One more question...

ItalianGuest

ItalianGuest, we all wish you well and welcome aboard Cunard and bon voyage. Being a native of the "home of fashion" (I'll let you fight the French on that one all by yourself) of course you know that having a sense of style includes knowing what is appropriate to wear when and where. And Cunard makes that easy by printing that information every day in the Daily Programme.

In the US the Disney line is built for families with young children. If I signed on for a Disney cruise, and then asked can I find adults-only areas, would one not wonder why I booked with them? Cunard ships are probably the most formal among all of the cruise lines so why would book Cunard if you want a casual atmosphere?

Actually while Disney does cater to families with young children and Disney fans....they are also well known for providing lots of "Adult Only" areas - pools, restaurants, spas, lounges that are strictly enforced. Children are not allowed to even just pass through. There is an adult only main restaurant that is on the dining room rotation that is adults only and on the night you are scheduled to eat there, the children MUST be fed somewhere else that night, either by the parents or ship's staff. Many adult couples cruise on Disney for just this reason. And they are satisfied.

Actually while Disney does cater to families with young children and Disney fans....they are also well known for providing lots of "Adult Only" areas - pools, restaurants, spas, lounges that are strictly enforced. Children are not allowed to even just pass through..

Yes, I'm aware of that. But interacting with character actors and an overall juvenile theme is not for me. So I don't book Disney only to complain about it later.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But interacting with character actors and an overall juvenile theme is not for me. So I don't book Disney only to complain about it later.

I totally agree with you.......when I would have to step out off the adudlt only areas and back into the public areas, I would really not like it.

Just wanted to show that even mass cruise lines can provide quieter and adult areas if they wanted to.

Back to the posters' question…

I think you and your friends will like traveling with Cunard. Why not just buy a couple articles of clothing and fully participate --dressed appropriately--throughout the ship and not miss anything?

You could go on a "clothes hunt" together. Tuxedos actually are less expensive than suits.

But, a dark suit is acceptable on formal nights.

Really, however, investing in a tux would not set you, or your friends, back all that much.

Investigate options and I think you will be surprised that cost would not be prohibitive.

Expand your wardrobe and join in fully! More fun for you and your friends!

Plus, you would be set for future voyages!

Happy Sailing!

Hello JIMMYBEAN,

probably I've expressed myself badly:

we have suits for the more formal nights and even jackets (a blu jacket on a pair of jeans is so nice!)

I was speaking about all the other days... we use jeans, t-shirt and sweaters usually in our daily life, and we are so used to them that nobody use trousers or a more formal dress... so probably It is better to go to the buffet during some nights then buy 4/5 pairs of new trousers, jackets and shirts that we will neve use again... jeans are so comfortable! But maybe you're right: we should expand our wardrobe and so be ready to take a lot of cruises with Cunard!!!:)

Thank you.

ItalianGuest

Edited by ItalianGuest

If your jeans are neat (not torn or faded) they may be acceptable with a jacket on informal nights.

American jeans such as Wranglers and Levis typically fade and fray within a relatively short period of time. I think most who warn against wearing jeans are thinking of jeans that are in the condition of the ones in my closet.

If your jeans are neat (not torn or faded) they may be acceptable with a jacket on informal nights.

American jeans such as Wranglers and Levis typically fade and fray within a relatively short period of time. I think most who warn against wearing jeans are thinking of jeans that are in the condition of the ones in my closet.

Thank you for your opinion!

Yes, very nice jeans!

Regards,

ItalianGuest

So there is no confusion, Cunard does have a stated dress code policy on their website. Officially, despite anyone else's opinions, the dress code says "no blue or worn denim"

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

None of us on CC are representatives of Cunard. We are just fellow passengers, just trying to help each other out by sharing information.

Like Underwatr I have my own imagine of what "jeans" look like. If ItalianGuest and his friends have denim trousers which are neither blue nor worn, it looks like they would be in compliance with Cunard's dress requirements.

I think not.

Why do a lot of people want to push the dress code to the limit. Enjoy yourself but conform with the stated dress code and be happy with it. If you want to dress down, go with a different cruise line :(

So there is no confusion, Cunard does have a stated dress code policy on their website. Officially, despite anyone else's opinions, the dress code says "no blue or worn denim"

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

None of us on CC are representatives of Cunard. We are just fellow passengers, just trying to help each other out by sharing information.

Like Underwatr I have my own imagine of what "jeans" look like. If ItalianGuest and his friends have denim trousers which are neither blue nor worn, it looks like they would be in compliance with Cunard's dress requirements.

'If ItalianGuest and his friends have denim trousers which are neither blue nor worn, it looks like they would be in compliance with Cunard's dress requirement'.

On one of our cruises last year, one of the better dressed passengers in the restaurant occasionally wore a pair of beautifully cut black jeans, open neck shirt and a jacket. On the casual night, he ditched the jacket.

A walking Armani advertisement. He looked fabulous.

Look, this is not complicated. Pack a navy suit and a pair of chinos and one tie and be done with it.

And quit acting like you have never in your life worn anything other than blue jeans.

Sheesh. What a lot of fuss.

Look, this is not complicated. Pack a navy suit and a pair of chinos and one tie and be done with it. And quit acting like you have never in your life worn anything other than blue jeans. Sheesh. What a lot of fuss.
THANK YOU sarafinadh :) .

I vote for your post above to be a "sticky". It answers many of the dress-code questions in one simple, easy to read/understand post :) .

(Of course, without the (almost daily) Cunard dress-code questions it would be awfully quiet around here... was that tumbleweed just went past? ... )

I'll "bookmark" your post for next time ... and the time after that.

Thank you again. Well said :)

Is it possible the discrepancy in dress codes being discussed here is the result of the language being used?

My understanding of the code is that there is in the evening; formal, or informal, and during the day; casual, with blue jeans specifically being noted as unacceptable after 6pm.

Would it seem likely that for some reason the casual code was extended into the evening for some reason?

And I am happy to have contributed a succinct version of dealing with the dress code. Sometimes I just can't bite my tongue ; -)