Star Princess August Alaska Newbie Questions

marinermarquise

Hi, all you knowledgeable cruisers!

I am excited to be booked on the August 19th Glacier Bay Star Princess cruise (11 nights)and would love your input, since this is my first Alaskan cruise and the first cruise in 10 years.

1. How to dress? I am a woman in my early 60s.

a. My normal casual is jeans and a tee. Is that "dressy" enough daytime attire?

b. How warm will it be on board in mid-to-end of August? All the pics of passengers in the brochure look straight out of a Land's End catalog with their khakis and polartec jackets. Will I need a sweater or hoody to be comfortable inside?

2. I am gluten-free. Should I notify Princess before the cruise?

3. Dinner dress.

a. how many formal nights?

b. can I "pass muster" wearing nice black jeans, a nice top and jewelry to dinner on non-formal nights?

4. What about at the ports? Will I need a warm jacket?

5. Should I bring mosquito repellant for the ports?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by marinermarquise
added question

I am excited to be booked on the August 19th Glacier Bay Star Princess cruise (11 nights)and would love your input, since this is my first Alaskan cruise and the first cruise in 10 years.

1. How to dress? I am a woman in my early 60s. Like you would dress where you live will be fine most of the time.

a. My normal casual is jeans and a tee. Is that "dressy" enough daytime attire? Yes. You could even be more casual if temperatures permit.

b. How warm will it be on board in mid-to-end of August? All the pics of passengers in the brochure look straight out of a Land's End catalog with their khakis and polartec jackets. Will I need a sweater or hoody to be comfortable inside?

2. I am gluten-free. Should I notify Princess before the cruise? The important thing is to notify your headwaiter the first evening at dinner. He will help you plan that evening's meal and help you select items for the next evening. Each night he will help with the following night's menu. You should make your table waiter and assistant waiter aware of the restriction, but only the headwaiter can plan the meals with you. If you want to eat in a specialty restaurant, go the previous evening to work with the headwaiter there. You can have gluten free pizza on the pool deck with 24 hours notice there. In the buffet, always speak with a headwaiter about what is safe for you there.

3. Dinner dress.

a. how many formal nights? Should be two. In the itinerary part of the Personalizer on the Princess web site will be a sentence confirming this.

b. can I "pass muster" wearing nice black jeans, a nice top and jewelry to dinner on non-formal nights? Yes

4. What about at the ports? Will I need a warm jacket? For Alaska you need to be prepared for cold weather, warm weather and hot weather.

5. Should I bring mosquito repellant for the ports? Have it with you, but you may not need to actually use it.

Thanks for your help!

Have a great cruise!

1. How to dress? I am a woman in my early 60s.

b. How warm will it be on board in mid-to-end of August? All the pics of passengers in the brochure look straight out of a Land's End catalog with their khakis and polartec jackets. Will I need a sweater or hoody to be comfortable inside? You will require layered clothing, and a rain jacket. I have a goretex rain jacket that doubles as an outer wind breaker. I also pack a thin polyester (silk like) long sleeve undershirt which works well if it gets cool. Inside the ship I always find it comfortable to wear a sweater or sweatshirt jacket. It can be cool in the theater and some lounges.

b. can I "pass muster" wearing nice black jeans, a nice top and jewelry to dinner on non-formal nights? Yes, that's fine

See above