Photo ID

Ceepot

I'm just reading the Celebrity small print, and they say I need to bring photo ID with me. Will my passport suffice, or shall I bring my driving license as well? I've not seen anyone mention this anywhere else. :confused:

Although a passport suffices, we bring our DL with us too. At certain ports in the Caribbean (like if we are just walking in the vicinity of the ship, or if we are going to the beach/snorkeling), we prefer to keep our passports in the cabin safe and just take our driver's licenses ashore with us. Many ports (ie: Bermuda, St. Thomas, Nassau, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc) require you to show the photo ID to port security before being allowed to approach the ship for reboarding.

I'm just reading the Celebrity small print, and they say I need to bring photo ID with me. Will my passport suffice, or shall I bring my driving license as well? I've not seen anyone mention this anywhere else. :confused:
Passport is fine. A driver's license is only needed if you will be driving.

In ports, many passengers leave their passport and driver's license safely locked up in the safe and only take a photocopy of the passport off the ship with them to use as photo ID.

Even that is not needed at some ports, but other ports have tighter security and want to see a photo ID for re-entry to the port area.

At any ports where you need to take your actual passport off the ship with you, they let you know.

Otherwise it is much better to risk losing the photocopy than to risk losing one's actual passport or driver's license.

We carry a passport plus a enhanced driver's license.

When leaving the ship I use a CC holder that Celebrity gives out to CC cabins and above and carry my license, ship card, and a CC. Also stash some currency in a small pocket of the shorts or pants that I wear.

I don't want to carry my passport in a port as it is too bulky. Did it a few times to have it stamped but most places don't do that.

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We also leave our passports on board. We use a waterproof ID/Badge holder. It is big enough to hold our drivers license, room key card, car key, copy of our passport and a little more room for some cash or something. We got ours at a dive shop. Hangs around our neck inside the shirt. Also great for swimming instead of leaving personal items on the beach.

http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Waterproof-Badge-Holder-Lanyard/dp/B005EURF4A

Edited by ReneeFLL

I do not think that the US posters have noticed that you are from the UK. You will need your passport as your official means of identification.

However, unlike other overseas travel, you will not necessarily need your passport to get on and off the ship at the intermediate ports. [if you are like us, it will take a while to get used to this!] Depending on the ports and parts of the world you are visiting, the ship may actually hold your passport for the whole trip [to expedite immigration at each port]. It is always recommended that you take other photo ID in ports and, if your passport is being held by the ship, that means some other photo ID. We now take our driver's licence but, before we had the new style licence we took something else. e.g my husband took his OAP's bus pass. It was also useful for getting senior discount where ever we were.