Scratch DJ

patty1955

Wow - so this is offered for free to teens but we adults now have to pay for a Zumba class. :mad: My children are well past the teen stage but a DJ is not someone I'd care for my children to emulate. Big sigh. Let's just hope we don't have to hear it.

I'm curious to know why you wouldn't want your children to emulate a DJ. Being a DJ is a skill like playing an instrument or knowing how to cook and some people are really successful at it. For all we know, some kid could go to this program and get really into it and become the next Skrillex (hopefully without the unfortunate hair.) Now, Skrillex may not be everyone's idea of music, but he's making money and the kids like him, so he's doing something right.

Remember it's called, "MODERN" luxury.

Don't think kids of today bring along their albums anymore.roundel_zps0a0c937a.gif

I think you're the one who is behind the times. DJs don't use records anymore... they just fill up a MacBook Pro with all the music they'll ever need.

It's definitely something I'd like to try, even at 44 years old. Always admired DJ's and how they build a crowd into a frenzy, and adjust to the mood and vibe of the crowd on the go. A good DJ tells a story with the music and takes you on a journey.

EDM music is really not much different than Classical and instrumental Music when you get right down to it. It has movements, varied tempo etc...

Someone had posted on one of the Summit info threads they had done it and it was a good experience, recommended I try it when I get the chance.

It's something I have ZERO chance of ever trying to learn on land, which is why I think it'a an awesome idea to try to learn out at sea. I can't just roll up to the DJ booth at a nightclub and say "Hey DJ, teach me how you do that!"

I find something like this far more "enriching" than a lady dressed in a period costume telling the history of ports in England, or whatever that woman was doing on my Eclipse TA this spring.

Edited by cle-guy

Maybe, well hopefully, this DJ activity, geared for teens, is only on Summit during the July/August timeframe when the ship is loaded with families and children. Maybe it's a good activity for the teen set but I can't imagine the clientele that take a 14 night Canada/New England cruise would be interested in this at all.

Edited by jcpc

I would totally do this!!! I hope it is available on the Solstice next May. We are in our early 40's so maybe it is a generational think? Old school rap...yeah boyyyyyy!

:) Julie

I got 2 turntables and a microphone........:cool:

Someone had posted on one of the Summit info threads they had done it and it was a good experience, recommended I try it when I get the chance.

Where can I find that thread? That's what I was looking for when I started this thread.

Edited by patty1955
grammar

It was available on Equinox a few weeks ago. No idea if it was popular.

It may not be for everyone, but then neither is napkin folding, advanced daisy chaining or how to tame your apple iThingymajig.

Having some niche events is inevitable.

Perhaps a good thread would be to suggest what new activities would be popular.

I would totally do this!!! I hope it is available on the Solstice next May. We are in our early 40's so maybe it is a generational think? Old school rap...yeah boyyyyyy!

:) Julie

I got 2 turntables and a microphone........:cool:

And I'm early 60's!

Bottles and cans, just clap your hands, just clap your hands.:)

I'm confused. I've been told that some activities have been cut because they only appeal to a small percentage if the passengers (even though I have seen trivia contests with over 50 participants on a regular basis that's one that I was told didn't have enough.) How many teenagers regularly sail in Celebrity? How can this possibly be part of an activities schedule? Even if some 20, 30 and 40 year olds join in, I can't see how this can be justified and free Zumba gets cut?

I shall definitely Indulge myself with INDULGENCE in about 5 or 6 weeks.

PS: Looking good JOISIE… I mean Josie! ;)

Thanks :D....Believe it or not this woman's name is JOSIE.:eek:...LOL look her up. Ya think it may be a sign that I need some of her swag????? :cool:

I'm confused. I've been told that some activities have been cut because they only appeal to a small percentage if the passengers (even though I have seen trivia contests with over 50 participants on a regular basis that's one that I was told didn't have enough.) How many teenagers regularly sail in Celebrity? How can this possibly be part of an activities schedule? Even if some 20, 30 and 40 year olds join in, I can't see how this can be justified and free Zumba gets cut?

Scratch DJ IS NOT just for teens, check the prior postings in this thread...there are plenty of 30+ old people interested in this, myself included.

The "enrichment" lecture on the eclipse literally had 2 people in it, perhaps those need to be canceled. (butt hen of course the one the next day was a full house, so as with everything it varies ship to ship sailing to sailing and itinerary to itinerary, in addition to day to day).

As it is run by a particular person I imagine it is just a summit summer thing for the NYC-Bermuda sailings, which is well known to have lots of kids though.

Zumba was cut to allow the Spa to charge for and manage it, increasing revenues and still making it available.

I had trivia on my summit sailing in May and my TA this spring...has it been removed from the schedules since the beginning of June? :confused:

Whatever they are doing, it is working financially.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/royal-caribbean-second-quarter-profit-surges-2014-07-24

Stock price is over $60 today..

Edited by cle-guy

I can only speak for myself, but I think most of us are making fun of ourselves more than the class being offered. The real funny thing about it.... Run DMC is my age:eek:.....ROFL I still can sing Rapper's Delight word for word..... :D

I think you're the one who is behind the times. DJs don't use records anymore... they just fill up a MacBook Pro with all the music they'll ever need.

Woooshhh, hear that sound, you didn't get it? My point completely went right over you head. :cool:

Sounds (excuse any pun) like fun...wonder how you do it with MP3?

Zumba ....ohhh..please no!!!

With one of these:

http://www.slashgear.com/pioneer-ddj-ergo-v-dj-controller-makes-your-mix-flashy-29183949/

There are probably hundreds of similar devices.

Or using software. I started mixing a number of years ago as a Spinning instructor. My classes were one long track combining a dozen or more individual tracks with varied BPM, volume, etc. A lot of fun and I learned a lot about music. Oh, BTW, no Rap music, and I wore a suit and tie for my day job until the day I retired! :)