoyed people around me. Sometimes it just happens but for the most part, we know how to act around other people.

Your neighbors booked a balcony on HAL knowing that a smoker may be next door. I say this as a nonsmoker from a totally nonsmoking family who hates the smell of cigarette smoke and must have a balcony. After having the last several cruises smoked out it is my responsibility to change from HAL,not yours (and I did).

Respectfully, I disagree with this. I don't think this issue is anyone's sole responsibility. Like my response to kpgibbs, in a community, people should know how to compromise to some degree.

You, sir or ma'am, are not the problem. You have a habit, but you also know the meaning of courtesy and sense of community. I don't smoke, but I'm sure at one time or another, I've done something that annoyed people around me. Sometimes it just happens but for the most part, we know how to act around other people.

Respectfully, I disagree with this. I don't think this issue is anyone's sole responsibility. Like my response to kpgibbs, in a community, people should know how to compromise to some degree.

So where is your compromise in this? . The smokers compromise by not smoking in the designated NO SMOKING AREAS , then they are expected to compromise by asking permission to smoke in a Smoking permitted area.

Where do you compromise in this community?

I've been called every name under the sun and been harassed especially by one poster on this board and it's allowed to continue. There are some smokers that are clearly not like that but I don't see why smokers have to resort to that. There is zero need for that and it doesn't win friends.

It's very simple - if smoke possibly being wafted your way on a balcony is horrific to you --- don't book HAL.

Not sure why it takes 3 pages of replies.

HAL will respond to the market. Perhaps they are benefiting from being the last major line to permit smoking on the balcony. If they weren't ... they'd have done away with it by now.

Smokers could also book an all inclusive or take a road trip. Hal is my cruise line of choice but I will book other lines where I don't have to smell smoke. I just hate it when people say to go elsewhere. That is not helpful.

So where is your compromise in this? . The smokers compromise by not smoking in the designated NO SMOKING AREAS , then they are expected to compromise by asking permission to smoke in a Smoking permitted area.

Where do you compromise in this community?

Please show me where I said anything about having to ask permission to smoke. I didn't. And nowhere did I mention non smoking areas. You're adding words and changing the context of my post.

I responded directly to someone who said they would put their cigarette out if it bothered their neighbors....their neighbors meaning balcony neighbors. That's a compromise. The compromise from the non smoker would be (or should be) not getting bent out of shape everytime a cigarette is lit. The non smoker has to put up with a little bit of someone else's habit, meanwhile the smoker shouldn't chain smoke. Yes, this burden is more on the smoker, but that's because its the smoker who is involved in the annoying activity.

I'd love to take my IPad and speakers out on to my balcony and jam out to my music, which is permitted just like smoking is, but I don't. I don't do it because I know it would probably annoy someone. Just like smoking, that compromise burden is more on me because it would be me partaking in the activity.

Edited by Aquahound

when you consider yourself disgusted/offended/endangered by the lawful behaviour of some of your fellow patrons at a commercial establishment you frequent, you have options:

a) get over it

b) take your business elsewhere

c) attempt to convince/threaten/cajole the business into believing your are a more important/profitable/nicer client than the one(s) that offend you.

d) start/contribute to another smoking thread on CC

^^^^LOVE THIS!!

I HATE liver...all Liver! But I'm not so full of myself that I expect every restaurant I patronize to take it off their menu. There's always other options on those menus.

For the record, I AM a smoker. But...I only smoke in designated areas. Like voyageur9 said above, if you find yourself in one of those areas, the ship is big enough to find a non smoking area.

^^^^LOVE THIS!!

I HATE liver...all Liver! But I'm not so full of myself that I expect every restaurant I patronize to take it off their menu. There's always other options on those menus.

For the record, I AM a smoker. But...I only smoke in designated areas. Like voyageur9 said above, if you find yourself in one of those areas, the ship is big enough to find a non smoking area.

I ama smoker ....who happens to like Liver ...and I endorse this message :)

^^^^LOVE THIS!!

Big of you - but wouldn't you be inclined to avoid restaurants which had so many liver eaters that you could not avoid smelling liver throughout your meal.

But it is my responsibility to decide if I want to compromise by having a smoking neighbor or not book HAL. That's what I meant. If I book HAL and my neighbor smokes it is entirely because of the choices I made. I think it is rude to ask them to limit smoking, and even ruder to do the fake cough and loud comments thing.

But it is my responsibility to decide if I want to compromise by having a smoking neighbor or not book HAL. That's what I meant. If I book HAL and my neighbor smokes it is entirely because of the choices I made. I think it is rude to ask them to limit smoking, and even ruder to do the fake cough and loud comments thing.

Good points and I agree.

Some people do get carried away with the complaining. A friend of mine was in an elevator with me and he had an unlit cigar in his hand (behind his back no less). A lady gets on and on the way up she starts sniffing like a dog and says "someone on this elevator has a cigar, I know it." She finally saw it and really lit into my friend. The whole thing was WAY overdone IMO (and I am a non-smoker who does not like smoke either).

I've been called every name under the sun and been harassed especially by one poster on this board and it's allowed to continue. There are some smokers that are clearly not like that but I don't see why smokers have to resort to that. There is zero need for that and it doesn't win friends.

I think my reading comprehension is off today. I'm not sure what you are saying. I can't tell if you're being ugly to me or not. I see where you have someone that is ugly to you. Wellllll, you have been ugly to me many times. I have seen you be very ugly to a lot of people. In fact, I came to defend myself with you and my post was deleted while yours was allowed to stay. I found that very interesting.

Back to the subject, I am a polite smoker. If I can tell it's bothering you, or if you POLITELY ask me to put it out, I will. At the same time, I do have a right to be on my balcony and smoke. But I do not chain smoke.

Tell you what. I'll make a deal with you. You blast your music and I'll smoke. But not chain smoke. Nothing better than listening to music while watching the water go by with a drink and cig. Sounds great to me. You may not find it so great.

Yeah, ok. Sounds like a deal to me. But for the record, you didn't think I was being snide also, did you? :confused: I thought I was pretty nice in my response to you...even saying you're not the problem.

Yeah, ok. Sounds like a deal to me. But for the record, you didn't think I was being snide also, did you? :confused: I thought I was pretty nice in my response to you...even saying you're not the problem.

Apparently if you don't agree, you are being nasty:confused:.

I think my reading comprehension is off today. I'm not sure what you are saying. I can't tell if you're being ugly to me or not. I see where you have someone that is ugly to you. Wellllll, you have been ugly to me many times. I have seen you be very ugly to a lot of people. In fact, I came to defend myself with you and my post was deleted while yours was allowed to stay. I found that very interesting.

Back to the subject, I am a polite smoker. If I can tell it's bothering you, or if you POLITELY ask me to put it out, I will. At the same time, I do have a right to be on my balcony and smoke. But I do not chain smoke.

In all fairness (and I haven't been around CC that long) I think Cruz chick is simply straight-talking, to the point, and no BS. It may come off as a bit harsh sometimes but she says what she believes and no beating around the bush.:D

In all fairness (and I haven't been around CC that long) I think Cruz chick is simply straight-talking, to the point, and no BS. It may come off as a bit harsh sometimes but she says what she believes and no beating around the bush.:D

Exactly. Just because you don't like the message doesn't mean it's rude.

Big of you - but wouldn't you be inclined to avoid restaurants which had so many liver eaters that you could not avoid smelling liver throughout your meal.

I like liver and have been to many restaurants that serve liver, but never have I experienced a lingering smell of liver. Ever.

Edited by Boytjie