Taking a 12 year old on a cruise

uncleg

I am the Uncle to a 12 year old niece who has been begging me since she could talk to take her on cruise. I kept putting it off until she was older and a little more independent. I have some questions because, this cruise will be all about her...not me. Would she do things with camp Carnival, do they cater to that age group...do they watch them carefully...are they supervised at all times? ( I once ran into a group of kids on scavenger hunt with no adult) I do not want her to ever be on her on while cruising, for her safety, my peace of mind, and as a courtesy to other passengers. I just worry about her getting bored, and i plan to be with her anytime she is not involved with some structured activity, even then I will not be far away.

The 12 to 14 age group is allowed to come and go. If you do not give her permission to leave the area then she will be missing out on many of the activities.

Carnival has Circle "C" for youth ages 12-14...

What does the “C” in Circle “C” stand for? Well, “chill,” “connect” and “cool,” just to name a few. It’s where young teens ages 12 to 14 go to hang out, meet new friends, and enjoy some pretty awesome activities like dance parties, games, outdoor movies and more, in the special Circle “C” area or around the ship. It’s all supervised by friendly and fun-loving counselors who want your young teens to have the best vacation ever.

Royal Caribbean has Adventure Ocean Youth & Teen Program...

Tween & Teen Programs

Whether hanging out with other cruisers or checking out games, sports and parties are on your tween's agenda, our teen-only spots are the places to go. Our Teen program also allows older kids the freedom to come and go as they please. They'll love it so much the only thing you might wish for is a little more time with your kids.

Norwegian has Splash Academy Dolphins ages 10-12 and Entourage for Teens ages 13-17...

Splash Academy is here and making a big, well, splash! Our new program is specifically designed to engage active and creative kids ages 6 months – 12 years old. Whether it's learning to juggle at circus school and performing at the "Big Top at Sea" show presented by Hilario Productions, working on arts & crafts projects or getting the high score on the all new Nintendo Wii™ U, there's plenty of fun for everyone throughout the ship.

Introducing Entourage, our latest and greatest program for teens ages 13-17. Play a pickup game of soccer. Take part in a theater or fashion workshop. Dive into an interactive pool party. With so much to do around our ship, your teens can choose the activities they want to do. Now let's have some fun!

my daughter was in the 12-14 circle C.. and although I know they say its "supervised" its not.. sure they all start out at the C room, where there is one councellor, but if its swimming, or scavenger, or pizza party, they are alone with their peers..goodness knows where the councellor goes during these times? .. we learned this while my daughter was enrolled and going to some of the activities...she said the kids would show up, councellor would tell them what the activity was, and then send them on their merry way..

my daughter was in the 12-14 circle C.. and although I know they say its "supervised" its not.. sure they all start out at the C room, where there is one councellor, but if its swimming, or scavenger, or pizza party, they are alone with their peers..goodness knows where the councellor goes during these times? .. we learned this while my daughter was enrolled and going to some of the activities...she said the kids would show up, councellor would tell them what the activity was, and then send them on their merry way..

This is exactly what I worry about...I guess I will just be in the shadows watching. Yes I am an over protective Uncle, but she is the closest thing I will ever have to having one of my own...I am referred to by her as her 2nd Daddy.

At the age of 12 youngsters are beginning to develop independence soooo being able to do some activities with friends their own age without an adult hovering is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd expect there to be rules about checking in with the adult and rules about not going anywhere on the ship alone etc. I am sure that there are similar rules at home. The ship is like a small town so safety rules from home would apply there as well.

Good luck with your cruise and I am sure you and your niece will be fine!

I've been taking my daughter since she was that age. She never liked the group for her age much so never really went. I don't worry much about her on the ship, but we also take our nephew with us so her having a buddy might make a difference to your situation. I always make them check in every few hours and they have to eat dinner with us...... along with outher rules, but I don't make them stay right there with us at all times. They are very well behaved kids and we have never had any trouble. I hope you have a great time!

You may want to look into getting a room close to the Circle C area. That way she won't have far to walk back at night.

It was extremely hard for me to let my boys go when they were old enough, but we had strict rules and they knew if they messed up that mom would walk them to the activities the next day in her bath robe with a green beauty mask on. Suffice to say, no problems out of them. Although on Carnival, I doubt if anyone would notice me in a bathrobe. Seems to be the garment of choice. But to the kids, the thought of being embarrassed far outweighs just about any other punishment :D

Does anybody else find this a bit creepy? I wouldn't let my 12yo daughter share a cabin with her uncle no matter how I loved them. It didn't say if any body else would be along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just wondering If this were an aunt taking a nephew would you even ask? I would have had no problem letting either of my daughter's ( when they were that age) go on a trip alone with my brother in law!!

OP I would make sure you have a signed and notarized letter from both the parents giving you permission to take her out of the country, and to allow you to sign for any medical treatment deemed necessary.

about a decade or so-we used walkie-talkies to keep up and check-in with my son -probably have something better now. That way you could give her some independence but also take it away if she abused the privilege

We recently carried our 12 yr. old God-Daughter with us on her 4th cruise. she did not care for Circle C. Went 1 time and said all that was there were Nerdy boys. I went up and checked it and she was right. Never mentioned it again. That said, she is old enough to want to do whatever she wants whenever she wants, but I know that she is still much too young for that. Be prepared for "you never let me do anything" and "you treat me like a child". I just say "no, I treat you like your 12.

My daughter stopped going to the camps 3 years ago, she is 13. She enjoys meeting the kids during other activities and would rather sit on the deck and watch a movie or play in the arcade if she was "bored" or watch a show. Its a nice social function and good place for the little kids, but as they get older some kids don't want to be in "camp".

I'm going to go way off topic for you here since you're an uncle, I want to make sure I have your back. I'm (Dad) sailing shortly with my 11 year old daughter. One of my fears is that she's going to get her first period when we're on the boat. I'm having my wife pack a "starter kit" so we've got everything we need should it happen. I'd just check with Mom & Dad and discreetly see where she is in her development so you can prepare (if necessary) to react appropriately and not just freak out.

Does anybody else find this a bit creepy? I wouldn't let my 12yo daughter share a cabin with her uncle no matter how I loved them. It didn't say if any body else would be along.

I do not. I think if more "families" had good relationships this would never come into question.

We have grand daughters and I have never once questioned Pop Pop taking the kids on outings etc.

to the OP- our number #1 rule was NEVER ever for any reason walk any one back to their cabin--even if it was to pick something up. She can wait for them in a public place.

this age group is too cool for group participation. you will find kids this age hanging out at the pizza place-- playing cards. or sitting in the hot tubs.

Make sure she gets to the first meet and greet the first night to meet the kids that will be sailing with her.

Make dinner with you mandatory or you will not be seeing her all week.

Dinner as a family was mandatory.

Last night on the ship the kids wanted to be out out together most of the night-- expand the curfew a bit.

make curfew during the week-- and stick by it.

Telephones in the cabin are equipped with voice mail. she should use a house phone to check in every so often letting you know where she is when she is there--- and leave a message if those plans changed. House phones are located at every deck by the elevators

Make it important that she accepts no drinks from anyone for any reason. and do not leave an soda sitting while she goes and does something else

Edited by serene56

It also seems odd that a two-year old would even know what cruising was...and even if she did, why would she ask her uncle and not her parents?

Just wondering If this were an aunt taking a nephew would you even ask?

FAR more child molesters are male than female.

I feel so sorry for you that you have fallen for the popular liberal cultural myth that all men a sexual predators. Believe it or not the majority of men out there are decent human beings.

This is my brothers daughter, and I love her more than anything in this world, and would sacrifice myself for her safety, she always has said she has 3 Daddies, her father, her grandfather and me. I get a fathers day card from her every year. We do uncle niece outings, be it shopping or going to the corn maze and she does spend the night at my home on occasion, not as much as she used to but when she does, we make popcorn and watch scary movies, then we go to bed..her to her room or as we call it the Princess room and me to mine.

As for the "female" issues....fortunately those have already been addressed. I have been waiting for that so I would not have to deal with it.

It also seems odd that a two-year old would even know what cruising was...and even if she did, why would she ask her uncle and not her parents?

First she is 12, and her Uncle cruises regularly and her parents do not.

FAR more child molesters are male than female.

Just because I am Male does not automatically make me a child molester, another victim of liberal propaganda.

Just because I am Male does not automatically make me a child molester, another victim of liberal propaganda.

Can I just apologize for my entire gender? You've been unfairly painted here.

I know all of my siblings, their spouses and my husbands siblings and spouses well enough to know whether my child is safe in their care, as I am sure your brother does.

I come from a very close family, close enough that my nieces and nephews are like children to me, it seems like you do also.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Wow. I can't believe someone actually said that. That comment makes me sick to my stomach. I frequently take my sister in law places. Not on cruises, but we go all over the place. She is 12. Does that make me a pedophile? We just all happen to be a close family, and I am the fun one all the kids like hanging out with because I am a big kid myself 90% of the time.

As for your question

My in-laws take their youngest daughter, 12 on their second cruise last week on Pride. She went and did what she wanted and meet kids to play with on her own. They never enrolled her in the Camp stuff. She had fun, I think she was a little bored since Pride isn't upgraded yet and lacks a lot of the slides and such right now.

Depending on our 4 year olds attitude and responsibility level when she reaches 10 I will allow her to do the same. But it all depends on her. Trying to instill into her now that her actions and attitude directly effect what she is or isn't allowed to do. Its slowly working..she is hard headed, but so am I.

I am the Uncle to a 12 year old niece who has been begging me since she could talk to take her on cruise. I kept putting it off until she was older and a little more independent. I have some questions because, this cruise will be all about her...not me. Would she do things with camp Carnival, do they cater to that age group...do they watch them carefully...are they supervised at all times? ( I once ran into a group of kids on scavenger hunt with no adult) I do not want her to ever be on her on while cruising, for her safety, my peace of mind, and as a courtesy to other passengers. I just worry about her getting bored, and i plan to be with her anytime she is not involved with some structured activity, even then I will not be far away.

What a lucky young lady! I wish I could tell you things that would put your mind at ease about supervision on the ship, but I cannot. I am the momma of three girls b/w 4 and 24 and they have all been very very frequent cruisers. The duty of supervision will fall to you. You will need to set appropriate rules and expectations based on how responsible your niece is. We've been fortunate to have girls that have followed the rules we have put in place including, never being alone on cabin decks, regular check-ins, etc. When they have been unsuccessful in finding a buddy we manage to find things to do together that keeps everyone safe and happy. Personally we have always found more than ample things to do to keep our kids from becoming bored but frequently they are things that do with us instead of with the organized activities. It seems to vary ship to ship and kid to kid on the topic of how much time our kids spend in organized camp carnival activities. Sometimes we never see our kids but for the requirement to join us for meals and shore excursions and sometimes we have to resort to bribing them to attend camp just long enough to give us some time alone together to attend an adult activity. Have an absolute blast on your trip :)

And for the record, not every woman believes that this situation is odd or perverse. Personally, I think that every single positive adult male role model in the life of a little girl is helping her to select a life partner that treats her well and will make her happy. But alas, that entire topic has nothing to do with cruising, nor with the questions you asked :)

Whatever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty?" You have convicted him and there has not even been a crime!

Personally, I find your post very offensive.

If you do not trust your brother or brother-in-law enough to allow your daughter to stay with him, then you are entirely correct to follow your instincts. However, please know that most men would not allow any harm to come to their nieces (or nephews for that matter). I for one treat my nieces and nephews as I would my own children.

You want to adopt me as your neice?! Lol

She will be fine. Discuss your expectations of her and enjoy your cruise!

By the way the relationship a neice has with her uncle is a treasured one. I had a great one growing up and wouldn't change it for anything in the world!

You want to adopt me as your neice?! Lol

She will be fine. Discuss your expectations of her and enjoy your cruise!

By the way the relationship a niece has with her uncle is a treasured one. I had a great one growing up and wouldn't change it for anything in the world!

LOL, thanx for the light hearted reply, we are working on table manners now, she is really looking forward to meals in the MDR and dressing up for Formal nights, just need to book it now, but between gymnastics, dance, travel softball, band, church camp and school, I'm having a hard time finding one that her scheduling allows. She's an A student so if she missed a couple of days of school it would be no big deal.

I had an Uncle who was just great when I was a kid, and I wanted to be as good an Uncle as he was...I have two grown nephews and one grown niece...told all 3 when they went off to college if they ever found themselves in trouble ( drinking, arrested...whatever) call me any time I would be there for them......fortunately they were all smart kids and never had to call on me.