Major attraction in FLL that is not cruising?

TeamH

I have booked a surprise cruise from FLL in June 2015. We are on a 6 week trip to the US and will be in Orlando pre-cruise. I've told the kids we should go and watch some of the big ships sail away but not sure I could convince my husband to drive 3 hours and stay overnight just to watch a ship sail.

So my question is, what would be an attraction of going all that way that I can sell to my husband so he doesn't get wind of the cruise?

I would like to see more of the area too, just don't know what's there.

Edited by TeamH

Why not just tell your husband so he can share in the anticipation. As you can see I am not a big surpise person-my thoughts: there are enough surprises in everyday life.

But if you must

Ft Lauderdale has beutiful beaches, another cool thing to do is a airboat ride through the Everglades.

Either way have a great Vacation in the US-I know I enjoyed your country when I visited it last year on a cruise.

There really aren't any attractions in Ft Lauderdale that would be worth driving over an hour for. Some attractions:

beach

Las Olas

waterfront dining

Museum of Art

Museum of Discovery and Science

Bonnet House

Stranahan House

Riverwalk

Boomer's

Thanks to each of you for all the helpful info.

In all honesty, I don't expect to be able to keep it a secret from my husband, especially when we get to the nitty gritty of planning. Not sure how I'd explain a blank 7 nights ;) but it's quite a chunk of $ on an already expensive trip so I want less time for him to talk me out of it. It's really a once in a lifetime family trip and I know I'd regret not booking on the Oasis when I've got the chance. He'll love the idea when I tell him, especially when he sees the awesome location of the cabin I booked.

harry0 - glad you enjoyed Australia. I was in the US 20 years ago, can't wait to be back and share the fun of your country with my family.

The only thing coming to my mind is a trip down to the Keys to reach the Southern Most Point of the United States. You could sell it with a stop overnight in Fort Lauderdale to see the the ships and then when everybody is having a good time with their Bon Voyage wave you could be like "You know what honey, I want to go on a cruise, lets go tomorrow" and you can tell them that you booked the Oasis for tomorrow then.

I dunno lol, I'm good at holding this type of stuff from my wife, but my wife can't even keep a secret about what she got me for Christmas so it depends on the person.

Either way I'm sure they'll love the idea, whether you tell them now or the night before. I'm sure the latter will produce a more memorable moment though lol.

But yea there is nothing really to do in South Florida outside of Beaches, Shopping and Cruising.

Edited by kdawg954

Thanks to each of you for all the helpful info.

In all honesty, I don't expect to be able to keep it a secret from my husband, especially when we get to the nitty gritty of planning. Not sure how I'd explain a blank 7 nights ;) but it's quite a chunk of $ on an already expensive trip so I want less time for him to talk me out of it. It's really a once in a lifetime family trip and I know I'd regret not booking on the Oasis when I've got the chance. He'll love the idea when I tell him, especially when he sees the awesome location of the cabin I booked.

harry0 - glad you enjoyed Australia. I was in the US 20 years ago, can't wait to be back and share the fun of your country with my family.

Tell him you have a trip planned to South Beach and the Florida Keys and Key West. That will be a good seven days you can block out of your schedule.