Rough seas???

caro7stev

Hi,

We have recently booked a cruise on Marina, Oceania Cruises. We have booked the cruise leaving Buenos Aires on December 1st and it travels around the southern tip of South America. Has anyone any idea if the seas will be rough in this area. I recently read that cruise ships generally stay in sheltered areas down there due to the rough seas. Can anyone let me know as I suffer from sea sickness and want to go prepared!!

Hi,

We have recently booked a cruise on Marina, Oceania Cruises. We have booked the cruise leaving Buenos Aires on December 1st and it travels around the southern tip of South America. Has anyone any idea if the seas will be rough in this area. I recently read that cruise ships generally stay in sheltered areas down there due to the rough seas. Can anyone let me know as I suffer from sea sickness and want to go prepared!!

Sorry but, nobody can really answer that question. Yes, there are areas where you will be in sheltered areas but, even those can be rough depending on the intensity of the possible storm. You will most probably spend more time in the open sea than in sheltered areas.

Storms can blow up anywhere from beginning to end. Not trying to scare you but, you need to always be prepared if sailing on the oceans if you suffer from sea sickness. Hope for the best but, prepare for the worst is the best advice for you.

Have a great trip and fair winds and following seas.

Hi...

In January, 2013, wife and I passed through the Drake Passage on the Azamara Quest, heading for Argentina after spending a couple of days off Antarctica. Ran through a hurricane with 100 mph winds coming across the deck. We were having dinner in a specialty restaurant on the 10th or 11th deck, and when the ship would roll into a trough we would be looking UP at the wavetops. They had to shut down the public places on the ship around 9:30pm because nobody could stand up.

Obviously, we made it across none the worse for wear. Did add a little excitement, though.

Regards.

Many seafarers will tell you it can be the roughest water in the world. The convergence of the Atlantic and pacific does not bode well. But.... We did the Drake Passage a number of years ago, and the Captain called the area the "Drake Lake".

As has been said, you cannot predict.

We did Buenos Aires to Valpo in January 2002. The captain said we had the calmest seas in 25 years going in to Port Stanley. But coming up to Buenos Aires the previous cruise hadn't been able to visi there.

We had lovely weather at Cape Horn but so-so weather going around the tip of the continent. The seas weren't rough ... just the weather was very grey.

The point is, I guess, that I'm agreeing that there are no predictions. The weather can be great one day and not so great the next.

Mura

We are on same sailing....i have been told that the seas are not that bad....and relatively smooth sailing.....but i guess it depends....one never knows..on his sailing and this area or any other sailing or area.

Lets hope for the best!

We were on a different ship that actually made a landing on Cape Horn, with zodiacs. The next day we had 30 foot seas. I used a scopalomine patch and phenergan and/or dramamine, depending on the severity of the situation. I was fine until I got home and took off the scopalomine patch. Then I had a few weird hours of chills and dizziness. Next time, I'd let the patch wear off.

A few years ago DH and I went around Cape Horn. We thought that there would be rough waters. It was a bit rough and we were told over the speaker that "This is Cape Horn".

We then turned around and went through Beagle Strait and then up and through the strait of Magelan. It was so calm and peaceful gliding along during the day. We were surprised that it was so calm as we had heard for many years and from history in school that these waters were very rough.

Later we were disappointed when we saw on the map where we travelled as it was not in the rough waters on the west side of Cape Horn. We were later told that cruise ships did not go right around Cape Horn and into Drake Strait as they did not want anything to happen to their cruise ship or put their passengers in danger.

However, one never knows what the waters will be like from one minute to the next.

o

Hope for the best. Going around the tip can be hell. Can be a lake too.

as said "the luck of the draw"...take the meds you think you might want to use...cross your fingers...and enjoy!!!! LuAnn

Hi...

In January, 2013, wife and I passed through the Drake Passage on the Azamara Quest, heading for Argentina after spending a couple of days off Antarctica. Ran through a hurricane with 100 mph winds coming across the deck. We were having dinner in a specialty restaurant on the 10th or 11th deck, and when the ship would roll into a trough we would be looking UP at the wavetops. They had to shut down the public places on the ship around 9:30pm because nobody could stand up.

Obviously, we made it across none the worse for wear. Did add a little excitement, though.

Regards.

We were on that same sailing. It was definitely an interesting few days!! Fabulous trip though

In 2008 we were on a cruise Lima to BA. The day we were to "round the Horn" our Captain announced that very high winds (160km/hr) were making the seas rough and he might have to come back quickly into the channel. About 10pm we started out of the channel and luckily for us the winds had dropped - some. It was still very rocky though and some sculptures near the Observation Lounge crashed to the floor. We made it round the Horn. And the photo below was actually taken on deck that evening as we went around! (Which accounts for my windswept hair-do).

Edited by Hambagahle

We are on your Marina Cape Horn Cruise. Notice that Oceania doesn't seem to mention Cape Horn; perhaps because there is too much association with heavy storms? Hope for the best; prepare for the worst! Yet a bit of me wants some good stories to bring back!

Danny Weitz

About eight years ago we went around Cape Horn and slept thru the whole trip. Maybe 7:30 or eight o'clock in the morning. A bummer. We thought the rough water would wake us up, but it was calm as a lake. Go figure. :(