Service Charrge instead of tipping...a trend

smeyer418

As reported in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/opinion/10shaw.html?th&emc=th

Yes I know it requires that you register but if I post it in full it will be removed as a copyright violation.

It reports that a restuarant in NY has begun adding an Europeon type service charge in liue of tipping. It is interesting to note that studies do not find any correlation between good service, high service marks and tipping. Instead it says other things(like if you like your server), correlate to tips. It also reports that this change has engendered many comments...

I know I said I hate tipping threads but thought this of interest to cruisers.

Thanks Sid,

The article IS very interesting. I wonder how it will play out. Please keep us informed.

My DIL worked in a very high-end rest. She is very good. Took her job seriously. Had a loyal following, especially due to her knowledge of fine wine (going for her Masters).

They pooled the tips, she "carried" a lot of the servers, yet for 3 nights work she made over $1,500.00. I would THINK with the service charge and her "over the top" tips, just for her, she would have made out better?

What are your opinions?

Thanks Sid,

The article IS very interesting. I wonder how it will play out. Please keep us informed.

My DIL worked in a very high-end rest. She is very good. Took her job seriously. Had a loyal following, especially due to her knowledge of fine wine (going for her Masters).

They pooled the tips, she "carried" a lot of the servers, yet for 3 nights work she made over $1,500.00. I would THINK with the service charge and her "over the top" tips, just for her, she would have made out better?

What are your opinions?

Hard to say, but I do know, our experience in Europe and Hong Kong has been; the service is not affected by the automatic service charge. I just thought I would throw that in as studies have shown similar results. Those who want to serve the public well will and the upper restaurants will not tolerate bad service I am sure. NMNita

I never liked the pooling of tips in shore restaurants. It penalizes the good servers and rewards the incompetents. When I go to a restaurant and request a particular server, I would hope they receive the full tip I gave. On a ship, if a specific server has been outstanding during the cruise, I try to give them a cash tip in addition to the pooled ship service charge. The same goes for musicians and entertainers who are too often overlooked after honoring your requests throughout the cruise.

It is interesting to note that studies do not find any correlation between good service, high service marks and tipping.
It's no more than what's been known in Europe for ages. Some of the best restaurant service in the world is delivered by staff in places where you simply don't tip and where there is no added service charge.

The key is to pay your staff properly and ensure that morale is good. The delivery of good service is most dependent on those two features.

Hard to say, but I do know, our experience in Europe and Hong Kong has been; the service is not affected by the automatic service charge. I just thought I would throw that in as studies have shown similar results. Those who want to serve the public well will and the upper restaurants will not tolerate bad service I am sure. NMNita
I would agree with you for every country but France. :D Man...when we were in Paris seven months ago, we almost felt like the service charege was our fee to speak to the waiter. LOL I joke...it wasn't that bad everywhere.

I know that on NCL the automatic $10/day and 15% on drinks is pooled. However, if you give a cash tip to a specific person who has gone that extra mile, does that individual get to keep the tip or is it added to the tip pool? Cheers.
yes, they do. Some will tell you they have heard otherwise, but how in the world would anyone know if you slipped a $20 or whatever to someone? NMNita

The key is to pay your staff properly and ensure that morale is good. The delivery of good service is most dependent on those two features.

Agree. I'd add good training and some form of patron feedback mechanism--either visits to tables by management (appropriate for most land-based restaurants) or feedback cards a la NCL's.

Agree. I'd add good training and some form of patron feedback mechanism--either visits to tables by management (appropriate for most land-based restaurants) or feedback cards a la NCL's.

I would also add personal pride in a job well done. There are plenty of underpaid workers in all sorts of professions who still go about their business in a professional manner, all because their work ethic is rooted in personal pride.

I would also add personal pride in a job well done. There are plenty of underpaid workers in all sorts of professions who still go about their business in a professional manner, all because their work ethic is rooted in personal pride.

Agree wholeheartedly. To me, this is a much more genuine motivation than sucking up to and fawning over passengers in the hope of getting a bigger tip.

We were in Italy at the end of May, and most restuarants add a service charge, but it's just to sit down and eat there. The waiters explained that it was not their tip and they recieved none of the charge. The establishment just adds it to your biill for whatever reason. But of course you also had to pay for butter, and there was usually a $1.50 per person charge for bread, that they put on your table as soon as you sit down. It wasn't only one waiter that explained this service charge was not for the wait staff, but all the places we ate over a 17 day vacation in Rome, Vencie, Florence, and Pisa. A few places stated on their menu, "no Service Charge", but very few.

Archived