Another Cunard Virgin!

Deeliteful

I have recently booked a short (7 day) cruise on the Queen Elizabeth and really looking forward to it. I have cruised many times before but never with Cunard and my DS will be cruising for the very first time :) so exciting for both of us.

Couple of questions please for Cunard veterans:

Is the entertainment geared toward US or UK passengers? or neither?

How good is the entertainment? (I realise this is very subjective).

Is it very different from other cruiselines I have been on e.g. Celebrity, P&O, RCI, Azmara?

What are the demographics on board a Med cruise (this may be like asking how long is a piece of String!) in terms of age and nationality.

Apart from Fred Olsen I have never been on a bad cruise (actually the FO one wasn't BAD but I wouldn't sail with them again).

Any Cunard details I really MUST know about?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

I have recently booked a short (7 day) cruise on the Queen Elizabeth and really looking forward to it. I have cruised many times before but never with Cunard and my DS will be cruising for the very first time :) so exciting for both of us.

Is it very different from other cruiselines I have been on e.g. Celebrity, P&O, RCI, Azmara?

What are the demographics on board a Med cruise (this may be like asking how long is a piece of String!) in terms of age and nationality.

Apart from Fred Olsen I have never been on a bad cruise (actually the FO one wasn't BAD but I wouldn't sail with them again).

Thanks in advance.

Pat

OK,I'll try:

Entertainment)Generally better than most lines. Music in the theater should appeal to both cultures.Good costuming & dancing good singing overall. Better ship bands by far.You'll see a lot of quartets in various parts of the ship.Great topical speakers..More UK pax will like this.

Agewise the demographic is generally over 60. You'll see some of the geriatric set, but most are quite capable of getting along just fine. Dresscode wise, it's pretty formal. You should already know that by the mailings from Cunard. Cunard is like P&O but with more attention to detail. If you can travel in the Grills, do try it. It's pricey but the ambience is second to none.

Hi Deeliteful,

We have sailed on the QE and we enjoyed the experience. Still a cruise ship in design (the floating cork of balconies) but attractive in the interior.

While we have never sailed the Mediterranean circuit, we understand that itinerary includes a lot of port days. Is that where you will sail?

DH and I are big fans of the insight programs (daytime lecture series) and find the speakers extremely interesting---many are UK in origin, accent, and subject matter, but nothing we felt (as people from the USA) that wasn't geared to entertain and inform us as well as passengers from other counties.

We think the insight program is a real strength for Cunard---one of the reasons we prefer voyages that include a good number of days "at sea."

In terms of the dress code, in my opinion, it isn't anything intimating---it's more a matter of compliance. DH and I sailed on Celebrity for the first time last spring and saw a number of inappropriately dressed people in the dining room on both formal and informal nights. On Cunard ships, I have seen very, very, very few infractions. So, the overall dress code is just carried off more successfully on Cunard ships. And, yes, "informal" means gentleman still wear jackets to the dining room---most still sport ties as well, although ties are no longer mandatory on informal night.

Daytime dress is (in my experience) practical and casual---fitting the climate--but rarely, rarely anything sloppy. I've seen what I would label "sloppy clothes" more on Princess in the Caribbean. Hard to say if this was because it was Princess or because it was the Caribbean.

I think the character of any ship, at any given time, is influenced by the predominate nationalities onboard. DH and I enjoy meeting people from other countries --part of the traveling experience.

keithm mentioned the pleasure of sailing "Grills class" which I'm sure is just as nice, wonderful (and expensive) as people say. In contrast, Dh and I are happy and satisfied inside cabin people. The range of accommodations suits different people for different reasons. In public areas, all passengers seem to intermingle harmoniously on Cunard ships.

We have sailed with Cunard a bit and honestly evening entertainment varies. Over the years, some we liked and some not so much. But, this more from personal preference than quality of performances. Usually, different types of entertainment is offered in the theater on different nights. A comedian one night. Violinists another night. Singers and dancers the next night. ….like on other cruise lines. Comparing our one Celebrity experience with many on Cunard, Cunard's evening entertainment was superior.

I think staff on Cunard ships is more business-like than on Celebrity. Not unfriendly, but don't expect the waiter to join in dinner time conversations or the steward to make towel animals for your bed.

I hope you have a wonderful time and that you will share your experience and impressions on CC after your voyage. Happy Sailing!

Hi Deeliteful,

We have sailed on the QE and we enjoyed the experience. Still a cruise ship in design (the floating cork of balconies) but attractive in the interior.

While we have never sailed the Mediterranean circuit, we understand that itinerary includes a lot of port days. Is that where you will sail?

DH and I are big fans of the insight programs (daytime lecture series) and find the speakers extremely interesting---many are UK in origin, accent, and subject matter, but nothing we felt (as people from the USA) that wasn't geared to entertain and inform us as well as passengers from other counties.

We think the insight program is a real strength for Cunard---one of the reasons we prefer voyages that include a good number of days "at sea."

In terms of the dress code, in my opinion, it isn't anything intimating---it's more a matter of compliance. DH and I sailed on Celebrity for the first time last spring and saw a number of inappropriately dressed people in the dining room on both formal and informal nights. On Cunard ships, I have seen very, very, very few infractions. So, the overall dress code is just carried off more successfully on Cunard ships. And, yes, "informal" means gentleman still wear jackets to the dining room---most still sport ties as well, although ties are no longer mandatory on informal night.

Daytime dress is (in my experience) practical and casual---fitting the climate--but rarely, rarely anything sloppy. I've seen what I would label "sloppy clothes" more on Princess in the Caribbean. Hard to say if this was because it was Princess or because it was the Caribbean.

I think the character of any ship, at any given time, is influenced by the predominate nationalities onboard. DH and I enjoy meeting people from other countries --part of the traveling experience.

keithm mentioned the pleasure of sailing "Grills class" which I'm sure is just as nice, wonderful (and expensive) as people say. In contrast, Dh and I are happy and satisfied inside cabin people. The range of accommodations suits different people for different reasons. In public areas, all passengers seem to intermingle harmoniously on Cunard ships.

We have sailed with Cunard a bit and honestly evening entertainment varies. Over the years, some we liked and some not so much. But, this more from personal preference than quality of performances. Usually, different types of entertainment is offered in the theater on different nights. A comedian one night. Violinists another night. Singers and dancers the next night. ….like on other cruise lines. Comparing our one Celebrity experience with many on Cunard, Cunard's evening entertainment was superior.

I think staff on Cunard ships is more business-like than on Celebrity. Not unfriendly, but don't expect the waiter to join in dinner time conversations or the steward to make towel animals for your bed.

I hope you have a wonderful time and that you will share your experience and impressions on CC after your voyage. Happy Sailing!

Hi jimmybean,

A huge WELL SAID from me :) Balanced and informative, a genuine pleasure to read, and re-read, thank you :)

Sincere best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Lol, strange how dress code always comes into it, I don't think I even asked about that. I am aware of how to dress appropriately. Thanks for all of the comments, Jimmybean it is quite port intensive with 2 sea days.

Not sure the Insight programmes are really for me but thanks for the insight!

Look forward to sharing my thoughts on the cruise and happy to hear from anyone else re Cunard and the QE.

Lol, strange how dress code always comes into it, I don't think I even asked about that. I am aware of how to dress appropriately. Thanks for all of the comments, Jimmybean it is quite port intensive with 2 sea days.

Not sure the Insight programmes are really for me but thanks for the insight!

Look forward to sharing my thoughts on the cruise and happy to hear from anyone else re Cunard and the QE.

No offense intended, Deeliteful, and I apologize if it sounded like I was lecturing you about dress code… You did say: "Any Cunard details I really MUST know about?" and because there are frequent queries about dress code I added comments on that subject.

I find port-intensive voyages not as relaxing as when there are lots of sea days. That is just my husband and my stage of life and preference. I would very much like to visit the Mediterranean someday.

Looking forward to your review and Happy Sailing to You!

No offense was taken JB. I love the Transatlantic cruises with all of those lovely sea days but as this is my sister's first cruise she only wanted 7 days to see if she likes cruising (!).

They are lovely ports too - sailing out of Venice which is amazing and then Croatia, Greece and Turkey.

Cheers

Pat

I take it that the lectures/seminars, exercise classes, cards and trivia are offered as usual. But what sort of activities do Cunard do that may be different to say Princess or X for sea days?

Lectures on a Princess ship and on Cunard are day and night in my experience--with Cunard offering more quality.

All cruise lines have a lot in common. It's the nuances that makes each distinct.

No offense was taken JB. I love the Transatlantic cruises with all of those lovely sea days but as this is my sister's first cruise she only wanted 7 days to see if she likes cruising (!).

They are lovely ports too - sailing out of Venice which is amazing and then Croatia, Greece and Turkey.

Cheers

Pat

I hope your sister has a splendid first experience! How can she not? What wonderful travel destinations!

Lectures on a Princess ship and on Cunard are day and night in my experience--with Cunard offering more quality.

All cruise lines have a lot in common. It's the nuances that makes each distinct.

Thank you, I like to get along to the lectures etc and do enjoy trivia but thought their may be some different options as well.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Welcome to Cunard. I have only been on the QM2, but I suspect the Cunard ships are very similar.

There are several things that I love about the QM2. The first, that stands out in my mind, is the absolute civility of the ship. It is wonderful. The second, the traditional, not overdone, beauty of the ship. I can't comment on the entertainment because I have seldom gone to the shows. I have gone to a few lectures and most speakers have been British, but lectures are for everyone I would think. I enjoy the different music in the lounges. But mainly my main entertainment is on the decks, enjoying the beautiful sea views.

I too have been on many cruises on many cruise lines and have not been on a bad one. I love ships and the sea which helps. I tend to embrace the differences. However, you made a statement that you wouldn't sail with Fred Olsen again. May I ask why? The reason I am asking is that I have been considering a cruise around Britain and have discovered that the Fred Olsen ships go to some of the smaller ports that I would like to visit. And the ships tend to sail around Britain in the summer which I believe would be more enjoyable.

Gail:)

Hi Gail

Well these things are subjective but several reasons I wouldn't sail with FO are that they are more 3* cruising than others I have been on, ships are old and small (don't have a problem with small per se - I loved Azamara), food is pretty basic and the ship is too British!

Now I am a Brit but FO still seem to be catering for OLD Brits (I'm 63) with singalongs etc., and it seems stuck in the 50s IMO. Just not my cup of tea but accept that others love it.

My FO cruise was 12 years ago and I thought the ships were old then they may have been refurbed since!

Pat

Edited by Deeliteful

Hi Gail

Well these things are subjective but several reasons I wouldn't sail with FO are that they are more 3* cruising than others I have been on, ships are old and small (don't have a problem with small per se - I loved Azamara), food is pretty basic and the ship is too British!

Now I am a Brit but FO still seem to be catering for OLD Brits (I'm 63) with singalongs etc., and it seems stuck in the 50s IMO. Just not my cup of tea but accept that others love it.

My FO cruise was 12 years ago and I thought the ships were old then they may have been refurbed since!

Pat

Thank you, Pat. I will have to give it a lot of thought. I don't fly so last year we took the QM2 to and from the UK. I am embarrassed to say UK because I was called on the carpet for that and was told I shouldn't say UK unless I am talking about the other parts of the UK. So I guess I should say I went to England and Scotland. I didn't see near enough. I did manage to get to York and want to see a lot more of Yorkshire. And I saw Edinburgh and I would like to see more of Scotland. But the places I would love to see is Hull, Newcastle and Leith, Scotland. Oh and the Yorkshire Moors. I know that must sound a little strange but I would like to do a little research on my ancestors as well as explore the ports and cultures in those areas.

Anyway, I thought that a cruise that would take me to the smaller ports would work. Somehow the ship you described would be perfect for the areas I would like to see. :)

Gail - don't die wondering is one of my mottos - give it a whirl! Yorkshire is a fabulous place to visit - so much to see but would be tough doing it from a cruise as you get so little time.

Whatever you do - enjoy!

Pat

Edited by Deeliteful

As a Tyke, someone born and bred in Yorkshire I totally see the attraction. I hope you get to see more of Gods own county one of these days! We too are Cunard virgins and so I'm finding this these of particular interest . We have previously cruised with Princess and loved it. However the itinerary we wanted-Med and Dalmation coast , was better with Cunard . It all sounds lovely and I can't wait til next June !

As a Tyke, someone born and bred in Yorkshire I totally see the attraction. I hope you get to see more of Gods own county one of these days! We too are Cunard virgins and so I'm finding this these of particular interest . We have previously cruised with Princess and loved it. However the itinerary we wanted-Med and Dalmation coast , was better with Cunard . It all sounds lovely and I can't wait til next June !

Yes, the Cunard ships are just lovely in a traditional sense. The formal nights are just wonderful, everyone looks so nice. I have never been on Princess, but I have been on Holland America and Royal Caribbean, as well as an old ship, the Britanis. And I have never been on a ship I didn't like, however my favorite is Cunard.

And I think that we will go to and from England next year via the QM2 and exlore "God's Country" by car, with tongue in cheek. :)

Yes, the Cunard ships are just lovely in a traditional sense. The formal nights are just wonderful, everyone looks so nice. I have never been on Princess, but I have been on Holland America and Royal Caribbean, as well as an old ship, the Britanis. And I have never been on a ship I didn't like, however my favorite is Cunard.

And I think that we will go to and from England next year via the QM2 and explore "God's Country" by car, with tongue in cheek. :)

And I think that we will go to and from England next year via the QM2 and explore "God's Country" by car, with tongue in cheek. :)

That may be your best plan to see the countryside. I am looking forward to sailing on Cunard and as I have sailed on a few differing lines, I am expecting that Cunard will be more similar than different and hope that and anticipate the subtle differences in service, standards etc are for the better.

That may be your best plan to see the countryside. I am looking forward to sailing on Cunard and as I have sailed on a few differing lines, I am expecting that Cunard will be more similar than different and hope that and anticipate the subtle differences in service, standards etc are for the better.

Yes, far more civil, quieter and never crowded feeling. The times I have sailed on Cunard I have never seen anyone even remotely drunk or noisy because of drinking too much, something I can not say about some other lines. The service is excellent and never in your face, just quiet service. I think you will enjoy it.

Gail:)

There are wine packages (either all red, all white, or choose your mix) but no "drink cards" a la Carnival - other than soft drinks.

Cheers for that, the soda card may be all I need for most of the day until dinner anyway.:D