Getting last minute refund

denmarks

Yes, I do feel for the family and maybe it is more heartfelt because it's a child diagnosed with cancer.....but that's why there's insurance. If every line gave a refund or offered to reschedule for any and every one who had a last minute "medical situation", there would be no need for anyone to purchase the insurance.

I always read Fox News due to their conservative view. Today they have a headline story about a family who did not purchase cruise insurance and at the last minute their son had to go in for cancer surgery. The article makes the cruise line seem like the bad guy. What is your opinion?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/27/cruise-line-refuses-to-re-book-family-vacation-after-5-year-old-diagnosed-with/

This is a sad one...

Followed that story too. Agree with all the rest. That's what insurance is for. Unfortunately, it appears that first time cruisers, especially, are less prone to purchase insurance. The more experienced travelers are well aware of the risks and, for them, insurance is not that big a deal.

The one part of the cruise line's position that I did not agree with was their alleged refusal to transfer the credit to a charity program.

A few years ago, two weeks before I was to leave for a cruise to Alaska, I fell and broke my leg in three places and tore three ligaments around my ankle. I didn't have insurance - I lost everything. I didn't complain to anyone, I just sucked it up; a very expensive lesson learned.

You might also have lost a little of your dignity too. And I'm betting there was a "little" complaining going on just maybe not about the cruiseline not giving your money back :D. I always tell people, if someone is going to walk into a wall, sliding door, fall down a stair or hill - and you are out with me, suffix it to say, you are safe. I have broken toes on my left foot so many times that I've actually damaged my foot so I can talk.

How many of us have walked laps around a deck, and proudly wear our Make A Wish t-shirts. Obviously the cruise industry has a heart and does promote and support charitable events.

While we can all sympathize (and some of us directly relate) with the family there is an obvious difference between personal responsibility and corporate heart vs greed.

The article also quoted NCL as saying they would help them with a future booking, they may well have been willing to do something for them without broadcasting it!

Yes, I read this too and I wish we knew what NCL means when they say "help them". For all we know without any more info they are giving the family a free or deeply discounted cruise.

I do not think the cruise line should have any responsibility for this situation. That is why passengers should get travel insurance. After 55 cruises and many other land trips we have spent several thousand on insurance.

If the cruise line were to give a refund in this case then I would be super angry because it means that I have wasted all that money buying insurance.

Just my opinion.

You might also have lost a little of your dignity too. And I'm betting there was a "little" complaining going on just maybe not about the cruiseline not giving your money back :D. ...

Well, actually I did a little complaining - to myself, about missing the cruise, and life in general. But canceling was for the best, I live alone and also don't have anyone to go on cruises with me, so I wouldn't have had any assistance getting around on the ship. It was bad enough managing after I got home after spending a week in the hospital.

Edited by Treven