NCL Dawn with in-laws

jlacy1987

My husband and I are planning to take our next cruise in 2016 and are thinking about inviting his parents to join us. They've never been on a cruise and this would be our 3rd one.

In April, my husband and I were on Dawn in a mini-suite and we loved it. It was the perfect amount of space since we spent a lot of time in the room relaxing.

When we go in 2016, it would likely be on the Dawn again since she is moving to NOLA and that's only a 5 hour drive for us so no need to fly.

I'm looking for the best, but cheapest option. What I'm looking for is to have one of the rooms to have seating for 4 to eat dinner if we order room service and the balcony to be big enough to sit 4 if we all want to lounge together.

I've looked at the 2 bedroom suite, but the 2nd bedroom is just too small for 2 other adults. I've looked at a combination of 2 connecting balcony rooms or a mini and an inside and they could use our balcony.The mini-suite balcony isn't quite big enough for what I'd like to use it for.

The biggest thing that makes me hesitate between one suite and one non-suite are the perks. I know they can't share them with us and that would greatly disappoint them. I've never been in a suite, so I can't miss something I've never had.

So which of the following would you choose?

1) 2 connecting balcony rooms (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms; cons - can't really "share" the space) $4803

2) 1 mini-suite and 1 inside (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms, cheapest option; cons - can't really "share" the space) $4583

3) Aft Penthouse Suite and 1 inside (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms, has dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; con - most expensive) $5183

4) Forward Penthouse Suite and 1 inside (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms, has dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; con - most expensive with #3) $5283

5) Family Suite with Balcony (pros - has dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; cheapest option along with #2; cons - one bathroom, one room $4503

6) 2 bedroom Suite (pros - 2 bathrooms, 1 room, dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; cons - tiny 2nd bedroom, most expensive with #3 and #4) $5323

I would go with 3...... you'll have enough space to share some meals together ordered from room service and cagneys.....especially breakfast.....share a drink before dinner on the balcony....enjoy the wake....the aft suites are great....having the extra space would really enhance my cruise...have fun whatever you decide....

I would go with 3...... you'll have enough space to share some meals together ordered from room service and cagneys.....especially breakfast.....share a drink before dinner on the balcony....enjoy the wake....the aft suites are great....having the extra space would really enhance my cruise...have fun whatever you decide....

That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. Just out of curiosity, why aft and not forward? Forward has a larger balcony.

There is NO WAY I would pick an option that puts some people in a suite, and some not in a suite. (counting the mini as a balcony - not a suite either way).

Either both get no suite rooms, or get two suites, or suck up the 2BR issue. Are you PAYING for their cruise? That would make the 2BR easier to swallow.

I would go with the family suite. There are privacy curtains and a pocket door, they work quite well.

The bathroom has two sinks and a separate shower and great tub.

You are only steps from the pool and one flight away from the forward hot tub. All would get the perks. There are rest rooms within a short walk in case you need one.

For me, a no brainer!

Love that suite!

There is NO WAY I would pick an option that puts some people in a suite, and some not in a suite. (counting the mini as a balcony - not a suite either way).

Either both get no suite rooms, or get two suites, or suck up the 2BR issue. Are you PAYING for their cruise? That would make the 2BR easier to swallow.

No, they would be paying for their part and wouldn't be able to afford a suite on their own.

May I suggest one of the two bedroom owner's suites on deck 12? We have sailed in 12500 twice with another couple. The second room is small, but they told me that the bed is really comfortable and there was plenty of room for them. It worked out great for us; the only problem is there is no balcony. Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you. We found that we didn't miss it.

No, they would be paying for their part and wouldn't be able to afford a suite on their own.

Since you're all paying your part, go for the family suite like ValleyVillage mentioned. You'll all get the perks and if you need a second bathroom, you can just pop down the hall. Everyone gets the perks and you can't go wrong with that!

May I suggest one of the two bedroom owner's suites on deck 12? We have sailed in 12500 twice with another couple. The second room is small, but they told me that the bed is really comfortable and there was plenty of room for them. It worked out great for us; the only problem is there is no balcony. Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you. We found that we didn't miss it.

Yes, no balcony is a deal breaker for us. We loved our mini-suite balcony because we could read/eat/relax privately away from the crowds.

How compatble are the two couples? Do you go to bed and get up at similar times? If not, will the night owls and/or early birds be able to be quiet enough for the others? Can you imagine sharing one bathroom most of the day?

If pretty compatible and kind, I'd go for the family suite #5. The privacy curtains should suffice for such adults. Everyone would have suite perks. The suite bathroom is great. Also remember, most ships have showers and such in the fitness cenert/spa area, so people might take turns using such facitlities at peak bathroom usage times. Public restrooms are close by for other busy times.

If not so compatible, go for 1 is suite perks are not important to you or #6 if suite perks are a plus.

Unless you are willing to forgo some suite perks (like Cagney's), I would not do the suite inside combo, as you indicate the others would be disappointed.

I would also recommend a family suite with balcony for all the above noted reasons. As the balcony is important to you I would suggest cabin 12*22 and 12*26 as those 4 cabins have the largest balconies in the category. 12*20 have the next largest balcony followed by 12*28 rooms. Steer clear of the 12*30 cabins as the balcony is much smaller. Also those 2 cabins are not recommended by others because of the balcony and also that angled wall gives the appearance the room is larger/better but any reports I have read seem to say otherwise. Apparently looks, in this case, can be deceiving.

If you are interested in the family suite with balcony, a simple search of this forum will confirm the balcony sizes I mentioned.

Have a great cruise with whichever option you choose.

Although, it is the priciest I would go 2 bedroom suite. Everyone has their own bathroom and sleeping space/privacy. Albeit, the second room is small, you will all have the perks of suites. Also, look into whatever OBC they are currently offering, that may offset the extra. However, it really does depend on your in-laws financial situation. If they cannot afford anything more than a inside, so be it. When split down the middle, your looking at each party only spending an additional $250.

If we were traveling with you, we would prefer the tight 2nd bedroom vs a room with one shared bath and curtain separating things. I would probably prefer our own balcony vs the oversized room they call a suite.

In the 2br Penthouse, that 2nd bedroom is totally private and the bath as well.

The open area in the 2br suite is totally private from the master and the 2nd bedroom.

that is just us.

If we were traveling with you, we would prefer the tight 2nd bedroom vs a room with one shared bath and curtain separating things. I would probably prefer our own balcony vs the oversized room they call a suite.

In the 2br Penthouse, that 2nd bedroom is totally private and the bath as well.

The open area in the 2br suite is totally private from the master and the 2nd bedroom.

that is just us.

My father-in-law is 6' tall which is why I feel like the 2nd bedroom's bed wouldn't work. Every video I've been able to find has children/young teens using the room.

Although, it is the priciest I would go 2 bedroom suite. Everyone has their own bathroom and sleeping space/privacy. Albeit, the second room is small, you will all have the perks of suites. Also, look into whatever OBC they are currently offering, that may offset the extra. However, it really does depend on your in-laws financial situation. If they cannot afford anything more than a inside, so be it. When split down the middle, your looking at each party only spending an additional $250.

Do you know if a 6' person can sleep on that 2nd bed? My father-in-law is 6' tall which is why I don't think that second bedroom would work for us.

How compatble are the two couples? Do you go to bed and get up at similar times? If not, will the night owls and/or early birds be able to be quiet enough for the others? Can you imagine sharing one bathroom most of the day?

If pretty compatible and kind, I'd go for the family suite #5. The privacy curtains should suffice for such adults. Everyone would have suite perks. The suite bathroom is great. Also remember, most ships have showers and such in the fitness cenert/spa area, so people might take turns using such facitlities at peak bathroom usage times. Public restrooms are close by for other busy times.

If not so compatible, go for 1 is suite perks are not important to you or #6 if suite perks are a plus.

Unless you are willing to forgo some suite perks (like Cagney's), I would not do the suite inside combo, as you indicate the others would be disappointed.

I love my in-laws and they love me, so luckily getting along won't be a problem. They are early birds, but so are we when we cruise. Rarely do we sleep past 6:30am on the cruise. I really want a suite, my husband doesn't particularly care. I'll have to run this all by my in-laws as well to see what they think. I just wanted advice before doing so.

There are some great ideas here but, if it were my family, I'd go with something both couples would enjoy equally. I know you wouldn't get any perks if you both had balcony cabins but that's how I'd prefer to do it.

There'll be other times, when you're cruising alone, to do the suite thing with all the perks, so why not do the simple thing this time.

Two balconies with connecting doors and sometimes the steward will open the partition between the balconies for you even. (while you're in port usually)

Personally, I'm not sure I'd be happy with an inside cabin and what you'd pay the butler to serve breakfast for all of you might be better spent getting the UDP for everyone. JMO

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide. Good Luck

I love my in-laws and they love me, so luckily getting along won't be a problem. They are early birds, but so are we when we cruise. Rarely do we sleep past 6:30am on the cruise. I really want a suite, my husband doesn't particularly care. I'll have to run this all by my in-laws as well to see what they think. I just wanted advice before doing so.

Excellent. Really, I was not thinking so much about the amount of love as the logistics. Even with curtains, it could be difficult if one couple stays up late and wants to sleep until noon; by then early birds could feel the day is half over! Not so in your case. As long as you and your loving in laws can work together to make it work, give the Family suite serious consideration. It is the least expensive option, which sounds better for the in laws. And you all get suite perks; I love those. A single bathroom could be a challange, but I'd happily shower at off hours or use fitness center shower everyday if we all could have suite perks for a decent price. The $800 saved vs the two bedroom suite be well spent elsewher (or saved for the next cruise).

As the least expensive option, you potentially might be in a better position if prices drop after final payment.

Good luck and happy cruising whichever way you go.

A few more ideas for yous', sign up for AARP for $16 a year, and save about 5% on the cruise price, not applicable for port fees or taxes.

Consider the BIG Membership stores which have travel services, and book through them, can be substantial savings. If you do this, be sure they give you the proper, $300 OBC, instead of a lower OBC. The folks there are not experts, you have to direct them to the discounts.

And if you book a suite 9 months or more out, you get a $300 OBC for the cabins.

Good luck. ;)

Now thinking about it, I would do something where you both get equivalent type rooms. So that everyone is on the same level playing field. One room is not better than the other. That will be the most cost-effective for both of you and the money you save, you can treat them to the perks as in specialty dining or spa passes. As your In-laws have never cruised before, they cannot miss something they have never had.

Now thinking about it, I would do something where you both get equivalent type rooms. So that everyone is on the same level playing field. One room is not better than the other. That will be the most cost-effective for both of you and the money you save, you can treat them to the perks as in specialty dining or spa passes. As your In-laws have never cruised before, they cannot miss something they have never had.

Unless I am misreading the original post, sharing the family suite is the most cost effective option. Sharing that single large,wonderful space would give everyone suite perks:D. The price difference between two balconies and the family suite would likely largely go toward extra tips for all those perks, but some might be leftover for some extras like dining.

I also would reccomend the family suite....lots of room and with the slide out wall and the curtins, its fine...Im an early bird and my DD is a late sleeper that is a light sleeper, and the curtins and wall worked out fine. In fact, we have another one booked for our Jan cruise. Cant wait!!!! :D

If privacy and suite perks are important to you then I would recommend the 2 bedroom suite. Although the second bedroom is small, it will give everyone their own private space. You could even pay a little extra since you have the master bedroom, to make the price a little more accommodating for the difference in sleeping arrangements. We normally stay in the Family Suite (SJ) and love the set and how spacious the room feels. There is plenty of room for 4 people. There were 3 girls when we went the first time and we re-booked it again for another cruise for just my husband and myself for this October.

We have 3 college age boys and we booked the 2 bedroom for us as a family for our family vacation next year because we wanted to be together, wanted the perks of a suite but still wanted privacy too. A curtain was just not going to be enough for my husband and I to have the privacy we would want. The Deluxe owners suite was also an option but you mentioned not having a balcony was a deal breaker so that wouldn't work for you.

I think you will have a fabulous time no matter what you choose...after all...when you are cruising...how can it be bad? :)

Edited by annietownsend

My husband and I are planning to take our next cruise in 2016 and are thinking about inviting his parents to join us. They've never been on a cruise and this would be our 3rd one.

In April, my husband and I were on Dawn in a mini-suite and we loved it. It was the perfect amount of space since we spent a lot of time in the room relaxing.

When we go in 2016, it would likely be on the Dawn again since she is moving to NOLA and that's only a 5 hour drive for us so no need to fly.

I'm looking for the best, but cheapest option. What I'm looking for is to have one of the rooms to have seating for 4 to eat dinner if we order room service and the balcony to be big enough to sit 4 if we all want to lounge together.

I've looked at the 2 bedroom suite, but the 2nd bedroom is just too small for 2 other adults. I've looked at a combination of 2 connecting balcony rooms or a mini and an inside and they could use our balcony.The mini-suite balcony isn't quite big enough for what I'd like to use it for.

The biggest thing that makes me hesitate between one suite and one non-suite are the perks. I know they can't share them with us and that would greatly disappoint them. I've never been in a suite, so I can't miss something I've never had.

So which of the following would you choose?

1) 2 connecting balcony rooms (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms; cons - can't really "share" the space) $4803

2) 1 mini-suite and 1 inside (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms, cheapest option; cons - can't really "share" the space) $4583

3) Aft Penthouse Suite and 1 inside (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms, has dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; con - most expensive) $5183

4) Forward Penthouse Suite and 1 inside (pros - 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms, has dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; con - most expensive with #3) $5283

5) Family Suite with Balcony (pros - has dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; cheapest option along with #2; cons - one bathroom, one room $4503

6) 2 bedroom Suite (pros - 2 bathrooms, 1 room, dining space for 4 and roomy balcony we can share; cons - tiny 2nd bedroom, most expensive with #3 and #4) $5323

###I would suggest #6.

Last April we did the same thing & the other couple was comfortable in the other bedroom. Remember you only sleep there. your inlaws will also have there own bathroom.

Remember that the 3 & 4th passenger is usually only about $499-$599. What we did was pretty much split it 4 ways. Or you can pay what you would have for a suite & your in-laws could pay what a balcony would have been. Just remember that you will also have to tip the Butler & Concierge

Edited by mabones